2019 Texas Softball - Connie's overboard, Anchors Aweigh!

TrashMaster G

Klingler is a 3 year solution.  Snow is a one year stop gap.  If Mike thinks he has a future SS on his roster or incoming class (i.e., Camille Corona or Alyssa Popelka), he may opt for the one year player.  

I think we are in good hands with either for 2020. 

Since that article doesn’t say, I looked for her position. 

https://auburntigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=12106

That only covers her freshman year, auburn digital administration must not be too quick on the draw. 

So SS at least in year 1, but only hit .235 in conference that year to go along with the .945 fielding. 

Is she any better than what we have already?

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

She's a pitcher. 

2018 - 18-5, 1.96 ERA, 39 appearances, 23 games started, 9 CG, 2 saves, 153.2 IP, 90 K / 46 BB
2019 - 6-1, 1.64 ERA, 19 appearances, 4 games started, 2 CG, 3 saves, 47 IP, 31 K / 13 BB

She went from 2nd in the rotation to 3rd behind Odicci Alexander this year. That is a significant decrease in workload. I can see why she's transferring.  She'd be 3rd behind Elish/Shea and fighting against Mike's chosen pitching recruit Grace Green.  Not sure Texas is the best spot for her unless Green is not fully healed from her senior year injury. 

If, at a minimum, we can get Klinger, I'd shuffle up the defense to:

C - Iakopo/Ellsworth
1B - ??
2B - Jefferson
SS - Klingler
3B - Tedder (she played 59 games at 3B as a freshman) 
OF - Rhodes/Burke/Hathaway

Love this line up....It would be great if Iakopo/Ellsworth could play a little 1B to keep both bats in the order.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Love this line up....It would be great if Iakopo/Ellsworth could play a little 1B to keep both bats in the order.

Whoever doesn't catch is DP.  Allows you to kick out a hitter like Tedder when Elish pitches to put a bat in her hand.  

Because I keep forgetting Washington, I'd have my ideal lineup be:

C Iakopo/Ellsworth
1B Burke
2B Jefferson
SS Klingler or Snow
3B Snow or Klingler or Tedder
OF Rhodes/Washington/Hathaway
DP Ellsworth/Iakopo

Starting to realize we may end up with more bats than positions on the infield if we are going for 2 transfers.  Because Burke/Rhodes/Washington/Hathaway are all legit outfielders and need to be in the lineup somewhere.  Burke might need to stay at 1B. 

The portal has really changed this sport, in the way free agency has changed professional sports. Coaches can plug holes with a proven commodity now and teams can get much better sooner than ever before. However, it has its downside as well. Coaches must find a way to keep bench players involved and freshman happy or they risk losing those people every year.  I’m really not sure how I feel about the whole thing. My daughter would’ve almost certainly have entered the portal after her freshman year, had it been available, but she stayed, worked harder and became a team captain and 3 time all conference player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

The portal has really changed this sport, in the way free agency has changed professional sports. Coaches can plug holes with a proven commodity now and teams can get much better sooner than ever before. However, it has its downside as well. Coaches must find a way to keep bench players involved and freshman happy or they risk losing those people every year.  I’m really not sure how I feel about the whole thing. My daughter would’ve almost certainly have entered the portal after her freshman year, had it been available, but she stayed, worked harder and became a team captain and 3 time all conference player. 

Certainly agree  !      I share your concern.    Needs to be evaluated.

Also,  they must keep their key players happy.    OKSt  football had a key wide receiver leave because he felt he was not getting the ball.   Then,  the latest Bru McCoy saga entering the portal from USC and then returning via the portal.     

Makinzy Herzog (FSU) is transferring.

10-2, 1.56 ERA in 71.2 IP, 58 K to 25 BB; also hit .315 in 149 ABs, 12 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR, 26 RBI, 6 walks/16 strikeouts

Now, she's from Missouri City, so you think Mike reaches out on that basis alone. 

But yeah, Jo Evans and Craig Snider will be pushing hard to get her.  Her fucking FSU bio says "would like to play Texas A&M because a lot of her friends play there."

Huge huge huge irony if this is the pitcher that takes Jo to the WCWS and a new contract extension, screwing over Snider in the process. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Makinzy Herzog (FSU) is transferring.

10-2, 1.56 ERA in 71.2 IP, 58 K to 25 BB; also hit .315 in 149 ABs, 12 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR, 26 RBI, 6 walks/16 strikeouts

Now, she's from Missouri City, so you think Mike reaches out on that basis alone. 

But yeah, Jo Evans and Craig Snider will be pushing hard to get her.  Her fucking FSU bio says "would like to play Texas A&M because a lot of her friends play there."

Huge huge huge irony if this is the pitcher that takes Jo to the WCWS and a new contract extension, screwing over Snider in the process. 

Cynical comments warning:

Would think A&M is a predetermined destination since Snider was a former asst at FSU.     And possibility of informal recruiting.   Will be shocked if she goes elsewhere.

After review, as the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year she certainly must have been recruited by A&M to join her friends.   Would have been FSU's #1 pitcher next season.

No problem,  FSU just goes to the portal and selects.    #smh

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The #24 player from the 2018 class - C/1B Colleen Sullivan - is in the portal from UCLA.

.239, 4 doubles, 5 HR, 12 RBI, 28 walks/19 K, .986 fielding %

She is a really good defensive catcher, but is not very good at the plate. I will pass on her, as I don't think she is better than either of our catchers.

10 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

She is a really good defensive catcher, but is not very good at the plate. I will pass on her, as I don't think she is better than either of our catchers.

I meant for 1B. 

On 6/15/2019 at 6:40 AM, texashorn13 said:

Herzog is either going to aTm or OK State.

Alexis Mack is going to Alabama.

And as of right now it looks like Washington is the leader in the clubhouse for Klingler  (though I was told she's still fairly open)

Klingler tweeted she’s off to UW. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, FloridaHorn said:

Who are these other great catchers you speak of? Ideally we would have 3 who can play so that we avoid another 2019 situation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting  !
There is not a more dedicated employee in the UT System than Hal.    Great person and a perfectionist in his craft.   Donations encouraged.
Thoughts and prayers to Hal and his family.   

Want to thank everyone for their support. He has really appreciated all of the support and well wishes. Unfortunately I don’t have good news. Hal is spending what time he has left with his family and watching his beloved Astros. If you’re the praying type please pray for him and his family. St. Peter better get that landscaping polished at the gate or he may not hear the end of it. A great friend, man, father, longhorn, and Texan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Want to thank everyone for their support. He has really appreciated all of the support and well wishes. Unfortunately I don’t have good news. Hal is spending what time he has left with his family and watching his beloved Astros. If you’re the praying type please pray for him and his family. St. Peter better get that landscaping polished at the gate or he may not hear the end of it. A great friend, man, father, longhorn, and Texan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting !

Thoughts and prayers for a great man and his family.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, texasstrong12 said:

#26 recruit per Softball America. These big football games are the gift that keep on giving for other programs. 

To add rankings, 2021ers Simpson (#27) and Cimuzc (#13) are also top 30 players. Huge talent increase. 

21 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Is Cazares a take if she wants in?

Yes. With Hathaway, DeMargosian and Washington all seniors next year, you definitely take a top 75 OF.  We did not take any in the 2019 class. 

For the 2020 class, we have Bailey Williams and Kyleigh Sand, both who can play INF and OF. 

• Like 1

http://dailytexanonline.com/2019/09/18/indoor-softball-baseball-training-facilities-will-be-added-to-mccombs-field

Baseball and softball players will soon be able to avoid the Texas heat because new extensions to the Red and Charline McCombs Field will add an indoor training facility for both teams.

The facility will include a pitching lab, batting cages and a new weight room, said Kevin Rodriguez, assistant sports information director. 

Christopher Marks, team lead for Project Management and Construction Services, said the upgraded facility will also include a team locker room, lounge, meeting room, coaches’ offices and a lobby area. He said construction will first begin in the softball training facilities in McCombs Stadium but plans are developing to add extensions the baseball training facilities in
the future.

The project is still in the preconstruction phase, but Project Management and Construction Services will be starting
construction in the next 30 days, Marks said. He said construction services must first relocate the existing facilities, such as the parking lot, to make room for the extension. He said some aspects of the project are still under review, such as the pitching lab, and will be starting at a later date.

Per the article, we are only one of a few Big 12 schools with no indoor training facilities. 

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Hal passed away this morning. #fuckcancer

RIP, Hal.  Thoughts and prayers for his family.

A perfectionist at his craft,  a humble man.    Enjoyed a few conversations I had with him pregame.   

A friend of mine coaches youth softball in Austin.   Hal would volunteer his services for their field when needed.    Hal will never be forgotten by those who knew him.  He was an example of people who work behind the scenes to make the Longhorn Nation go.

• Like 1