McDouble is 'cheapest and most nutritious food in human history'

clapclapclap

Sack telling us how he’s a Houston slumlord again and calling his Mexican tenants that he profits off of fat again. Some things never do change. 

But it sounds like his tenants are fortunate enough to not have to shop at Randall’s. So they’ve got that going for them.

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

There are 100 ways to get better nutrition than the McDouble for cheaper.  For example, from HEB I can get:

• 3 eggs (hardboiled)  = 234 cal, 18 g protein, 1.5 g carbs, 15 g fat = $0.45
  • 8 oz milk = 148 cal, 8 g protein, 12 g carbs, 8 g fat = $0.14
  • 2 slices whole wheat toast = 120 cal, 6 g protein, 22 g carbs, 2 g fat = $0.17
  • -----------------------------------------------------
  • Total = 502 cal, 36 g protein, 36 g carbs, 25 g fat = $0.76

Yeah - but are they open???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Went to lunch with a coworker today and spent 14 dollars on a salad from Salata. Give me that Mcdouble fam

I spent over $18 for 2 salads for me and my girlfriend at Chuck E Cheese tonight. The salad wasn't great, but it was better than eating one their grease soaked pizzas.

Edited by immortal13

A couple of points.

1. Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

2. Any calculation of “cheaper” options (rice and beans, etc.) needs to include the cost of a place to store and cook the food (some percentage of the rent/mortgage, utilities, cost of appliances, etc.) as well as the value of the time to acquire and prepare the food. Time and space have a value that need to be accounted for.

3. Long term health costs should be accounted for as well.

4. The cost/benefit of the shorter lifespan (lower earnings but also much lower expenses) associated with a diet high in McDonalds should also be considered. A person that is a net negative economically might offset the increased medical costs depending on how long they live.

5. Any serious analysis of the 4th factor might qualify you as a sociopath.

• Like 1

I guess my Dad was ahead of his time. When I was a Lil' RPM travelling with him we almost always ate cheeseburgers. I asked him why he always ordered the same thing and he said the cheeseburger was the perfect meal. Meat, dairy, vegetable, fruit and bread. Made sense to me at the time once he explained tomato was a fruit. Then he added, "it's pretty hard to fuck up a cheeseburger."

• Like 1

In addition to buying and preparing food, the poors would have to have a working oven, stove, and or microwave, as well as pots, pans, plates and utensils.  As we have seen from Vic's food thread, none of those are particularly great assumptions.

Also, my in-laws, who are almost 80 and lack college educations, do not know simple from complex carbs and other nutrition basics (my FIL, who fled Hungary in the 50s on foot, is on the right track, but he thinks its gluten that's the problem, not simple carbs).  But they do know the value of a balanced diet.  I'm not sure where all of us picked up that information, maybe health class? My mother was a home economics major, which amounted to nutrition basically.  And she was ahead of her time, approving the Atkins diet the first time around (70s) and calling BS on the low-fat diets.

My in-laws are not poors or stupid. But their lack of nutrition science knowledge kind of astounds me and assures me that poors, even today, know even less.

Edited by TwiceHorn

People are actually denying that there are food deserts? They are absolutely a real thing. If I didn't have a car, it would be a serious pain in the ass to go to a grocery store, including mexican markets, and I don't live in BFE by any means. There are numerous fast food outlets much closer, but as many have pointed out, calories per dollar is a stupid way of measuring nutritional value.

19 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

But when they take themselves out of the workforce, they don't die for 20-30 years so I have to pay for those "advances in medicine" through taxes.

It's like living in a gated community. Yeah, it probably costs more but it's worth it.

41 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I have.  See the shart thread for details!

Many years ago,  I worked with a guy that was physically incapable of holding back a fart. One time he went on a vegetable diet that included massive amounts of brocolli and green leafy vegetables. The amount of wind that guy passed was amazing.

Unfortunately, he broke his diet for an enchilada plate from Las Palapas during lunch. He ended up letting out an epic shart in the office that turned out not to be just a shart.

15 minutes ago, HighlandMidge said:

LOL

It sounded like someone was using a spray gun hopper to coat a wall in mud. The moment I realized it was the sound of caca flinging against his baggy pants will never be forgotten or not make me laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I've never seen a food desert. 

The redneck / white trash town of San Leon Bacliff, on Galveston Bay, is a food desert. There is a grocery store there but the produce is beyond abominable -- I think the owners fish it out of dumpsters from real grocery stores. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

When I worked for Motorola we had a contract with OG&E and I went to some of the shittiest parts of Oklahoma for a day or 2. They have nothing but a gas station with old shit on shelves and a hunt brothers pizza or a Krispy Kreme by or some shit inside. You want even fast food you are driving 20 minutes a real grocery store even further. Food desert is a real thing

In the early 80s, Reagan’s Agriculture Secretary John Bock responded to claims of inadequate food stamp assistance by inviting reporters to shop with him in a typical lower middle class grocery store (I presume HEB wasn’t open). 

He was able to purchase enough food to feed a family - with stamps to spare - including whole chickens, potatoes, apples, oranges, cereal, milk, etc. A dietician verified that it was adequate for a healthy, balanced diet.

IIRC, he may have even picked up some brown rice and beans.

Those critics responded that it was demeaning to expect poors to cut up their own chickens and not have a infinite variety of foods.

It helps to be old enough to remember Reagan’s first term.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

In the early 80s, Reagan’s Agriculture Secretary John Bock responded to claims of inadequate food stamp assistance by inviting reporters to shop with him in a typical lower middle class grocery store (I presume HEB wasn’t open). 

He was able to purchase enough food to feed a family - with stamps to spare - including whole chickens, potatoes, apples, oranges, cereal, milk, etc. A dietician verified that it was adequate for a healthy, balanced diet.

IIRC, he may have even picked up some brown rice and beans.

Those critics responded that it was demeaning to expect poors to cut up their own chickens and not have a infinite variety of foods.

It helps to be old enough to remember Reagan’s first term.

Was he the guy that tried to get ketchup classified as a vegetable?

11 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Was he the guy that tried to get ketchup classified as a vegetable?

Close...it was Reagan’s Budget Director, David Stockman, who wanted the USDA to classify ketchup as a vegetable.

P.S. - I think the story was that he wanted schools to be able to classify it as a vegetable in their lunch programs. The problem was that it would take way more than a serving of ketchup to equal a serving of vegetables. And it was intended as more of an inquiry as to whether it would qualify, but the press got ahold of it and ran.

i also recall that playing a part in having a dietician review his grocery store haul because he didn’t want critics to dismiss it by saying, “Yeah, but this is coming from the department that wanted to classify ketchup as a vegetable.”

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 1/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, Beau Vine said:

Back when I was in grad school and still weighed like 120 pounds, I used to stop at a convenience store on the way to campus every morning and buy two fried fruit pies for breakfast.  Those things had about 1500 calories each.  

Like these, except the local brand:
0078993683f7ab469bcd2a5823a1f853.jpg

Those were awesome.  Never got a chance to try the Blackberry, though.

Tried one a few years ago.  Didn't taste near as good as back in the day (but maybe it got stale sitting in that food desert.) 

10 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Bruce's made the best fried apple pies ever and these pecan pies were great too.

64f50e4526ac6a87fc41371da17fa54f--fried-

Those were good and the pecan was finominole. But I preferred August's pies. Tasted homemade, flaky crust and no icing. 

Team Cherry.

AR-309029913.jpg

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Those were good and the pecan was finominole. But I preferred August's pies. Tasted homemade, flaky crust and no icing. 

Team Cherry.

AR-309029913.jpg

Never heard of August's Pies but Bruces did not fave that god awful frosting either.

Frosting also ruined Blueberry Pop Tarts since you can no longer get them without it. 

41 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Ketchup/hot water was something I saw on Happy Days moons ago, only tried it a handful of times. 

jfc, that bit is old. Remember seeing it in 1930's comedy films. Walk into a coffee shop, order a cup of hot water then make a meal out of ketchup, crackers and whatever else was sitting on the counter.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

jfc, that bit is old. Remember seeing it in 1930's comedy films. Walk into a coffee shop, order a cup of hot water then make a meal out of ketchup, crackers and whatever else was sitting on the counter.

I think the first time I ever saw it was on an episode of "I Love Lucy". Iirc they were wanting to be where the "stars" were on their epic trip to California but couldn't afford to eat there so Lucy and Ethel were going the cheap route.

26 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My son is like Whimpy from Popeyes.  He could live off of nothing but cheeseburgers.

Makes sense, when you work with and smell that spicy chicken all day every day you eventually want something different.

Send him to Olympia's Restaurant in Chicago.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c421b2549415a5863

Edited by clapclapclap
"Cheeeburgah, cheeeburgah, cheeeburgah, cheeeburgah, Pepsi, no Coke."