Ghostbusters (2020)

BigOrange1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Saw it last night.  Been waiting since 1989 after #2 for the next chapter in the story.  It was fun watching it through the eyes of my kids... my 11yo who picked up on almost all the references to the original, as well as my 4yo who is just starting to get into GB and remembering what it was like when I was his age.  Oh, and I dug up an old shirt I had from GB2 back in the day... it "fit" in as much as I could barely fit it on.  My 11yo was thoroughly embarrassed when I took my sweatshirt off in the theater and was wearing a t-shirt close to 2 sizes too small.  

The movie was good, not amazing.  Better than the abortion reboot that came out a few years ago.  The little girl who played the lead was fantastic imo.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I kind of didn't like that part.  I loved 2 when it came out.  I was 6.  I mean it's not a bad movie; it's biggest fault, imo, is that it just was not the level of awesome that the first was.  My 4yo is really big into He-Man with the re-launch of the original toy line, my old toys and dvds, and the new netflix Revelation show as well as the way different animated series Netflix made (which I thought I'd hate, but actually really like - even being as different from the original as it is.  My little guy cracked up at the beginning of #2 when Ray and Winston show up at the kid's b-day party and all of the kids start chanting "he-man! he-man! he-man!"

I particularly liked the really subtle nods to the first movie.  There are some obvious "hit you over the head" type throwbacks, but then some are really subtle and play good fan-service to the 35-45 crowd that lived on this stuff as a kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

The original is, IMO, almost flawless.  It is one of my favorite movies of all time.  

I am rewatching now.  When this came our originally in 1984, I was 6.  I remember seeing this in the theater at least 3 times, and it might have been more than that.  

One of the fun things now is seeing all the places they filmed in NYC.  At one point, Ray comes up holding a smoking ghost trap out of what looks like a basement apartment.  It is actually a house between 5th Avenue and Madison on E 63rd two houses down from the Goyard store.  It is the Garden unit in a coop (16 E 63rd) that was most recently for sale for just under $1M.  I seriously gave it some thought given its proximity to Central Park.

https://streeteasy.com/building/16-east-63-street-new_york/garden

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I liked it, it paid homage, had some new bits that worked, played it safe, but overall really well done.

Hide contents

just one thing, if Egon was a ghost, why didn’t he get sucked into the traps too?

I don't know what kind of a ghost I'll be, but if we ever get into heavy combat, I want you to know, I'll be right behind you every step of the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GFX had a Ghostbusters marathon tonight.  I watched Ghostbusters II while I was doing laundry and making my shopping list for Thanksgiving meals.  While it’s obviously not as good as the original, I think it does kind of get a bad rap.  I throughly enjoyed watching it.  Fortunately the laundry is done because the female remake is on next.

On a side note, I would like to do some seriously nasty things with Janine Melnitz

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

This was quite good. Felt like an 80s movie.

I guess I only have a couple of minor issues.

1. As the final act started, the editing was really, really choppy for a couple of minutes. Like there was some last minute editing decisions to remove something.

2. Didn’t need a return of the OGs. They phoned in their performances and killed the pacing.

Other than that, it was a fun ride and all the kids were solid.

4 stars.  a lot of fun.  mckenna grace was excellent and carrie coon and paul rudd were good too.  the cameos were fun (i thought akroyd did the best job), but i sort of agree that they almost weren't really necessary.  the new cast was so good that they could have carried the movie on their own.  

if they wait another 10 or so years and do another with an older mckenna grace as the lead character and don't feature any cameos from the OG's, i'd be a-ok with that.

55 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

My wife and I went and saw it in a new theater that has those seats that move as things happen. Cars chasing, ghosts flying, sonic boom. I loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and it brought back a lot of fun memories. 

They still have those?  We used to go to the Galaxy theater by Highland Mall and they had these "4D" seats that moved.  Remember it was pretty cool for Tron Legacy 10 or so years ago, but never heard much about them outside of that one theater.

We just got back from seeing it. It was enjoyable. The kids all did a great job. Love Carrie Coon. If anything Paul Rudd seemed like the odd man out but he was still good. It hits you enough in the nostalgia bone but doesn't overdo it. Don't immediately rush out of the theater at the end. 

Spoiler

I can't wait for one of the cast to be on SNL because I'll be damned if I didn't think Gozer was Bowen Yang. They could definitely do a Gozer bit with him.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:23 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They still have those?  We used to go to the Galaxy theater by Highland Mall and they had these "4D" seats that moved.  Remember it was pretty cool for Tron Legacy 10 or so years ago, but never heard much about them outside of that one theater.

Sir, you are aware this film will be shown in ‘Feel-Around’??

It was alright. Carrie Coon didn't do anything for me, I felt like she was trying too hard to deliver a Bill Murray deadpan and it didn't work. Also wish they had casted Gaten Matarazzo instead of Finn Wolfhard as the brother. He would have been a better/goofier comedic choice. And I really wish they had given the OG crew something to actually do in the film. 

My GB obsessed 8 year old son absolutely loved it so it was a lot of fun watching him have a blast. He's probably going to drag me in there again for round 2.