Shane Buechele

Machinator

On 2/7/2019 at 10:43 PM, Helobious said:

He's the UT record holder for single-season passing yards by a freshman. Threw for almost 3,000 yards the same season that Foreman ran for over 2,000. 5-7 team that year, goddamnit Charlie & company. 

That was the #8 passing season by a UT QB.  Only QBS to do better?

Colt McCoy 2008, 2009, 2007

Major Applewhite 1999

Chris Simms 2002

Sam Ehrlinger 2018

Vince Young 2005

On 2/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, ztejas said:

Oh I agree. #6 knows her way around a shaft. Just be careful. She has some baggage, for sure, and might be into her teammates. 

She's too thin to have played volleyball.  Although she's the only one in flats, so she might be the tallest.  And wearing flats indicates self-confidence.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:45 PM, Eggo said:

yes. 

On 2/12/2019 at 1:50 PM, Goodman said:

Yep, wearing a rock on that ring finger. Shane locking it up before his friends start looking after her this summer?

That looks more like a girl's class ring than an engagement ring.

"Instagram model" is 2018/2019's...

..."Part Time Model".

(Because "[she'd] probably still have to keep [her] normal job.")

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

You may be right, but in the process of doing some instagram investigating, I stumbled upon this UT alum turned Mavericks dancer. The internet is wonderful.

Side note: Girl on right is Andrew Beck's lady.

Edited by Eggo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, Eggo said:

You may be right, but in the process of doing some instagram investigating, I stumbled upon this UT alum turned Mavericks dancer. The internet is wonderful.

I can lose a day solely due to a single post on these sites.

This is a large reason why I still don't do the Instagram.It is a deadly Time Suck without receiving a return suck. 

16 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Don't know how Starkel had an Ivy League offer, because he seems dumb as a post.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Just like any other competitive interview situation for grads after leaving their respective schools.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Eggo said:

Side note: girl on left is my friend’s daughter 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I can lose a day solely due to a single post on these sites.

This is a large reason why I still don't do the Instagram.It is a deadly Time Suck without receiving a return suck. 

I've actually pulled a few insta dm hookups. But... pretty sure I'm in a younger generation than you. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I've actually pulled a few insta dm hookups. But... pretty sure I'm in a younger generation than you. 

1) Good to know. Perhaps I'll finally jump into the Insta, because even if the women are a bit older, frequent postings = cries for attention. (Hadn't thought this through before.)

2) Oh, most certainly I am a bit oldler. Though there might be girls around this age at gatherings that I'd attend in Buenos Aires, that's because they were the just-out-of college girls (or maybe even Spring Break college girls) from the US or UK or Europe or ???? who followed the trail of white powder that the younger expats in the extended group would sprinkle around to attract fresh meat.

With each passing year, I interacted with them less and less, because it just seemed odd. If they had a question or needed something, I would engage in conversation, but other than that, I'd just leave-them-be. But there was a fairly constant stream of new hotties that would file through the extended group and the Wooderson quote totally applied.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The article:

DALLAS — Nancy Buechele has a saying she likes to tell her family.

If you’re feeling negative about a situation, you need to “Shane Up.”

It means to be calm and optimistic. There’s no better way Nancy can describe her son, Shane Buechele.

“He’s so positive and just a really good kid,” she says. “I don’t have to worry about him ever. Ever.”

Shane handled the responsibility of being the first true freshman quarterback in Texas history to start his first two games, earning honorable mention All-Big 12 honors. He handled an injury-filled campaign in 2017. He handled losing the starting job to Sam Ehlinger in 2018, playing the role of supportive backup and winning two games off the bench.

Buechele doesn’t look back at his Texas time with any regret. There’s not much looking back at all. He now quarterbacks an SMU team filled with transfers from several Power 5 schools, like him. The Mustangs have been reshaped under Sonny Dykes, with a lot of talent at the offensive skill positions. They are looking to make a Year 2 jump under the coaching staff, with a newcomer in Buechele elected a captain.

With the season finally here, Shane’s up.

“I haven’t played in a while,” he says. “I want to go compete with the guys, have fun, get back to loving the game. I’ve been having fun with these guys. It’s a good time.

“It’s not proving people wrong. It’s having a good time and proving people right.”

“Texas is back, folks!”

When the Longhorns opened the 2016 season with a 50-47 double-overtime victory against Notre Dame and ESPN announcer Joe Tessitore proclaimed a return to glory, it seemed clear. It was a victory against a top-10 team, and Buechele introduced himself to the country by completing 16 of 26 passes for 280 yards with three total touchdowns in his collegiate debut. The 18-wheeler package with Tyrone Swoopes scored the winning touchdown, but Strong found his QB in Buechele, who had spurned Oklahoma, where he has family ties, to choose Texas.

Buechele comes from an athletic family, led by a former professional baseball player and coach as a dad and siblings who played college sports. Being the youngest of five added to his competitiveness. He could handle expectations and pressure. He excelled at academics, too, graduating from Arlington’s Lamar High School early to enroll at Texas in the spring.

The Notre Dame win jumped Texas from unranked to No. 11 in the AP poll. Two weeks later, the Longhorns lost a 50-43 shootout at Cal, but Buechele made an impression on Dykes, who was Cal’s head coach at the time and had developed Jared Goff into the NFL’s No. 1 draft pick the year before.

“I was impressed with how he handled himself and executed the offense,” Dykes says. “I remember thinking, if he was in an offense that suited his strengths, I think he could be really good. I was impressed with his maturity as a true freshman starting at Texas. He made an impression that Saturday in Berkeley.”

By early November, Texas sat at 5-4 coming off a win at Texas Tech, and Buechele hadn’t had a dud of a game. There were freshman ups and downs, but he appeared to be entrenched as the program’s future as a true freshman.

“He worked to be really good,” Strong says now. “You can’t find a better person in the classroom and on the field. As a person, it’s who he is. It’s what you really loved about him.”

But things turned quickly. Texas lost its final three games, including a stunner to Kansas in which Buechele threw three interceptions. Texas fired Strong. Still, when Texas beat LSU in securing Tom Herman as head coach, the future looked plenty bright. Buechele started the 2017 opener against Maryland, throwing for a career-high 375 yards.

But he injured his throwing shoulder and Texas lost. He returned in Week 4 and played well in a win at Iowa State, but a sprained ankle put him on the bench again. It became the theme of the year.

“He had extensive injuries people didn’t know about,” Nancy Buechele says.

When freshman Sam Ehlinger dealt with his own injuries, Buechele took over the starting job again for three weeks. The pair shared time down the stretch, though Ehlinger played better.

When Shane realized he could graduate early at Texas and transfer with two years of eligibility, he handled that, too. Now he’s poised to begin the 2019 season as SMU’s starting quarterback, beginning with a Week 1 trip to Arkansas State.

Not long ago, Buechele was the Longhorns’ quarterback of the future, thought to be the person who would save Charlie Strong’s job in Austin and bring Texas back to the top. Three years later, both have left, though Buechele did so by his own choice. At SMU, he’s back home in the Dallas-Fort Worth area with family nearby.

When the 2018 season began, Ehlinger was the starter with Buechele entrenched as the backup. What at one time looked like Buechele’s program was now in someone else’s hands.

Buechele played in only two games but made the most of it, going 20-for-34 and beating Baylor in place of an injured Ehlinger. Against Iowa State, Buechele went 10-for-10 and beat Iowa State, again filling in for an injured Ehlinger.

“What a remarkable young man,” Herman said after the Iowa State game. “His family and himself should be extremely proud.”

He still had the ability everyone loved as a freshman.

“He learned a lot from being on the sideline, on the headset,” Nancy says. “But he wanted to play.”

So he decided he would.

Buechele first talked to his family about the possibility of transferring during that 2018 season. He realized that if he crammed in a lot of classes in the winter and spring, he could graduate early again and move on as a transfer with immediate eligibility.

“Obviously it was a roller coaster up and down,” Buechele says of his time in Austin. “The highest highs and lowest lows. But I enjoyed my time. I don’t regret anything.”

In January, he entered the transfer portal. Because he played in only two games in 2018, new redshirt rules meant he had two years of eligibility at a new place. That made him even more enticing to teams.

“He graduated. It’s not like he was walking away,” Nancy says. “The chance to play right away was huge. It all worked out in his favor.”

Some of the schools that recruited Buechele as a four-star high schooler were interested again, like Florida State and UCLA. Maryland also pursued him. He looked into rejoining former Texas offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert at McNeese State.

As a grad transfer, the recruiting process dropped the games and fanfare.

“There’s an aspect of maturity,” Buechele says. “You don’t have to take all the pictures and put on the jerseys. It’s more of a business talk — what can happen here, how you can help me, stuff like that. It’s ultimately a more mature way to do the recruiting process.”

Dykes, now at SMU, had offered Buechele back at Cal and received a heads-up this time around. While Dykes recruited at Lamar High in December, coaches there told him Buechele might transfer. Dykes already planned to pursue a grad transfer quarterback, which is why previous starter Ben Hicks left in December and landed at Arkansas, where he has been named the starter. Buechele appeared to be the perfect fit.

SMU made a three-pronged pitch to Buechele: He would have a good chance to start in an offense that fit his skills, he could pursue an MBA at a good business school and he would be close to his family in Arlington.

“They’re running that air raid stuff he ran at Cal. That’s very similar to what Shane did in high school,” says Damon Evans, one of Buechele’s high school coaches. “His learning curve is going to be very small, because he has experience with that stuff.”

In February, Buechele announced his transfer to SMU, but he still had to finish school in Austin, without football. He’d go to class and work out with running back Kyle Porter, another Texas transfer who went to Houston. During spring ball, Buechele drove up to SMU on weekends. Just like his early arrival at Texas, he was already on to the next journey.

“He’d drive up from Austin, watch practice and hang around with players over the weekend,” Dykes says. “He was really active. That’s what sold everybody, the fact he was driving just to watch practice and be around and get to know his teammates. He made a real impression with those guys, showing how much he wanted to fit in with the team.”

That continued in the summer once Buechele officially joined.

“He came in, and it was like I’d known him for years,” SMU receiver James Proche says. “We instantly had a bond. The guys, we threw over the summer, but we also have a little basketball goal in my house, and we’d spend hours competing and building that chemistry and that bond.”

Buechele takes the reins of an SMU team with plenty of skill around him. Proche had 1,199 receiving yards last year. Reggie Roberson had 802. The Mustangs have also added transfer tight ends. From a talent standpoint, Dykes likes what he has.

“It took time to get used to them, but they’re go-getters,” Buechele says. “They can get the ball and have unbelievable ball skills.”

Two-plus years after ESPN proclaimed Texas was back, Ehlinger did the same thing after beating Georgia in January’s Sugar Bowl. Maybe the Longhorns actually are this time.

Despite the competition, Ehlinger and Buechele remain close. They are rooting for each other this fall and still communicate frequently.

“Shane said he’s doing great. He loves it,” Ehlinger says. “I’m expecting him to have a great year because he’s an incredible dude and incredible quarterback.”

The Buechele family has nothing bad to say about Shane’s time in Austin. They get it. It’s just how sports works sometimes. But no one is happier that he’s closer to home. His parents live in Arlington, as do some siblings. Nancy loves that they can go out to dinner more frequently. His father, Steve, is no longer a Texas Rangers coach and will get to every SMU game. They express nothing but pride in how Shane has handled an eventful few years of college football.

“He’s matured,” Steve says. “I think good comes out of everything. Even when he wasn’t playing at Texas, he was a good teammate, very classy about the whole thing and he continued to work. What’s always set him apart from high school was his work ethic, and he stuck to it even if things weren’t what he wanted. Now going to SMU, he dove in headfirst.”

Several SMU players mentioned Buechele’s instant ability to form relationships. That’s evident in his teammates voting him a captain.

Dykes still remembers the influence Kliff Kingsbury had as a Texas Tech quarterback in 2000. Part of Mike Leach’s first team, Kingsbury set a tone and a work ethic that carried on for several quarterbacks and teams after him. Dykes believes Buechele has the same traits.

“We needed a guy that was going to be really positive, be a dynamic leader,” Dykes says. “We felt that was Shane to a T, a guy who makes everyone around him better. That’s what we need in our program. That helps set your culture. … Be that guy who shows the next generations what the position is like in terms of preparation, being mature, sacrifice for others.

“He’s got that natural ability to make people around him better.”

Now it’s time to Shane Up.

— The Athletic’s Kaelen Jones contributed to this report.

• Like 6

Seems like a great kid.  Shame he got thrown to the wolves behind that shitshow of an OL.  Because of that he got tagged as something less than a leader.

Also kind of demonstrates what a special talent Sam is to mostly thrive behind that shitshow and show some ability to QB when not running for his life.

• Like 1

Hope he has a great season and stays healthy. If he were our backup we would know that no matter what we were in for a great season. Shane "Pretty Ducks" Buechele is how he is known in our household because as a freshman before he was ruined by Strong's staff even his ducks were very accurate.

• Machinator changed the title to Shane Buechele