Best player you ever had to guard

conVINCEd

Reggie Freeman.

Aside from former Texas players, Zack Wright, Doug Krause, Erik Hardeman, Adhar Mayen, and a guy named Pat Perkins from Reagan/Pflugerville who is cold as fuck even though nobody has ever heard of him. He's small, but he's left handed, deceptive, super quick, and has crazy handles. Probably the best handles of anyone I ever played against in HS. People from North Austin/Clay Madsen might know him, or anyone who went to the last And 1 open run here where he dropped 40 something. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Austin Jackson. As good as he is in baseball he is just as good at basketball, I am a little taller than him but fuck he worked me in high school

Najera when I was living in Mexico. I was at a tryout with the sultanes a baseball team Monterrey and we had a basketball camp and he came by. He didn't even play I just kind of guarded him for a shot. He made a 12 ft jumper but with his movement I couldn't imagine guarding him in a game when he tried.

• Like 1

I had to guard some pretty damn good basketball players, but none that were recognizable D1 names. But my older brother had to guard AJ Abrams for 3 years. Easily the best high school basketball player I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen some great ones. I honestly expected him to be a little better at Texas, and that’s saying a lot, considering he left as the all time leading 3 point shooter in the big 12. He was basically Steph Curry in high school 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I had to guard some pretty damn good basketball players, but none that were recognizable D1 names. But my older brother had to guard AJ Abrams for 3 years. Easily the best high school basketball player I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen some great ones. I honestly expected him to be a little better at Texas, and that’s saying a lot, considering he left as the all time leading 3 point shooter in the big 12. He was basically Steph Curry in high school 

Doug Krause and AJ would just go at each other. AJ was on varsity for three years- his first two years McNeil and Pflugerville both went 13-1 in district, each losing in the road to the other one, and his third year PHS swept and went 14-0 in district. Those games were off the chain, and with Pflugerville's athletes and McNeil's goofy rims the show before the game was must-see stuff. That's one of those things that makes me wish we all did have camera phones back then. Those games were amazing. 

And yeah he was exactly like Steph in HS. The quickest release from 28 feet off the dribble and he splashes it. and then he does it again. and again. and then he drives and finishes with a reverse or a floater. lightning quick. he scored 35 against us in both games my senior year. he was crazy in HS. I wish Doug had is shit together so we could have signed him instead of JD Lewis.

Edited by Goo Punch

I was 11-13 at the time, but my brothers team got matched up with RR McNeil in the playoffs 3 years in a row. 

And you’re exactly right. His “heat checks” were some of the craziest things I’d ever seen in person in an organized basketball game. I’m sitting there with my best friends and my parents like “wtf are we watching right now?!” Just had to laugh it off and admit that the guy that I looked up to is going to get embarrassed everytime we played RR McNeil. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Darvin Ham in pick up games at the Rec at Tech.  I actually tried to set up and take a charge one time.  That's also on my list of "Alltime dumbest sports decisions you ever made"

I went to high school during what had to be the absolute peak of Washington State high school basketball. 

Luke Ridnour, Brandon Roy, Marvin Williams, Aaron Brooks, Isaiah Stanback (the UW QB and Cowboys WR), Adam Morrison, Rodney Stuckney, Nate Robinson, plus a handful of other dudes that didn't make it pro, but played at high level D1 (USC, Kansas, Gonzaga, Oregon).

Personally played (well, tried to) against Starvin' Marvin, Aaron Brooks, Stanback (dude was basically high school Ben Wallace: no touch or offensive skills whatsoever, but would throw his body around and get 20 rebounds), Nate Robinson, and Adam Morrison. Plus Sebastian Telfair at the Las Vegas AAU tourney. Played LeBron's team, but he was on the bench with a broken wrist.

Morrison is exactly what you'd expect. We played him before anyone knew who he was. Even in warm-up lines, he doesn't look like he can play. Then, he's getting wherever he wants, and you can't get a finger on the ball no matter how slow and awkwardly he appears to be moving. Then he's shooting over you like you're not even there.

• Like 3

I played in some pickup games with a handful of NBA and DI guys in 1999 or so. Had to check Cedris Ceballos and David Wesley a few times. Let's just say they scored when they wanted. I did hit the game winning 3 in one game while CC was guarding me. /skill

East Texas in the early 90s. Played Laneville, Teneha, Troup, this list is long. The level of competition was insane. Playing 1A- 2A schools with 2-3 guys over 6-5 (a couple over 7’0) and could jump through the roof was crazy. With social media and the attention real talent can get these days no matter where it is - a lot of those guys would have D1 rides and some significant careers. The ability to read and write would have been a plus (in many cases).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A bunch of really good pickup players in various gyms. Maybe a few D1 guys, plenty of D2/D3 players or players that could have gone. Some SMU walk-on's that weren't particularly difficult to guard (let's just say it isn't that hard to walk-on at a lot of D1 schools).

Mark Clayton showed up at SMU one time. I probably had 6-7 inches on him and maybe even a few pounds. He set a screen on one play and I tried to get through it. It was basically like running into a fucking brick wall. He's not a very good basketball player but was still in tremendous shape. 

Limas Sweed used to show up at Lifetime off of WM Cannon. Not sure what he's up to these days, I haven't been to that gym in forever. Pretty good basketball player and freak athlete.

Eric McClellan showed up to that Lifetime one time - probably the best player to ever put on maroon for Austin High - bounced around D1 (was pretty good for Gonzaga - averaged 11 as a senior and won WCC DPOY) and he's playing in Lithuania right now. That is one of the more competitive pick-up gyms I've frequented and he shut it down like it was nothing. 

Even guys that are D1 role players for good teams that get looks at the NBA might as well not be human. As others have brought up in this thread, I'd imagine actual NBA players just do whatever the fuck they want. 

Jimmy King and Jason Sasser in the Dallas Metro/Slam-n-Jam league.  Played a lot of pickup games with Lamont Hill (Texas-ex) growing up.  We're from the same town.  They were all a couple of years older.  Also a lot of pickup games with Rayford Young (Trae's dad, fuck me I'm old).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

East Texas in the early 90s. Played Laneville, Teneha, Troup, this list is long. The level of competition was insane. Playing 1A- 2A schools with 2-3 guys over 6-5 (a couple over 7’0) and could jump through the roof was crazy. With social media and the attention real talent can get these days no matter where it is - a lot of those guys would have D1 rides and some significant careers. The ability to read and write would have been a plus (in many cases).

Eddie Jasper was a beast for Troup  basketball, not just football. All of those shcools were state title contenders during that run.

Edited by slorch

Eddie Jasper was a beast for Troup  basketball, not just football. All of those shcools were state title contenders during that run.

Ed Jasper - 1992 Troup Tigers won it all, my buddy was the point guard. This friend of mine is the brother in law of Pat Mahomes.

Ed Jasper - 1992 Troup Tigers won it all, my buddy was the point guard. This friend of mine is the brother in law of Pat Mahomes.

Found this great article about 1992 - Longview, Laneville, Troup all won state that year. I played against Laneville and Troup that year. Leneville Beat is by 80-90 points lol.

[https://tylerpaper.com/sports/uil-honoring-state-champs----troup-laneville-longview/article_731413f5-ea0b-506c-8f5e-5bb85e16cf44.amp.html/]

48 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

I went to Abernathy but had already graduated when our boys beat Troup in 91. 

I honestly was never really impressed with Clack's skill level playing against him and others in Gregory. Obviously he was athletic as anyone, but as far as impressive skill, he didn't really stand out. There was one cat who never actually played for us, but was sitting out as a transfer during Penders final season. He was from New York and had a build similar to Baron Davis, dude could fucking ball. I forgot why he transferred out after the Axtel/Penders grade debacle, but I always wondered what happened to him.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

20 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Glendon Alexander, Desmond Mason, Kenyon Martin, and Randy Duck (played guard for Cal Berkeley alongside Jason Kidd).

We probably played against each other at some point.  I spent a lot of time at Hofford  and played against Duck on a regular basis.  His teammate at Garland (TJ?) who signed with Huggins at Cinci was better in a pickup environment, but I don’t think he ever qualified and disappeared.   Odd story, but Duck actually ended my hs basketball career.  Not his fault, just a freak injury, but it happened while I was helping on him.  Alexander never impressed me that much although he was pretty young when I played against him.

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Romance Taylor, man. That’s another name I remember my brother going up against. Obviously we all remember him at Texas, but as a basketball player...Jesus Christ 

Dude was just an insane athlete. Not big by any means, but he could just fly. Especially against morons like me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, housious said:

Dude was just an insane athlete. Not big by any means, but he could just fly. Especially against morons like me.

His “layup” line pregame shit was a thing of beauty lol. When shorter guys are that athletic, they can put on some dunk contest type of shit, and he would do it anytime we saw him. 

@conVINCEd

Yeah we probably did although I mostly played at Audobon rec, Granger, and Lou Huff during that era. I'm 2 years younger than Duck so Alexander was just a year younger than me and right in my wheelhouse. I remember a TJ who played at Naaman Forrest or maybe North Garland (had absolutely ridiculous hops and usually won those Hoop-It-Up dunk contest back in the day), but with open enrollment he probably played at Garland too.  There was a Richard Johnson at Garland who was my year who played with Duck during his final 2 seasons at Garland High. Richard played at Baylor for a year or two, before transferring. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
forgot to quote your post

Played a pickup game against Roy Tarpley one day.  I didn't actually guard him -- all of us on the court guarded him.  It didn't matter.

Guarded some badass from Highland Park in dorm intramurals my freshman year.  I fouled out.  The ref was just laughing -- "I've never seen anyone foul out of an intramural game before.  Congrats."

11 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Romance Taylor, man. That’s another name I remember my brother going up against. Obviously we all remember him at Texas, but as a basketball player...Jesus Christ 

Krause played AAU with RT, AJ, Robbie Cowgill, the LBJ trio (Chuck, Skip, Marshall Brown), Matt Brauer, and te other area guys from 03-04. and he told me about RT temporarily shutting down damn near the entire AAU tourney in Vegas (so like 8-10 courts) when he dunked on some 6'8" guy from about 11 feet out. The reaction was so wild that all the other games stopped to see what was going on. One of the best athletes to ever come out of CenTex.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

McClintock

Does anybody else remember him destroying everybody at the Fiji Low Hoop tournament back around 2000? It was when he still played WR, so he was still pretty thin. Hell, if it was still his freshman year, he would have been the reigning CenTex POY. That shit was comical.

5 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Does anybody else remember him destroying everybody at the Fiji Low Hoop tournament back around 2000? It was when he still played WR, so he was still pretty thin. Hell, if it was still his freshman year, he would have been the reigning CenTex POY. That shit was comical.

Was actually at the Kappa Sig house.  He was still a sr. in hs and it was very comical.  Had to stop the game multiple times due to everyone there throwing their beers on the court after he dunked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Gee Gervin.  He could still finger roll - just not as good as his old man.

Ha, I too have played a Spurs Legend's son in rec league basketball. David Robinson, Jr. is nowhere near the "honed" athlete his two brothers are though. Although he could bounce like his dad. Could jump all over the floor and even decent getting to the rim, but never ever wanted him to take a jump shot.