Coming to America sequel

Hmbre97

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

You don’t think Coming to America was funny, yet you watched the sequel?

the first one was ok.  but by my current standards for comedy not really.  and technically I did not watch the sequel.  I may have made it farther in last nights Oprah interview than in this abomination of a movie.  and to be fair to EM, by current standards I thought he should have one a fucking oscar for Dolemite.  that movie was wickedly great.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

the first one was ok.  but by my current standards for comedy not really.  and technically I did not watch the sequel.  I may have made it farther in last nights Oprah interview than in this abomination of a movie.  and to be fair to EM, by current standards I thought he should have one a fucking oscar for Dolemite.  that movie was wickedly great.

You thought the first "Coming to America" was "OK"???  I'm not advocating it was the funniest movie ever, or on my Top 10 list...but it's an American Comedic Gem by any standards.  It should be on any Top 25 list for funniest movies in the lifetime of people our age.  It dragged a bit in some places, and who knows---maybe Art Buchwald's vision was compromised...but it was beyond hilarious when I was 12/13 and it holds up very well today.  Bummer about this new one though.  

Sorry to pick on your post, but I've never heard anybody say "Coming to America?...yeah, it was okay."  I just assumed it was one of those rare comedies that everybody agreed was hilarious, just a question of where in your rankings it landed.

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Shit they didnt have paved roads in Wakanda in Black Panther and that shit annoyed the hell out of me.  

Very good point.  The scene with T'Challa and Nakia walking through a city with advanced technology, levitating train, and dirt streets. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You thought the first "Coming to America" was "OK"???  I'm not advocating it was the funniest movie ever, or on my Top 10 list...but it's an American Comedic Gem by any standards.  It should be on any Top 25 list for funniest movies in the lifetime of people our age.  It dragged a bit in some places, and who knows---maybe Art Buchwald's vision was compromised...but it was beyond hilarious when I was 12/13 and it holds up very well today.  Bummer about this new one though.  

Sorry to pick on your post, but I've never heard anybody say "Coming to America?...yeah, it was okay."  I just assumed it was one of those rare comedies that everybody agreed was hilarious, just a question of where in your rankings it landed.

I thought it was funny then and I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it now, seriously dude. Yeah it was funny when I was 12. I’m 46  now, no it’s not that funny now. Beverly Hills cop 1 and 2 still hold up now though.  Where it lands now? I dunno but at best it’s EM’s 4th or 5th best from that time period. Top 25? Maybe but closer to the bottom than the top of that list.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, troph said:

Beverly Hills cop 1 

dolemite 

thats about it 

oh and boomerang but mostly for Halle Berry. Omg that pixie cut! 

Umm, I think you’re bad at rating comedy.

Trading Places, 48 Hours, BH Cop 1, BH Cop 2, Raw, Coming to America, and Boomerang are all gold. And hell he’s fucking hilarious in The Golden Child too.

In terms of drama, he was incredible in Dreamgirls and his voice work in the Shrek movies is great as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

after about 50, bill murray, larry david, danny devito sort of style is what works.

Three goddamn national treasures right there. I’d throw in Steve Martin as well. Although he doesn’t do much any more, the guy can still bring the lulz when he wants.

Just finished it and after all the “bad” reviews on this site I actually thought it was better than I expected it to be.  It wasn’t that I laughed out loud but I found myself enjoying the movie and the nostalgia.  After the last year of living through a pandemic it was enjoyable to hear Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate again (they should have had him do another mic drop).  I don’t think it was a total shit show of a sequel like the Blues Brothers 2000 movie.  As far as the first one goes, it still holds up and is one of the best comedies of the 80’s.  The original one also had arguably the greatest cameo in it when they brought back the Duke brothers from Trading Places.  That was a pure genius cameo.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

only a certain type of funny is possible for olds.  slow cynicism and off beat sort of stuff.  eddie murphy's funny involves life and confidence and energy. 

after about 50, bill murray, larry david, danny devito sort of style is what works.

I’m laughing my ass off at Ted Lasso, but then I’m only 46 and I suck at rating comedy. But those three you mention are fantastic at their craft.  

Edited by troph

Coming to America is a goddamn masterpiece and anybody who says otherwise is a goddamn fool. A goddamn fool!

Eddie Murphy's genius in Coming to America was to help create a completely INSANE narrative and then play the straight man the whole time. So you've got the greatest comic actor on earth at the very height of his powers and, unless he's doing the barbershop routine in makeup, just playing it cool while everything around him is bonkers. It's a bold decision, executed perfectly, for an incredible result. Beverly Hills Cop II is better than Coming to America? GTFO

Even if the movie was 90 minutes of white noise except for the barbershop scenes, it would be one of the top ten comedies of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Coming to America is a goddamn masterpiece and anybody who says otherwise is a goddamn fool. A goddamn fool!

Eddie Murphy's genius in Coming to America was to help create a completely INSANE narrative and then play the straight man the whole time. So you've got the greatest comic actor on earth at the very height of his powers and, unless he's doing the barbershop routine in makeup, just playing it cool while everything around him is bonkers. It's a bold decision, executed perfectly, for an incredible result. Beverly Hills Cop II is better than Coming to America? GTFO

Even if the movie was 90 minutes of white noise except for the barbershop scenes, it would be one of the top ten comedies of all time. 

^^^ My thoughts.   I know I have a bit of nostalgia about it as it came out when I was a sr in HS and we watched it over and over and cracked up every time back then but its a hilarious movie and holds up extremely well IMO.   Any time I am flipping channels and its on, I'm stopping and watching while repeating all the lines hahahahaha.

19 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Umm, I think you’re bad at rating comedy.

Trading Places, 48 Hours, BH Cop 1, BH Cop 2, Raw, Coming to America, and Boomerang are all gold. And hell he’s fucking hilarious in The Golden Child too.

In terms of drama, he was incredible in Dreamgirls and his voice work in the Shrek movies is great as well.

Bowfinger was better than it gets credit for.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Coming to America (original) is one of the funniest comedies ever made (for Gen X at least) and it’s not even close. It was funny when I was 10, and it is still funny. There’s not a week goes by that I don’t quote that movie. I mean shit, movie board gonna movie board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Coming to America (original) is one of the funniest comedies ever made (for Gen X at least) and it’s not even close. It was funny when I was 10, and it is still funny. There’s not a week goes by that I don’t quote that movie. I mean shit, movie board gonna movie board.

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Also, it’s a rom-com. Maybe it’s top 10 in rom-coms. It’s a great movie. I love it. I own it on DVD. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it but I did again over the holidays. (Same with Trading Places. Trading Places is better as comedies go. So is Beverly Hills Cop.)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Sequel checked all the boxes save for appearances from Darrell and the queen's little sister and the landlord.  Laughed out loud.  WTF'ed a couple of times.  Overall, enjoyed it.

Not having Cuba Gooding Jr. in the barber chair was a miss.

Agree. For me, Trading Places is 1a and Coming to America is 1b as far as Eddie Murphy movies are concerned. Both are so good in very different ways.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ovptbkobb8apur44hurqlkq0tqndewv5h80teupb&rid=giphy.gif

Trading Places is in an entirely different stratosphere than CTA. They should never be uttered in the same breath.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They need to do a bowfinger sequel with Kit desperately trying to get back in the game using his brother Jeff Jefferson who is now an international star in Daisy is leading the me too movement bowfinger wants to make a strong woman movie  to get kit back in the game. for his misdeeds Mind Fuck Church attempts to use the movies to cover its members  philandering ways ..getting the old crew on the same team

Can totally have fun with Hollywood hypocrisy keep the thing that made Bowfinger great

can end when Bowfinger manages to film his film instead of Around mind fucks bloated Bullshit with separate filming, hidden cams catching studio heads in the act of wierd sex / political hypocricy ... at the premiere slips his movie in  and the Directors cut is a hit