Saying Yessir and Yes Mam

LCHorn

I see it the opposite of your wife.  I believe not passing on manners and pleasantries is what the poors do.  In the UK was it not one item that differentiated gentlemen from the lower crass?  I use sir and mam even when addressing my nephews as well as adults.  It's respectful and good manners.  With all due respect tell your wife to learn some.   

• Like 1

I see it the opposite of your wife.  I believe not passing on manners and pleasantries is what the poors do.  In the UK was it not one item that differentiated gentlemen from the lower crass?  I use sir and mam even when addressing my nephews as well as adults.  It's respectful and good manners.  With all due respect tell your wife to learn some.   
Funnily enough this is the pushback we get from our family. We (for the most part Texans) always say ma'am and sir because our friends did it and growing up playing sports we picked it up, but my English relatives and my English parents hate it because it's how the lower class would address the upper class.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't give two fucks what millenials or the dumbass pc culture says about it today.  It's a sign of respect.

Motto worthy.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah if can sound preachy I strive to walk the walk and not just talkI strive to walk the walk and not just talk

Stroke aside, isn’t this actually about talking the talk?

I grew up in the north through middle school. In my community sir and ma’am were only used by kids as sarcastic signs of disrespect. It was a little unnerving at first to hear it used so regularly and earnestly when I moved to Texas. 

17 hours ago, Skinny Tie said:

I was working at a firm in Chicago and some cunt from NY got pissy that I said Yes Mam to a question of hers. She never said anything to me, she called my boss after our call and said she didn’t appreciate it. Luckily she was from the Midwest and slapped that shit down.

conclusion, if you want your children to make lots of money in the city, don’t teach them manners. If you want them to be poor , stupid, slob that doesn’t know English, go right ahead.

For every one time somebody gets their sandy panties in a wad and tattles on you you probably make a good impression on at least ten times as many people by having basic manners. So if you can't handle being tattled on go right ahead and be rude.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 3