Men’s tennis 2019 season.

perfectchaos007

Don’t have time to make an in depth OP this year but with the season officially beginning tomorrow against Ole Miss it was time someone made the thread.

This veteran team is pretty much the same as last years with Sigsgaard, Ito, Telles, Scott, and Banzer all back as upper classmen. Ortiz left the program over winter break for unknown reasons meaning Markes, or one of the freshmen will need to step up into the singles lineup to fill the void. Chih-Chi-Huang seems like the best bet given his fall results.

Big 12 is going to be tough as usual and all conference teams will be ranked inside or just outside the top 25 all season. 

Let’s get it! 🤘 🎾 

UT played Ole Miss at the Miami Invitational just three days ago and won 6 of the 7 matches. So expectations are that they should win.

Of note, Cleeve Harper is listed on the roster but on his Instagram he has it as Class of '23. Might be taking a redshirt year but who knows

On 1/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Nice 7-0 sweep over Ole Miss to kick off the season. No Banzer today though I hope he’s not injured.

Looks like he isn't playing good enough to crack the lineup.

Here's the lineup submitted for this weekend:

1. Christian Sigsgaard

2. Yuya Ito

3. Leonardo Telles

4. Harrison Scott

5. Colin Markes

6. Chih Chi Huang

7. Rodrigo Banzer

8. Johnny Goodwin

9. Nevin Arimilli

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I remember the Georgetown tennis coach being suddenly let go, causing the graduate assistant Courtney Dolehide to be head coach of both women's and men's team. A head scratcher at the time because Dolehide had left her position here as women's assistant coach to pursue education (MBA) and not climb the tennis coaching ranks. Reading this, it all makes sense.

Edited by Aleemay

16 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Yikes.....I was wondering why there was a random athlete on a recruiting website on the Texas roster

This can get REALLY UGLY

Meh. I don't think the NCAA is going to care much about a school  taking payments for a recruit to be on the roster. If anything this doesn't sound like a scheme that really benefits Texas outside of the $. 

But Center is gone. CDC doesn't put up with dumb shit like this. See Eric Davis who he pretty much ran off from the basketball program. 

NCAA may not care, but Texas as an institution definitely cares about a coach taking bribes.

He's gone.  CDC doesn't put up with it and Texas should NEVER put up with it.  We're better than that.

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Okay so @perfectchaos007 and @Aleemay, who should CDC be reaching out to gauge interest? :)

Hmmm.....I'm almost sure CDC will talk to Joffe for recommendations since Joffe is known to have a lot (even compared to other coaches) of contacts within the tennis world as Joffe has worked on all levels- junior development, professional, college, and national development programs.

If CDC were looking for Texas ties, there's Rubio at Denver (but he hasn't proven himself with his recruits yet) and Roditi at TCU. Berque should get a courtesy interview as the current AC and he has top level experience as head coach of a major program (Michigan).

Other names to throw out that I'd impressed with-John Roddick (good luck wrestling him away from the national tennis center and UCF), Tony Bresky of Wake Forest (if CDC wants to aim for the moon like he did with track and softball), Matt Roberts of Mississippi State(young coach with great potential)

Written on the fly, so these are just some educated guesses

• Like 1

Well fuck. This was becoming such a promising season. I guess make coach Burque the interim. He was the head coach at Michigan iirc. Also hope we don’t get NCAA sanctioned. Our recruiting class nestled year was one of the best in the nation and now I’m sure some will opt out of their commitment. This just sucks 

Do not follow tennis closely,  but one has to ask, "Why, why..."    Center has been here almost 19 years.     Feel sorry for his family.

Michael Center arrives on the Forty Acres 
Center became only the fourth men's tennis coach in Texas Tennis history when he was hired on July 25, 2000. Center took over the reigns of the program following the legendary Dave Snyder, who retired after 28 years on July 5, 2000. Since Center joined the Texas family, he has continued to run the men's tennis program with the same class and integrity that was instilled upon it by Snyder, Wilmer Allison and Dr. D.A. Penick.

As a player
Also a tennis standout in college, Center was a four-year letterwinner at Kansas (1983-86). He captured the Big Eight No. 2 singles title during his junior year in 1985, while becoming the first player in school history to win 40 matches in a single season. Center earned his bachelor's degree from KU in broadcast management in 1986 and his master's in athletics administration in 1990.

Personal 
In September of 2000, he married Allison Holt and together the couple has two children, David Abraham, born June 1, 2002, and Benjamin Holt, born May 27, 2004.

https://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1519&path=mten

Also:

The NCAA says it will look into claims made against college coaches and administrators in the admissions bribery scandal.

In a statement, the NCAA says the "charges brought forth today are troubling and should be a concern for all of higher education."

Most NCAA rules that regulate recruiting are aimed at preventing schools and coaches from giving improper benefits and enticements to athletes.

In this case, parents were paying coaches to help students gain entry to college by falsifying athletic credentials and claiming that the students were being recruited to plays sports.

The NCAA says it is reviewing the allegations "to determine the extent to which NCAA rules maybe have been violated."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/texas/article/The-Latest-US-attorney-says-schools-not-involved-13682210.php

2 hours ago, Aleemay said:

Hmmm.....I'm almost sure CDC will talk to Joffe for recommendations since Joffe is known to have a lot (even compared to other coaches) of contacts within the tennis world as Joffe has worked on all levels- junior development, professional, college, and national development programs.

If CDC were looking for Texas ties, there's Rubio at Denver (but he hasn't proven himself with his recruits yet) and Roditi at TCU. Berque should get a courtesy interview as the current AC and he has top level experience as head coach of a major program (Michigan).

Other names to throw out that I'd impressed with-John Roddick (good luck wrestling him away from the national tennis center and UCF), Tony Bresky of Wake Forest (if CDC wants to aim for the moon like he did with track and softball), Matt Roberts of Mississippi State(young coach with great potential)

Written on the fly, so these are just some educated guesses

I didn't even think of Rubio.  Bring him back. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I need to see how much money Center allocated to the new tennis facility. If it's a good portion of the 90k some of this falls on the shoulders of the athletic directors. It's almost like not having a tennis facility was a bad idea. 

Yeah if Center was willing to throw away his reputation just to help fund the tennis center because the school was dragging its feet, heads should roll at Texas. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1