PSA: IT'S NOT A BREAKFAST TACO UNLESS IT HAS EGGS IN IT.

Beau Vine

I agree with the OP. 

On a side note, I cooked up a mess of breakfast tacos (egg, pan sausage, bacon, brisket, chorizo, pico, queso, potato, bean, etc.) at deer camp last week and the lone "Yankee boy" guest commented that the "roll ups" were really tasty. 

He ain't coming back.

Ever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I agree with the OP. 

On a side note, I cooked up a mess of breakfast tacos (egg, pan sausage, bacon, brisket, chorizo, pico, queso, potato, bean, etc.) at deer camp last week and the lone "Yankee boy" guest commented that the "roll ups" were really tasty. 

BestUnevenDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

I'll repeat what my cranky old man (the mexican) said when the "Austin invented the breakfast taco" bullshit came out.  "There's no such thing as a goddamned breakfast taco, and nobody invented the damn thing in the first place.  They're all just tacos, and a taco to go was invented the first time a mexican was running late for work and said 'shit, just put it on a tortilla woman, I gotta go,' then hauled ass out the door with his breakfast."  I trust the mexican on this matter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

How about, just like every other one of these fucking "rules for food" threads...if you like it, eat it.

If you don't want eggs on your breakfast tacos, don't.

If you want ranch instead of mustard, get it.

Jesus...someone ever tells me pizza is only good hot and for lunch and dinner and I'm punching them in the fucking nuts.

But, yeah...team eggs on my breakfast tacos.

• Like 3

I think something has to make it breakfasty. Whether that be eggs or bacon or chorizo or barbacoa so be it. 

But if someone says "I'm getting breakfast tacos do you want anything?" I assume they are getting a taco with scrambled eggs in it. I think the breakfast qualifier is an important distinction. 

Beau Vine's point on the brisket is valid: there is nothing breakfast about brisket on a tortilla. That's called a fucking brisket taco. 

But potato, cheese and black beans on a tortilla, or bacon, potato and cheese both seem to fit the "breakfast taco" nomenclature.

I also get where Brisket Texan is coming from, but if I'm going to lunch with someone to try "this new taco joint" and everything on the menu is of the breakfast variety, I'm probably going to ask "why didn't you clarify that it is a breakfast taco place?"

There needs to be some sort of distinction. 

35 minutes ago, deadshank said:

commented that the "roll ups" were really tasty.

Next time I am at one of those blue-eyed Mexican restaurants full of bootleg Frida Kahlo artwork, sweatergod, I'm orderin' "roll-ups". Hell, I'll get somebody to teach me how to say it in Nahuatl, see what they do.

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Where do y'all come down on the "breakfast taco" vs "breakfast burrito" debate?

A breakfast burrito is an extraneous foodstuff that never needed to exist. Likewise, anyone calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos should probably be arrested and submitted for questioning, and anyone that feels the need to eat 5 eggs and half a pound of sausage wrapped in an 18 inch tortilla before noon is equally as suspect. 

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

when the "Austin invented the breakfast taco" bullshit came out.

That's a joke right?  There aren't people that really think that?  

One of my daughters soccer team mates come over a night in the middle of a tournament this past fall.  The next morning I asked her if she wanted a breakfast taco and she had no clue what it was.  Her family had just been stationed at SAMC from Illinois.   

Edited by midtown

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A breakfast burrito is an extraneous foodstuff that never needed to exist. Likewise, anyone calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos should probably be arrested and submitted for questioning, and anyone that feels the need to eat 5 eggs and half a pound of sausage wrapped in an 18 inch tortilla before noon is equally as suspect.