Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Shelby’s surgery went well on Friday and the vet said she is recovering about as well as can be expected. Blood counts are improving, vitals are good, she is eating some and walking around. We won’t get to see her until we pick her up, which is hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Still have to wait on pathology and odds are 75% that it’s malignant, but we are trying to stay positive that she’ll be in the lucky minority.

Shelby’s pathology came through yesterday - hemangiosarcoma, not what we wanted. They say it has usually metastasized by the time symptoms and surgery occur and the surgeon saw suspicious spots in her abdomen. The long term prognosis is poor, usually 1-2 months without treatment, possibly 6-9 months with chemo. I’ve read some veterinary literature that says quality of life is typically good while on chemo so we’re going to see an oncologist on Monday.

In the meantime, she has recovered well from the surgery and seems fairly chipper around the house. We had to take it easy for 2 weeks, but given the diagnosis and prognosis, I think we’re gonna ease her back into neighborhood walks. And lots of hugs, pets, treats, eggs, chicken, etc. Maybe a visit to Mutts.

b9cb0beae1561d90b2ed16b36c233f8a.jpg
  • Like 5

Shelby’s pathology came through yesterday - hemangiosarcoma, not what we wanted. They say it has usually metastasized by the time symptoms and surgery occur and the surgeon saw suspicious spots in her abdomen. The long term prognosis is poor, usually 1-2 months without treatment, possibly 6-9 months with chemo. I’ve read some veterinary literature that says quality of life is typically good while on chemo so we’re going to see an oncologist on Monday.

In the meantime, she has recovered well from the surgery and seems fairly chipper around the house. We had to take it easy for 2 weeks, but given the diagnosis and prognosis, I think we’re gonna ease her back into neighborhood walks. And lots of hugs, pets, treats, eggs, chicken, etc. Maybe a visit to Mutts.

b9cb0beae1561d90b2ed16b36c233f8a.jpg
Shelby looks like a fighter. Giving out positive thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

On 10/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Daww, what kind is he?

Dachsador

Half Dachsund. Half Labrador. 

He was a rescue from a local Austin shelter. I had never heard of this type of dog until I saw Dewey in May. 

And since I have always wanted a dog that stays a small Lab forever. It was a perfect match. 

We’ve all experienced the dog jumping up from a deep sleep as soon as they hear the cheese wrapper. Yesterday the dog took it to a new level. When I picked up the peanut butter jar and walked out of the pantry with it, she shot up and made a ninety mile an hour beeline straight to me. Now keep in mind this was not opening the jar. I didn’t even make a sound when I picked it up. She just obviously smelled it as soon as I exited the pantry. Impressive.

0b6ae057827bf0724feb69333c728b53.jpg

• Like 5

My parents inherited my grandma's cat when she died in 2010. He has always been the meanest bastard ever - he wouldn't let anyone get near him except my mom, and even then it was years before he stopped hissing at her. Of course he's always hated their pugs, even though they keep trying to play with him. Well, he's pretty sick and likely has kidney failure. He's all skin and bones. But apparently he has become the friendliest thing in the last few weeks. He would never give the pugs the time of day, but apparently Bella is his new BFF and he hangs with her on her bed every day. I guess at the end of his life he decided to make amends.

f577a9d2c1a0018ed9b126d8360d64e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5