John Wetteland arrested for child sex abuse

Dennis Taylor

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25769522/former-mlb-pitcher-john-wetteland-arrested-child-sexual-abuse-charge

sick piece of shit if guilty

Former major league closer John Wetteland was arrested Monday on a charge of sexual abuse of a child under the age of 14, police records show.

The 52-year-old was released from custody after posting a $25,000 surety bond according to the Denton County (Texas) Sheriff's Office.

In 12 seasons, Wetteland was 48-45 with a 2.93 ERA and 330 saves. He was a member of the New York Yankees' 1996 World Series championship team and was named MVP of the series. He also played for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Montreal Expos and Texas Rangers.

Wetteland is a member of the Rangers' Hall of Fame and currently lives in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Trophy Club, Texas.

Yep, just came to post the same. 

Texas Rangers Hall of Fame pitcher John Wetteland was arrested Monday over accusations that he sexually assaulted a child for two years starting at the age of 4.

Wetteland, 52, is charged with continuous sexual abuse of a child under the age of 14. The Trophy Club resident posted $25,000 bond and was released from custody the same day as his arrest.

He forced a relative to perform a sex act on him, according to his arrest-warrant affidavit, beginning in 2004 when the child was 4 years old. It happened twice more during a two-year period, the accuser said.

The abuse occurred at Wetteland's home in Bartonville, about 10 miles south of Denton, the affidavit said. 

According to the Dallas Morning News, Wetteland is a born-again Christian who has taught Bible studies and coached baseball at a nearby Christian school. It’s not known if the sex abuse charge has anything to do with the school, though the Dallas Morning News reported that Wetteland no longer has any connection to it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-world-series-mvp-john-wetteland-arrested-child-sex-abuse-charge-185639268.html

So he's being charged in 2019 with sexual abuse of a 4-6 year old from 2006 to 2008?

I have no idea what the proper reaction to that is. The Greg Kelley case comes to mind and those charges were much closer chronologically to the alleged crime. Then again Wetteland has a rumored history of mental issues.

The situation sucks really bad for multiple people no matter what the truth is.

• Like 1

Wetteland was the big signee for '97 but that team fell on its face and they bounced back to win division in '98. Great pitcher, but he never seemed to fit the fun culture of those playoff teams. In your face religion and kind of odd with media as I recall.

23 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So he's being charged in 2019 with sexual abuse of a 4-6 year old from 2006 to 2008?

I have no idea what the proper reaction to that is. The Greg Kelley case comes to mind and those charges were much closer chronologically to the alleged crime. Then again Wetteland has a rumored history of mental issues.

The situation sucks really bad for multiple people no matter what the truth is.

I heard a few details today that made me a bit skeptical. The investigation was done by Bartonville PD. They are a tiny 3 man PD. They could have kicked it up to Denton County S.O., a larger more experienced department that has handled cases like this, but they didn't.

Is he guilty? Did they botch the investigation? I have no idea, but I would have been a lot more comfortable if it was more than just Roscoe and Enos doing the police work.

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Those late '90s Yankees teams had the market cornered on overtly-Christian pedophiles -- Wetteland and Chad Curtis.  

Wanted to make a "show me on the doll where the Yankees touched you" joke, but thought wiser of it.

Whatever. Doesn't change the fact that they had one of the best 5 year runs in sports history. 

On 1/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, gsoda3 said:

that's a jolt.  

is the charge "... under the age of 14" usually that specific about the age?  is there different tiers of sexual abuse of a child?? 

Maybe life expectancy in hours based on age of victim,...  So under 14 he gets two meals and a shank puncturing his lung to die a slow death.

Back when Wetteland was the Mariners bullpen coach a group of friends and I were sitting right next to the visitors bullpen at the Ballpark. Some drunk dude behind us started mouthing off to the Ms and most of them had fun with it but Wetteland got pissed and had to be restrained from climbing the probably 10 foot wall+railing to get to this idiot. I knew then the guy had a screw loose

The California native struggled with drugs and alcohol throughout his youth but was still able to land in the minors in 1986. According to Yankees analyst and journalist Jack Curry, he almost died twice — when he was just 17.

“Once he nearly overdosed on a combination of drugs, including LSD, at a Grateful Dead concert,” wrote Curry in a 1995 profile on Wetteland for the New York Times. “Another time, Wetteland was in the front seat when a drunken friend rammed his car into a telephone pole. Something happened. He trudged on. He kept playing baseball and guitar. He kept walking crooked.”

According to his then wife, Michele, “it was difficult for him to forgive his parents for some things he had to go through as a kid.”

“He wishes they would have protected him from some of the things he experienced,” Michele explained in the 1995 article.

“He was really wild and really out there at one time and it was so opposed to my beliefs as a Christian,” she said, noting how “it really is two different persons with John.”

“God’s word says the old man is cast off. John’s old man has been cast off. If you asked me if I sit here in awe of John and how obedient he has been to God’s word, I’d tell you that I do.”

SEE ALSO

Michele could not be reached for comment Tuesday and declined to speak to the Dallas Morning News.

Neither Wetteland nor his attorney could be reached for comment.

His arrest on Tuesday is the worst turn for the former Yankees star, who has faced troubles since retiringafter the 2000 season.

After entering the coaching ranks in 2006 — a year after being inducted into the Texas Rangers’ Hall of Fame — he failed to make it through one season with the Nationals as bullpen coach.

Wetteland reportedly irked team management by encouraging pranks, like setting off firecrackers during spring training. He also allegedly tried to disassemble a video camera.

Nationals manager Frank Robinson eventually said enough is enough and fired Wetteland in June 2006.

“They seem to focus a little bit more on practical jokes and fooling around out there in the bullpen rather than focusing and concentrating on the game, and keeping their minds focused to what they would have to do when they came into the ballgame to get people out,” Robinson told the Washington Post at the time.

“I just couldn’t put up with it anymore. I talked to John on a number of occasions and told him flat-out what I needed and how I wanted things done. He just didn’t seem to understand.”

More seriously, there were once worries about Wetteland’s mental health.

In November 2009, he was hospitalized in Texas in what police believed to be a suicidal situation.

A woman at Wetteland’s home had called the cops about a possibly suicidal person believed to be Wetteland.

The CBS affiliate in Texas reported that when officers arrived at the home, Wetteland emerged, saying he “needed help.”

Edited by Beau Vine

TMZ Sports obtained court docs explaining the allegations ... and they're graphic and disturbing. 

The accuser is a male family member who claims Wetteland engaged in oral sex with him on 3 separate occasions between 2004 and 2006 ... while he was a young child. 

Wetteland has been booked for 1st degree felony continuous sex abuse of a child -- and if convicted, he faces up to LIFE in prison. 

Jesus fuck. 

34 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the more information that comes out the sadder it gets.  i really hope the kid's ok and doesn't perpetuate the cycle of abuse.  i bet dollars to donuts wetteland was abused as a child by his father.

That definitely seems to be the pattern along with the drug abuse and mental instability.  It seems like this is a mental health issue as much as anything. I wish we understood it better. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, gsoda3 said:

i bet dollars to donuts wetteland was abused as a child.

On 1/17/2019 at 12:24 PM, Beau Vine said:

According to his then wife, Michele, “it was difficult for him to forgive his parents for some things he had to go through as a kid.”

“He wishes they would have protected him from some of the things he experienced,” Michele explained in the 1995 article.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, gsoda3 said:

the more information that comes out the sadder it gets.  i really hope the kid's ok and doesn't perpetuate the cycle of abuse.  i bet dollars to donuts wetteland was abused as a child by his father.

Whether or not he was abused by his father I’ll bet dollars to donuts that his lawyer makes that claim.