Space Force - Netflix - Starring Steve Carrell, Created by Greg Daniels

BigOrange1

• 1 year later...
Guest Lobo

My god, the treasure trove of comedic material being heaped upon them by real life is just insane.  I don't want to discount Daniels' comedic chops, but they don't even have to work at 50% capacity to come up with plotlines.  If it was a "slice of life" or "adventure of the week" premise, they'd have to work at full speed, but if it's about the origins and creation of Space Force, then half their funny work is done for them /noCR.  Actually, I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to bitch about us joking about the creation of Space Force as being too political. 

Fuck the CR.  I'm a supporter of the new branch, as a rule, but c'mon man ... this is comedy.  Lighten up.  Does that mean we can't laugh at "McHale's Navy" now?

...and if you can't laugh at the BDU pattern here, well... that's on you.  :)

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
23 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Fuck the CR.  I'm a supporter of the new branch, as a rule, but c'mon man ... this is comedy.  Lighten up.  Does that mean we can't laugh at "McHale's Navy" now?

...and if you can't laugh at the BDU pattern here, well... that's on you.  :)

spacer.png

That's my point, I've followed your talks on space travel religiously for years.  I love your stories and insight.  I've taken my daughter to meet Jose Hernandez, Serena Aunon, and Stephanie Wilson all at your suggestion.  Because she wants to be the first woman to Mars.  I love the idea of a "Space Force."  The point of my post was that the comedy side (I assume they'll have some technical advisers like yourself giving them actual plotlines and historical data to use to drive the story) is now going to be able to write itself because according to the showrunners, they are going with the decision to pursue more of the early days/founding/creation/structural organization of Space Force.  And so much real life shit is gonna give them so much comedic fodder.  It's not going to come at the expense of the real life folks who are actually making this awesomeness happen, but rather the "Leadership" involved.  

You know as well as I do, there's a reason we've visited every NASA story line from Yeager to the last STS mission in exhausting detail  (and I'll watch it all over again twelve times with my children), but there's a reason none of it was ever done as parody, as satire, just a few gentle chuckles that were needed for these folks to keep their sanity (yourself included).  You know this is gonna reflect honorably on the people truly involved but you know who/what it's gonna laugh at, and that's okay IMO.  

Lobo - FTR, I was agreeing with you and laughing at others who will get their (already too tight) panties in a wad about this.  :)

Just a giant "Lighten up, Francis" moment.  I'm so tired of people *on both sides* who can't laugh at good comedy any more, even when it pokes fun at them.  There is, obviously, a distinction between actual *comedy* and just "calling people stupid while pretending and failing to be funny", but I don't see that from the trailer.  I'm *SURE* there will be more than a few "orangemanbad" jokes in there ... whatever. 

I'm there for Steve Carrell and the moon-pattern BDUs.

Actually - if moon-pattern BDUs are available by Halloween, then ...

spacer.png

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

and if you can't laugh at the BDU pattern here, well... that's on you.  :)

Reminds me of one of the Navy’s color schemes, and I’m sure that was what they were poking fun at.   Because, you know, if sailors fall into the water in blue BDUs, it may not end well.

spacer.png

Guest Lobo
5 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Lobo - FTR, I was agreeing with you and laughing at others who will get their (already too tight) panties in a wad about this.  :)

Just a giant "Lighten up, Francis" moment.  I'm so tired of people *on both sides* who can't laugh at good comedy any more, even when it pokes fun at them.  There is, obviously, a distinction between actual *comedy* and just "calling people stupid while pretending and failing to be funny", but I don't see that from the trailer.  I'm *SURE* there will be more than a few "orangemanbad" jokes in there ... whatever. 

I'm there for Steve Carrell and the moon-pattern BDUs.

Actually - if moon-pattern BDUs are available by Halloween, then ...

spacer.png

Well said, sadly....this thing looks like an even more expensive "Avenue 5"    I'm just salty because i've never found Carrell as funny as most people do, though he does have a range that many people don't appreciate.  I dunno, I'm just resigned to the fact that we're not gonna have funny content for 18-24 mos. in this country.  

• 4 weeks later...