Shane Buechele

Machinator

SMU seems like a logical fit, then again maybe get out of the comfort zone and take a shot with a Big 10 team that needs a QB complete change of environment. 

Regardless as was mentioned before he was a true team player which is seemingly rarer and rarer these days, and a benefit to Sam as a defacto OC on the sidelines. 

Hook 'em, Shane. Always rooted for you to become more than what you did, but I don't completely blame you for not. You were a mid-4 star guy who should not have had to start as a true freshman, but you did and beat Notre Dame. Hang your hat on that.

Should've had the benefit of a redshirt that a healthy program would've given him, should've had a decent QB to learn from that a healthy program would've given him (just think about the type of help he provides Sam, and ask who tf would have given him that his first two years?), should've had a better coach than Shawn fucking Watson to mold him.

I think we'll be fine with Thompson as a backup and a true freshman as an emergency backup (where they should be). Rising is going to start somewhere, but so be it, this is the new era of transfer portals.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Props for inside sauces @closetojumping @Machinator

Find it hard to believe he doesn't come to SMU with Ben Hick's bitch-made ass transferring to Arkansas. Have fun with that one, Razorbacks. 

I will begin accepting bandwagon applications. 

Yeah, sure, why not. Just so long as I don't have to stand next to CJK5H, because hanging out with that dude is a deal-breaker.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’d rather have Thompson backing up Sam than Shane. 

This  means to me that the coaches had a talk with Shane and told him the best he'd get next year would be splitting trash-time snaps with a backup that they feel will be better suited to this offense. It's what they needed to do.

Shane just isn't elite enough to take us where we need to go. You have to have a budding star ready to take over should something happen to Sam. That backup needs snaps, and if he gets them, who knows, Sam goes down and he comes in and takes over the game. Kinda like Mike White, but at  the college level.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

14 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This  means to me that the coaches had a talk with Shane and told him the best he'd get next year would be splitting trash-time snaps with a backup that they feel will be better suited to this offense. It's what they needed to do.

Shane just isn't elite enough to take us where we need to go. You have to have a budding star ready to take over should something happen to Sam. That backup needs snaps, and if he gets them, who knows, Sam goes down and he comes in and takes over the game. Kinda like Mike White, but at  the college level.

I don’t think that’s what happened at all. I think Buechele thinks, rightly, he can compete for a starting job somewhere else and play football for 2 years instead of backing up Ehlinger. No need to over complicate it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t think that’s what happened at all. I think Buechele thinks, rightly, he can compete for a starting job somewhere else and play football for 2 years instead of backing up Ehlinger. No need to over complicate it.

Yep, he just wants to go somewhere else to start instead of being a backup.  

Edited by Horn80

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Shane is good enough to start somewhere.  Think he’d be a good fit in most spread offenses.  Hate to lose him.  Having an experienced backup would be nice.  

How else are Casey (and for the love of God he'd better stay) and eventually Roschon going to grow?

5 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

You talking about Mark White, the former Texas governor? WTF?

Are you drunk?

I'm talking Mike White, the QB set to take over the Dallas Cowboys next year. He hasn't played a down and he's already #3 on the team.

(I'm presuming Zeke is #1 and Heath #2)  Anyhow, says so right here. - #3

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/mike-white/

BTW, I think Mark White is down around #27 or so.

Shane just isn't elite enough to take us where we need to go. You have to have a budding star ready to take over should something happen to Sam. That backup needs snaps, and if he gets them, who knows, Sam goes down and he comes in and takes over the game. Kinda like Mike White, but at  the college level.[/]

Dude, leave that tired@futureman shit on the Cowboys thread(s).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I hope he transfers to Arkansas so he can go ape shit on aggy

Does any other aggy opponent need a QB? I hate to see him go to Arky. Maybe he can go to Texas State and find a way to beat them. How awesome would a 2nd string Texas QB playing at Texas State with a ex aggy couch winning be. Not likely but awesome.

I appreciate his contributions to the team.  Unless he's put into some sort of quick trigger offense, not sure I'm seeing a long term future given his tendency to drop his eyes, self sack, and feel pressure that isn't there.  But I understand his desire to find out.  It wasn't going to happen here.

Good luck, dude.

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Dude, leave that tired@futureman shit on the Cowboys thread(s).

Give me a break. I appreciate what Shane's done for the program too, but he came face to face with reality. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the coaches have told at least one of the remaining backups that they'd be getting playing time next year. Certainly, that would be the right direction for the program to take. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of them pulled Shane aside and said hey, if you want to be a starter, you need to explore your options.

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Give me a break. I appreciate what Shane's done for the program too, but he came face to face with reality. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the coaches have told at least one of the remaining backups that they'd be getting playing time next year. Certainly, that would be the right direction for the program to take. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of them pulled Shane aside and said hey, if you want to be a starter, you need to explore your options.

You think the coaches pulled him aside to tell him he wasn’t going to be starting? I would think the fact that he wasn’t the starter this year would have already clued him in.

You’re way overthinking this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

You think the coaches pulled him aside to tell him he wasn’t going to be starting? I would think the fact that he wasn’t the starter this year would have already clued him in.

You’re way overthinking this.

Agreed. I don't think they pulled him aside recently for a conversation about how he won't be starting and might not be the clear number 2 in 2019. Rather I think they had a conversation before the 2018 season in which they let him know Sam was definitely the guy. Herman probably told Shane how much Herm valued him and wanted him as part of this season but that they would help him RS if at all possible. Shane has known since the summer that any future as QB1 was elsewhere. He chose to stay for 2018 rather than to leave for 2019, if that makes sense.

Yeah I would be shocked if the coaches pulled him aside and said anything.  Maybe if we were retaining both Rising/Thompson they might have nudged him towards transferring, but with just Thompson as backup and ROJO likely being useless as a freshman there is no doubt in my mind they would rather have Shane than not.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:41 PM, markstanco said:
On 1/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, hornyhorn said:
depth wont be a problem next year
just let this kid run the wildcat if needed hes unstoppable
jordan_whittington.jpg

In 4a ball and as a senior you are correct. Tap the brakes. I would love to be proven wrong but he is not a VY or Eric metcalf just yet.

And before he signed he and Jake Smith were the second coming of (insert name). We do this every year. 

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm talking about the Mike White stuff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I appreciate his contributions to the team.  Unless he's put into some sort of quick trigger offense, not sure I'm seeing a long term future given his tendency to drop his eyes, self sack, and feel pressure that isn't there.  But I understand his desire to find out.  It wasn't going to happen here.

Good luck, dude.

Right, because no one ever improves with regular snaps, repetition, and game experience. Which Shane got none of. Wasn't everyone here ready to bench Sam last year?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I'm talking about the Mike White stuff

I'm still laughing about the Mike White stuff. It wouldn't kill me if somebody stepped up and challenged Dak, however. Especially Foles - but that won't happen, because if Jones were to hire Foles, he'd have to let Dak go free agent, I think.

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I hope he transfers to Arkansas so he can go ape shit on aggy

He's not going to Arkansas; Ben Hicks just grad transferred there to play under Morris

12 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm still laughing about the Mike White stuff. It wouldn't kill me if somebody stepped up and challenged Dak, however. Especially Foles - but that won't happen, because if Jones were to hire Foles, he'd have to let Dak go free agent, I think.

No one gives a fuck. Go post in the Cowboys thread. I thought I had clicked on the wrong thread for a second. 

Edited by ztejas

On 1/18/2019 at 9:26 AM, Rhinotx said:

Does any other aggy opponent need a QB? I hate to see him go to Arky. Maybe he can go to Texas State and find a way to beat them. How awesome would a 2nd string Texas QB playing at Texas State with a ex aggy couch winning be. Not likely but awesome.

Spav is doing his due diligence on this. We’ll see.

Shane still currently on the team while also in the transfer portal.  May go thru both Winter Offseason and Spring Ball too.......

“Shane, so proud for him and excited to see what the future holds for him,” Herman said. “Again, this is new for both of us. What I told him was whatever you’re comfortable with. I think it would be good for you to go through the winter offseason with (strength coach) Yancy (McKnight). I think it would be good for you to go through spring practice and stay sharp.

“But I’m also hoping that he doesn’t have to make a decision until May, either,” Herman added. “We certainly want what’s best for him. Yeah, he’s part of our team.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/transfers-texas-coach-tom-herman-excited-new-look-quarterback-room/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/16/2019 at 9:37 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty complete team player.  He's probably good enough, too, to perhaps further his career in the right offense.

He could start for a lot of P5 schools.  He needs to go as much as it hurts not to have a reliable backup.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to Shane Buechele