The OxyContin family

Nice Guy Eddie

On 1/17/2019 at 8:02 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

Chronic pain is a result of people who never exercise and catastrophize their own pain. Chronic pain is very complex, it isn’t anything like acute pain. In my time as a PT, chronic pain patients are almost always those that NEVER exercise and eat terribly. 

They never needed oxy, they need to go for a fucking walk. 

You need to narrow down your brush stroke there brother.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am sure that you are absolutely correct. I am also sure that there is a grain of truth to Sub's rant also. 

Oh I have no doubt there is some truth in his statements.  There are just far too many different reasons for chronic pain to make the statement that it is because all sufferers are lazy and won't exercise.

After the lifelong battering I've been through, (and yes I exercise, walk and work out like a mofo,) if I had a physician tell me that, I definitely get some more exercise at his expense.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

Sacklers being called out as Public Enemy #1 by the Mass AG:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/purdue-pharma-lawsuit-massachusetts-attorney-general-blames-sackler-family-for-creating-opioid-crisis-oxycontin/

The Massachusetts attorney general is targeting Purdue Pharma and eight members of the Sackler family who own the company, alleging in a lawsuit they are "personally responsible" for deceptively selling OxyContin. 

The attorney general, Maura Healey, sat down with "CBS This Morning." She alleges the Sackler family hired "hundreds of workers to carry out their wishes" – pushing doctors to get "more patients on opioids, at higher doses, for longer, than ever before" all while paying "themselves billions of dollars."

I understand that Purdue and the Sacklers and at least one person here want to say that Oxy was only a small percent of the overall opioid epidemic but I find that a weak argument.    Do you really want to argue that you're not as bad as Mexican heroin or Chinese fentanyl?    "Maybe I stabbed a few people but its not like I'm the Manson Family."

FYI, if Mass is success in going after Purdue/Sacklers, I imagine that other AGs will jump on the bandwagon.  They all love public settlements.  Always good on the resume when you run for governor or senator.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Color me extremely cynical about all this bullshit. If necessary, Congress will declare the Sacklers an engangered species and pass the “Sacklers protection act” which will make it impossible to sue or prosecute these sumbitches. That’s how business is done in the USA.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

this whole thread...

tenor.gif?itemid=3915584

Y'know it was you that inspired my first comment. You were leading the pack. I wasn't quite ready for it, but when someone on the front lines says it should happen I tend to give it credence. 

How about this?

I see that I am late again. Oh well 

Edited by cactusflinthead

Now here's a straight shooter with upper management written all over her:

BOSTON (Reuters) - An ex-stripper who became a regional sales director at Insys Therapeutics Inc gave a doctor a lap dance at a Chicago club as the drugmaker pushed the doctor to prescribe its addictive fentanyl spray, a former Insys employee testified on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-insys-opioids/insys-executive-gave-doctor-lap-dance-while-promoting-drug-witness-says-idUSKCN1PN2TF

9 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

BOSTON (Reuters) - An ex-stripper who became a regional sales director at Insys Therapeutics Inc gave a doctor a lap dance at a Chicago club as the drugmaker pushed the doctor to prescribe its addictive fentanyl spray, a former Insys employee testified on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-insys-opioids/insys-executive-gave-doctor-lap-dance-while-promoting-drug-witness-says-idUSKCN1PN2TF

why'd i waste 8 years of school studying reflexive anthropology?

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I'm guessing that might work better than bagels and cream cheese. 

That was one of the first questions that popped into my head when this thread appeared, how did they try to make money on the other end.

One of my clients is a Pakistani guy who owns a regional hospital/medical group. . .and a large distributor of tobacco and convenience store products, like off brand swisher sweets and monster drinks and energy shots. The type of shit you see by the register at seedy bodegas. So he sells smokes and treats cancer/copd.

Hilary will never be president had her local in-person fundraiser at his house.

I don't think that is really a huge revelation. One of PPs drugs is bupenorphine, which is a partial opioid like methadone (I believe) that may have some utility in heroin/opioid recovery treatment. But it is also a painkiller. At one time, it was marketed for the former, but currently only for the latter. 

• 3 weeks later...

What about the people who run the corporation? Time behind bars? Nah, wouldn’t want to send corporate America the wrong message. They might get spooked thinking that the gov might try to apply the law to them also. Can’t have that. Gravy train and all that.

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

What about the people who run the corporation? Time behind bars? Nah, wouldn’t want to send corporate America the wrong message. They might get spooked thinking that the gov might try to apply the law to them also. Can’t have that. Gravy train and all that.

I don't disagree.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2019 at 6:49 AM, futureman said:

hindsight is 20/20.  there’s probably an element of greed but the shit was made for cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers.  they didn’t huddle up and say “how can we destroy lives while getting filthy rich in the process?”

This fucking moron is wrong again. What a shock. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I thought I heard earlier today that Oklahoma was asking for something like $15 billion in damages, so this verdict is about 4% of the petitioned amount.

Which is why J&Js stock was doing ok OK.  

I wonder what it'll do when people realize there are 49 other states.

2 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

The other Pharma's got off relatively cheap compared to that by choosing to settle.  Now it will be interesting to see how Oklahoma fucks everything up and blows the money.  

Time for a tax break for the very rich (people and corps) because they will use that extra cash to invest in hiring more and giving raises to the lowest paid workers.

• Like 2

I'm happy with the verdict, knowing full well this will go from one appeal to another til 552 million is 20 million. But hopefully it means these drug companies cant push this shit around like candy, creating addiction and turning treatment centers into a revolving door.

4 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

People need to take more responsibility for their own actions. I hate that prescription pain killer shit and all but refuse to use it, ever, period. That said, it's no secret(and hasn't been) that opioids are highly addictive. But hey let's sue somehody....yeah!!!

actions like knowingly and intentionally lying to the public about the dangers of your drugs? 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 6