Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

We love Pavlov'ing our dogs. Whenever it's dinner time we play "Dazzey Duks" by 90's Atlanta based hip hop group "Duice" (great opening to the song that's gets the dogs hyped every time), and whenever it's time for a treat I just say "Tiny Rick". It's awesome.

also if you aren't familiar with Tiny Rick you got to get on that shit.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:14 PM, DDD Dad said:
Question:  Have any of you purchased pet insurance?  Is it worth the expense?  Are there good ones you would recommend if so?  We got a free trial coverage through AKC for Hattie and now are trying to decide whether there's any point in paying for it going forward.

I used Trupanion and would recommend them if you are going to use pet insurance. It excludes pre-existing conditions but not breed specific. Premiums can be adjusted by raising (or lowering) the deductible. Deductibles are by condition not occurrence or annual. They also offer riders to cover preventative care, dental cleaning and euthanasia. There is some cover for alternative medicines, but I am not familiar with it.

I did coverage for my last Shar Pei, Hunter. His pics were on the old site, but I haven’t posted about him here before he passed in January. He was rescued from Operation Kindness via Dallas Animal services. His only exclusions were ear infections, respiratory infections and heartworms since those were treated by the shelter/rescue and in his records when the policy was started. Over the years, they paid/covered after the condition specific deductible was met: joint issues related to Shar Pei fevers/swollen hocks, hip dysplasia, arthritis, entropion and the tumor (likely cancer) workup at the end. They even covered the radiologist consult for the imaging over-read. The EOBs were very clear and payment was always prompt (you can choose direct deposit or they will send you a check). They have an appeal process if you disagree with a determination, but I don’t have experience with them on that. All of the claims were covered under the policy terms. Since I didn’t choose the rider, euthanasia was not covered when it was time. After I cancelled the policy, they prorated the current months premium within a business day or two. If you choose to continue with pet insurance, I would recommend Trupanion.

Here’s Hunter, who passed last month. Officially nine, but probably 10-11 by the vets guess (OK is known for just putting 2 as the young adult age).
bc492323cf63eb8606f142c7d5023268.jpgaec4b63d1e4d91451856792d5c2a2f13.jpg

Edited by Baern214
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

We love Pavlov'ing our dogs. Whenever it's dinner time we play "Dazzey Duks" by 90's Atlanta based hip hop group "Duice" (great opening to the song that's gets the dogs hyped every time), and whenever it's time for a treat I just say "Tiny Rick". It's awesome.

also if you aren't familiar with Tiny Rick you got to get on that shit.

seeing dogs catch on to shit is so much fun.  I bought one of those foam stair things from Amazon for Kevin to help him get on the bed (too soft/small for him, I need to get something more like a platform to act as a step) and teaching the little dog how to use them has been hilarious.  From him not wanting to have anything to do with it at all, to not being sure about it, to only remembering that it exists if he sees it, to hearing him rustle about on the floor and then noises and then here comes the little dipshit up the stairs to try and get between me and my laptop.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 10:40 AM, Ths71 said:

Don't know if I love this thread or hate it...:(

This.  Dale Hanson’s dog passed and he did a short segment on it.  😭😭😭

my little fella has had a cough for over 2 weeks now...  vets have him on cough suppressants, abx and allergy meds.  Not doing much better.  Man these little balls of fur tear me apart.

Getting the girls ready for Baseball tailgating.

Bought Chloe's shirt a little large because I think she's gonna gain another 5 Lbs.  (although for the life of me HTF a 50% mutt & 25% Great Pyr/ 25% Lab mix can only end up being 35-40 lbs is beyond me)

46437985704_ace1d4f431.jpg

Sadie's shirt isnt as tight as it looks, but the next size up was swimming on her

32219478597_e6d4407dc9.jpg

32219481737_dc9840993b.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Coyote said:

I bought these as a backup and tested one out today. They are solid squeaker around the donut, and Walter won’t even look at the one stuffed with cotton.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTDUPKY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Holy shit, $23 for 3 of them? I get mine at the TJ Maxx on Great Hills for $3-4 each, depending on the size. The exact same ones at your link.

Edited by austingirl

48 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If you are having trouble giving your dog meds , I discovered by accident that putting it into wet food then into the fridge that the cold kills the smell and taste like it does cheap beer. Luna scarfed that shit up when I took it out of the fridge. 

Cherry tomatoes. I squeeze an opening and stuff the pill into it. My dog loves it and doesn't even realize there is a pill in it.

Edited by tucker

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

If you are having trouble giving your dog meds , I discovered by accident that putting it into wet food then into the fridge that the cold kills the smell and taste like it does cheap beer. Luna scarfed that shit up when I took it out of the fridge. 

Ask the vet for liquid versions, if available. Then you can just fill a syringe and give it to them directly or put it on their food. 

On 2/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, Baern214 said:

I used Trupanion and would recommend them if you are going to use pet insurance. It excludes pre-existing conditions but not breed specific. Premiums can be adjusted by raising (or lowering) the deductible. Deductibles are by condition not occurrence or annual. They also offer riders to cover preventative care, dental cleaning and euthanasia. There is some cover for alternative medicines, but I am not familiar with it.

I did coverage for my last Shar Pei, Hunter. His pics were on the old site, but I haven’t posted about him here before he passed in January. He was rescued from Operation Kindness via Dallas Animal services. His only exclusions were ear infections, respiratory infections and heartworms since those were treated by the shelter/rescue and in his records when the policy was started. Over the years, they paid/covered after the condition specific deductible was met: joint issues related to Shar Pei fevers/swollen hocks, hip dysplasia, arthritis, entropion and the tumor (likely cancer) workup at the end. They even covered the radiologist consult for the imaging over-read. The EOBs were very clear and payment was always prompt (you can choose direct deposit or they will send you a check). They have an appeal process if you disagree with a determination, but I don’t have experience with them on that. All of the claims were covered under the policy terms. Since I didn’t choose the rider, euthanasia was not covered when it was time. After I cancelled the policy, they prorated the current months premium within a business day or two. If you choose to continue with pet insurance, I would recommend Trupanion.

Here’s Hunter, who passed last month. Officially nine, but probably 10-11 by the vets guess (OK is known for just putting 2 as the young adult age).
bc492323cf63eb8606f142c7d5023268.jpgaec4b63d1e4d91451856792d5c2a2f13.jpg

Fuckin A Brother!  I've had 4 Shar Peis.  Funny little fuckers and smart as they can be.

Hunter's got that "My shit don't stink" pose down pat in that 2nd pic.

Here's mine, Kona, doing the same pose...

1801284_10152280133662348_365580676_o_zp

Hittin' the bottle...

15622767_10154722374672348_1789353513037L

Love attacking my special lady friend...

14568113_10154478657762348_6912992690364

• Like 1

Time to step up Surly dog owners.

Emma Mertens is a 7-year-old girl living in Wisconsin who is currently fighting a very rare and inoperable brain tumor called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG).

quote:
she wants people all over the world to send photos and letters from their dogs, as the family said she finds comfort in them.

quote:
If your pup would like to send this brave little girl a message, here’s the address: 

Emma Mertens 
P.O. Box 230 
Hartland, WI 
Email: emmalovesdogs7@gmail.com
MSN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Time to step up Surly dog owners.

Emma Mertens is a 7-year-old girl living in Wisconsin who is currently fighting a very rare and inoperable brain tumor called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG).

quote:
she wants people all over the world to send photos and letters from their dogs, as the family said she finds comfort in them.

quote:
If your pup would like to send this brave little girl a message, here’s the address: 

Emma Mertens 
P.O. Box 230 
Hartland, WI 
Email: emmalovesdogs7@gmail.com
MSN

Gonna send her this...