Coming to America sequel

Hmbre97

On 2/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, Lobo said:

I rarely preface shit like that.  I just feel the need to with Leslie Jones because she is just so over-the-top not funny and the backlash that people get for not worshipping at her feet was beyond surreal.  It would never cross my mind to say anything before I declare that Kevin Hart is way overrated, Ellen Degeneres hasn't been funny in a decade, and Chris Tucker's comedy career is an insult to flashes in the pan.  But I have to say something when it comes to Leslie because of this little corner of pity she created for herself.  Admittedly, it's died down a lot since she left SNL and hasn't done any movies of note lately.  But I guess we'll go through it again with CTA2.  

I'm genuinely surprised that Eddie Murphy, who in addition to being one of the funniest people ever also had an incredibly good eye for untapped comedic talent in others, would bring Leslie Jones onto this project.  So many more deserving comic actresses.  There's a 5% chance Eddie is baiting us and he's gonna use her in a role that we would never have seen coming, but there's 95% certainty she plays the same fucking one-bit shit we all know is coming.  

Okay, so when does this movie drop illegally?  

Mo'Nique would have killed it.

• Like 1

It wasn’t the worst. There were some LOL moments. It wasn’t great either. The clown factor was turned up in some parts. But I think Tracey Morgan is a national treasure. I’ve also started to appreciate the Leslie Jones in some things, this being one of them. 

This was like a tribute band playing the original version. Some good. Some bad. A lot of cashing in for money. 

It was about what I expected and in a good way.

It seemed rushed compared to the story build up of the prequel.

Nostalgia was everywhere and that was cool.

Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes should do more movies together.

Edited by Davis Lane

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

But I think Tracey Morgan is a national treasure.

He was the best part of the movie.  The Eddie and Arsenio magic was dead. 
Colin Jost explaining that he wore black face underneath the blue genie paint was gold.  

Edited by Guadaloopy

Agree on the Leslie Jones takes.  She wasn’t hateable like she normally is.  Just playing a stock character, big personality black auntie sort of thing. 

I think Eddie Murphy is going through the same sort of thing Jim Carrey was by the end of his run. He’s too old and too respectable now to really sell the sort of silliness that got him his fame.  

I miss when Eddie Murphy used to be funny.  This movie was borderline unwatchable.

This movie made me long for The Nutty Professor, which was pretty awful all on its own.

Edited by Tom

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Somehow I completely forgot that existed, but you're absolutely right. That was a great flick.  Forgive me, Eddie.

Beverly Hills cop 1 

dolemite 

thats about it 

oh and boomerang but mostly for Halle Berry. Omg that pixie cut! 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, troph said:

Beverly Hills cop 1 

dolemite 

thats about it 

Man if you think Boomerang was good "mostly for Halle" then maybe comedy aint for you.   That movie was classic.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, d2o said:

Man if you think Boomerang was good "mostly for Halle" then maybe comedy aint for you.   That movie was classic.

My comment was more about how absolutely gorgeous she was in that movie but thanks for ruining the mood. Of course it was a funny movie that’s why I mentioned it. But her hotness (to me) was a significant multiple higher than the comedy even though the comedy was too notch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
20 hours ago, troph said:
Beverly Hills cop 1 
dolemite 
thats about it 

Um, Trading Places.

48 Hours?

Eddie couldn't miss there for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Is this oft-quoted post about the order of his funny movie, or a chronological detailing of his only funny movies?  

If you go in order by release...he has a solid list (aside from "Raw" which is the funniest single standup comedy special in the history of our local group of galaxies).  

48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, The Golden Child (it was weird as shit, but fuck off you don't think it was funny), Beverly Hills Cop II (decent sequel), Coming to America (obviously), Harlem Nights, Boomerang, (kinda, maybe, sorta half-assed endorsement of...) The Distinguished Gentleman (ducks), some good dramatic roles and voiceovers mixed in there but a whole bunch of fucking duds, then Dolemite, and I dunno-mostly 20 years of dogshit.  

He wanted to chart his own course.  It couldn't have been easy being so young and black to break up the Hollywood comedy lockbox.  Behind the scenes, people don't appreciate how much he helped young talent, particularly African American & Female talent, get ahead on the big and little screens.  

He'll always be aces in my book no matter what.  But if we're all honest, he could have been so much better than his 'til-now body of work, and we all hope we reboots it all in glorious fashion.  He doesn't owe us anything, it'd just be nice to have genuinely funny people doing really funny projects instead of having the mediocre shit we get dealt heaped upon us because it's marketable. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

My comment was more about how absolutely gorgeous she was in that movie but thanks for ruining the mood. Of course it was a funny movie that’s why I mentioned it. But her hotness (to me) was a significant multiple higher than the comedy even though the comedy was too notch. 

Too noach*

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

I was pleased - I think they pulled it off.  Put together a believable enough story to be able to bring in the old gang.  Good chuckles and the music bits were great.  And Morgan Freeman, dammit!

The fact that Murphy's daughters, part of the royal family, had to defend themselves with sticks and table legs instead of having armed guards inside the palace must be part of this believable enough story. 

Right up there with there being no paved roads leading to and from the palace of this prosperous African country.  Film school students could have done a better job of minding the details and it is interesting at the very end of the credits there is a thank you to Art Buchwald's family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, PGFrog said:

The fact that Murphy's daughters, part of the royal family, had to defend themselves with sticks and table legs instead of having armed guards inside the palace must be part of this believable enough story. 

Right up there with there being no paved roads leading to and from the palace of this prosperous African country.  Film school students could have done a better job of minding the details and it is interesting at the very end of the credits there is a thank you to Art Buchwald's family. 

Shit they didnt have paved roads in Wakanda in Black Panther and that shit annoyed the hell out of me.