Coming to America sequel

Hmbre97

2 hours ago, futureman said:

super troopers 2 was gold.  anchorman 2 was gold. 

I've seen both once and wouldn't bother to watch either again.  But at least Anchorman 2 had some funny scenes that I can recall. I didn't hate it.  On the other hand Super Troopers 2 was Hangover III level bad.

"super troopers 2 was gold.  anchorman 2 was gold"  

Your post #101.  Not nitpicking or anything, we have a similar sense of humor.  Those movies were funny, but there not "gold" by any stretch.  

I've seen both once and wouldn't bother to watch either again.  But at least Anchorman 2 had some funny scenes that I can recall. I didn't hate it.  On the other hand Super Troopers 2 was Hangover III level bad.

I kind of like Hangover 3.

“I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.”

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan?  When did Hollywood turn into Make A Wish foundation? 

You serious, Clark?  Tracy Morgan has a dilemma, he's not a top-tier comedic actor and he's not a top-tier standup comedian.  But he scores a 99% in the category of all the people that have ever attempted both.  He is literally one of the ten funniest people alive on this planet right now.  It's just in his bones. 

But yeah, nothing against women.  Nothing against blacks.  Leslie Jones just isn't funny.  She has a couple of notes she can beat the ever living death out of for a chuckle here and there, but it's just a decades-old schtick that just ain't funny.  At all.  for anyone.  

Having said that, I'm really glad to see Art Buchwald writing new material again.  

Edited by Lobo

Carrot Top is coming out with a new album next week, you'll be fine.  ;) 

Most comics haven't released any new material because it's hard to convey the art form over zoom/at-home recording with no audience laughter.  Luckily for your comedic heroes, they're used to performing with no laughs.  

On 12/22/2020 at 9:30 PM, futureman said:

super troopers 2 was gold.  anchorman 2 was gold. 

On 12/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, Tom said:

I would almost guarantee neither would be funny.

I'll reserve judgment until after I see it, but comedies have the worst track record of sequels.  A truly great comedy, like both CTA and Stepbrothers happen to be, are typically lightning in a bottle.  Most fall flat the second time around.  See 97% of every comedy sequel ever made for examples.

Black Sheep, 22 Jump Street, and Christmas Vacation were good.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Carrot Top is coming out with a new album next week, you'll be fine.  ;) 

Most comics haven't released any new material because it's hard to convey the art form over zoom/at-home recording with no audience laughter.  Luckily for your comedic heroes, they're used to performing with no laughs.  

You poor baby, did I hurt your feelings?  

1 hour ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Black Sheep, 22 Jump Street, and Christmas Vacation were good.

22 Jump Street and Christmas Vacation were GREAT sequels.  

Black Sheep was neither good nor a sequel.  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

But yeah, nothing against women.  Nothing against blacks.  Leslie Jones just isn't funny.  She has a couple of notes she can beat the ever living death out of for a chuckle here and there, but it's just a decades-old schtick that just ain't funny.  At all.  for anyone.  

I’m pretty sure most Black people can’t stand her either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, Lobo said:

Gold?  You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.  You did make reference to two sequels that were pretty solid.  A far departure from the brilliant films that spawned them, but funny on their own.  But they weren't "gold."  I feel like this site goes through this machination every couple years. 

Anyway, I'm sure we'll be disappointed, but I am damn excited about CTA2 and it looks great from the trailer.  It has a unique position in that, even by long-term movie sequels---it's been 32 years, that's insanely long even by reboot standards.  And there's not just the two main guys to reconsider, it's a dozen other side characters that have "aged" with time.  It's a curious basis.  I look forward to it.  Who gives a shit?  Normally, we'd over-analyze this shit, let's laugh.  

My first thought was it is going to be full of recycled bits and jokes from the first movie but ya know, it's been 30+ years. People don't go see the Rolling Stones in concert to hear the deep cuts or the unreleased shit. They wanna hear the classics. I'm in.

I think with a good script and with todays political climate/class warfare'ish world we live in, a Trading Places sequel would do well too.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, Lobo said:

Having said that, I'm really glad to see Art Buchwald writing new material again.  

It's ok, you don't have to get all PC, everybody knows black people just aren't that funny.  Other than Richard Pryor.  And Eddie Murphy.  Oh and maybe Chris Rock.  Perhaps Dave Chapelle, too.  And every single black person's twitter account.   But those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

29 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

It's ok, you don't have to get all PC, everybody knows black people just aren't that funny.  Other than Richard Pryor.  And Eddie Murphy.  Oh and maybe Chris Rock.  Perhaps Dave Chapelle, too.  And every single black person's twitter account.   But those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

lol

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Image result for not sure if serious

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

You must not know much about Leslie Jones and the backlash that any of her critics receive anytime they question her comedic prowess (or lack thereof).  I added those two caveats about her gender and race because literally any time somebody ponders why she continues to be lauded as the most one-note comedic actress maybe in history.....they get called either sexist or racist (or both).  How you get from me criticizing Leslie Jones to the blanket statements you made only proves that point.  

She sucks, and black folks are funnier in general than most others.  Like this, "I don't want to offend Jews...but Seth Rogen isn't that funny."  It doesn't mean I think Jews aren't funny, quite the opposite actually,  It's just that Seth ain't that funny, another one-note wonder.  

I look forward to the movie and the myriad other conclusions you'll jump to between now and then.  

I'm seeing it obviously. But they could have been more in your face about pushing another agenda in the middle of that trailer.

Guarantee that the Daughter will be Queen at the end...they'll realize how mysoginistic their laws are(they are), and announce her claim as rightful or some shit.

But yes, It still looks hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You must not know much about Leslie Jones and the backlash that any of her critics receive anytime they question her comedic prowess (or lack thereof).  I added those two caveats about her gender and race because literally any time somebody ponders why she continues to be lauded as the most one-note comedic actress maybe in history.....they get called either sexist or racist (or both).  How you get from me criticizing Leslie Jones to the blanket statements you made only proves that point.  

She sucks, and black folks are funnier in general than most others.  Like this, "I don't want to offend Jews...but Seth Rogen isn't that funny."  It doesn't mean I think Jews aren't funny, quite the opposite actually,  It's just that Seth ain't that funny, another one-note wonder.  

I look forward to the movie and the myriad other conclusions you'll jump to between now and then.  

Dude, I think leslie jones sucks shit through a straw.  I was laughing that you felt the need to say I'm not anti-black when talking about someone not being funny.  It's like saying I'm not anti-semitic but that goldstein is just not good with money.  

Anyway, just struck me as funny.  No offense intended.

I rarely preface shit like that.  I just feel the need to with Leslie Jones because she is just so over-the-top not funny and the backlash that people get for not worshipping at her feet was beyond surreal.  It would never cross my mind to say anything before I declare that Kevin Hart is way overrated, Ellen Degeneres hasn't been funny in a decade, and Chris Tucker's comedy career is an insult to flashes in the pan.  But I have to say something when it comes to Leslie because of this little corner of pity she created for herself.  Admittedly, it's died down a lot since she left SNL and hasn't done any movies of note lately.  But I guess we'll go through it again with CTA2.  

I'm genuinely surprised that Eddie Murphy, who in addition to being one of the funniest people ever also had an incredibly good eye for untapped comedic talent in others, would bring Leslie Jones onto this project.  So many more deserving comic actresses.  There's a 5% chance Eddie is baiting us and he's gonna use her in a role that we would never have seen coming, but there's 95% certainty she plays the same fucking one-bit shit we all know is coming.  

Okay, so when does this movie drop illegally?  

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I doubt Leslie Jones is following you close enough to know that you think she's not funny.

No, but she's got an army of people who look out for people who don't think she's funny.  

Years ago, on comedy satellite radio for a book festival, I interviewed Yael Kohen about her (then new) book "We Killed."  It was about female comedians over the years (both on-stage and on-screen).  She got to interview every funny woman of note for the last half-century.  Her publisher connected me with some of the subjects of the book to talk about their experience in finally getting to broadcast their "behind-the-scenes" look at coming up in comedy as a woman back then (though many of them are still currently big hits in the industry).  And a couple things resonated with me...more than one comedian said that maybe nobody had done more behind the scenes in the 80's and 90's to help advance funny women in the industry than Eddie Murphy.  Which was really cool to hear.  Not just in his movies, but also as a friend and advocate.  And more than one of them told me that a guy that after all these decades just doesn't fucking get who is a funny female cast member and who is not a funny female cast member is Lorne Michaels.  The guy gets everything else about the business but on so many occasions (not all), he elevates cast members that don't deserve it and he quashes others that do.  /csbrant

Okay, moving on from Leslie.  I was Joan of Arc in a previous life. 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Rogen was funny in Freaks & Geeks and The 40 Year Old Virgin. Otherwise, he sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...