Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Any puppy advice?  Besides a military-esc schedule for potty training which we're gearing up for.  This little monkey is going to learn to love soccer fields.  Practices 4 days a week.  Games.  Tournaments.  She'll be going everywhere with us.  I run/ruck a lot during the kids practices, so she'll start that with me immediately.  

All of them have different personalities. Be firm, consistent and loving. Never had an issue potty training. The one I had that was the wildest as a puppy ended up the sweetest best behaved adult I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

We found out today that Finn has not grown out of his "I'm going to eat all the christmas ornaments I can reach on the tree" phase.  Wife went ballistic as a lot of them were family heirloom ornaments.

Neighbors cross the street from us had to take their old lab to the vet for obstruction issues.  Turned out he'd been eating her dirty panties out of the hamper and crapping them out in the back yard.  Then got backed up and had to have surgery.

It could always be worse.....

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We found out today that Finn has not grown out of his "I'm going to eat all the christmas ornaments I can reach on the tree" phase.  Wife went ballistic as a lot of them were family heirloom ornaments.

When it happens, immediately induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 pounds of body weight. Blue ate a bunch last year and got the hydrogen peroxide to her in the first 30 minutes and she threw up all the ingested ornaments. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

When it happens, immediately induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 pounds of body weight. Blue ate a bunch last year and got the hydrogen peroxide to her in the first 30 minutes and she threw up all the ingested ornaments. 

Luckily he doesn't actually eat them, he just destroys them and leaves them in pieces everywhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Had a lady friend over for sexy time at my place, which is breaking one of my rules, but that's how it goes. Turns out Luna is not a fan, and wouldn't stop whining at my bedroom door while we got our freak on. 

Any suggestions? Not letting her in my room because she just stares like a serial killer, and it's weird. 

Put a leash on the girl and leave the door open. Dog will prly stay out.

• Haha 1

Dogs are so awesome. They ask for so little but give so much in return.

We have had Sadie for a couple of months now. We drove down from Missouri to San Antonio over Thanksgiving and she was amazing. She has really found her spot in the family.

We are going to meet another Great Pyrenees, hopefully tomorrow, from the same rescue. She is 3 years old:

7ed53fe6577fbb19185d48af09df4926.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry Skipper. I feel you, man.

As I mentioned above, we had to put Tuco down a couple of months ago. I thought it wouldn't be so hard, because it was a couple of weeks past time to take him in. I was a complete basket case.

I took him to Sonic for a cheeseburger, and for a nice ride in the truck. He was such a badass dog.

I miss him.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 12/9/2019 at 1:16 PM, BabaYaga said:

Any puppy advice?  Besides a military-esc schedule for potty training which we're gearing up for.  This little monkey is going to learn to love soccer fields.  Practices 4 days a week.  Games.  Tournaments.  She'll be going everywhere with us.  I run/ruck a lot during the kids practices, so she'll start that with me immediately.  

In addition to what the others have said, expose them to things like a vacuum cleaner (both running and off), brooms, and so on. It sounds dumb but those are the kinds of things dogs will bark at or freak out around, and the earlier you expose them the better. And make sure they get a chance to be around people of all colors, shapes, and sizes. If they only ever see white people, for example, during puppyhood, then they may not know what to do when they meet someone who's a different color.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, austingirl said:

In addition to what the others have said, expose them to things like a vacuum cleaner (both running and off), brooms, and so on. It sounds dumb but those are the kinds of things dogs will bark at or freak out around, and the earlier you expose them the better. And make sure they get a chance to be around people of all colors, shapes, and sizes. If they only ever see white people, for example, during puppyhood, then they may not know what to do when they meet someone who's a different color.

I will also add dogs will tend to reflect the attitude of the owner. If anyone in your house is the least bit neurotic, make sure they aren't the one doing the majority of puppy raising and training. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 1:16 PM, BabaYaga said:

Are you in Austin? If so, check out Hearts and Paws - they do free puppy parties on a regular basis for puppies under 16 weeks old. We did one with Rocket and it was great. Fun to watch all the puppies play and a good socializing time for them with little dogs their own size. Somewhere in this thread I posted a video from the one we went to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, austingirl said:

Are you in Austin? If so, check out Hearts and Paws - they do free puppy parties on a regular basis for puppies under 16 weeks old. We did one with Rocket and it was great. Fun to watch all the puppies play and a good socializing time for them with little dogs their own size. Somewhere in this thread I posted a video from the one we went to.

North Dallas.  She's attached IMMEDIATELY to my daughter.  On the car ride home (picked her up Tuesday) in fact.  Wife works from home, so now her as well.  Son and I, not so much.  Guessing it will just take time.  

• Like 1

Ok, so we adopted this little muppet from a

On 12/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, You don't know me said:

Dogs are so awesome. They ask for so little but give so much in return.

We have had Sadie for a couple of months now. We drove down from Missouri to San Antonio over Thanksgiving and she was amazing. She has really found her spot in the family.

We are going to meet another Great Pyrenees, hopefully tomorrow, from the same rescue. She is 3 years old:

7ed53fe6577fbb19185d48af09df4926.jpg

GP's are intense.  They are fantastic, amazing ranch dogs.  Rancher near us has one.  Coyote killing machines.  Chases our truck up and down the dirt roads.  Hang a arm out the window, you might not get it back.  

21 hours ago, Deej said:

I will also add dogs will tend to reflect the attitude of the owner. If anyone in your house is the least bit neurotic, make sure they aren't the one doing the majority of puppy raising and training. 

This would explain why Luna likes to stick her snout into the crotches of women. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

This would explain why Luna likes to stick her snout into the crotches of women. 

We had a lab when I was in high school. Whenever my girlfriend would be over, he would immediately go shove his snout into her crotch. My dad, smartass that he was, one time says, "He must smell you." Thanks, Pops.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I haven’t checked this thread in a long time. Spent the last two days catching up. Really is the beat thread. Toby has been with us almost three years now. I fought getting a dog for a long time before finally giving in to the kids. Best thing I ever did. I had never had a pet before and now I’m a full on dog person. Open to the idea of a second dog now if the right opportunity comes up.

My Toby on the left with Cousin Louie on the right.

38cb100a10819e32f7c32924fbc84e83.jpg

“You really not going to share your dinner with me mom?”

5141d2b03cc1eb5b3378980fbb81ecb4.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Two dogs is actually easier than one. They can entertain themselves and tend to wear each other out in the yard, so your walks don't need to be as long.

23 hours ago, sachick said:

I haven’t checked this thread in a long time. Spent the last two days catching up. Really is the beat thread. Toby has been with us almost three years now. I fought getting a dog for a long time before finally giving in to the kids. Best thing I ever did. I had never had a pet before and now I’m a full on dog person. Open to the idea of a second dog now if the right opportunity comes up.

My Toby on the left with Cousin Louie on the right.

38cb100a10819e32f7c32924fbc84e83.jpg

“You really not going to share your dinner with me mom?”

5141d2b03cc1eb5b3378980fbb81ecb4.jpg

Yeah, I was hesitant to have two, but looking back, I'm so glad we got our second one. Dogs are pack animals and they really do do better with other dogs. Edgar was pretty neurotic and on Prozac for a long time, but he mellowed out a lot when we got Rocket. Not that they didn't have issues getting along at first, but it's been almost a year and they are best buds for the most part. Unless one tries to take the others' bone/toy, and then all bets are off.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was hesitant to have two, but looking back, I'm so glad we got our second one. Dogs are pack animals and they really do do better with other dogs. Edgar was pretty neurotic and on Prozac for a long time, but he mellowed out a lot when we got Rocket. Not that they didn't have issues getting along at first, but it's been almost a year and they are best buds for the most part. Unless one tries to take the others' bone/toy, and then all bets are off.

Yeah, this was Toby after Louie left. He was done.

c241cef5f095b3a4110bce4e70c19799.jpg
  • Like 1

Puppah update.  OK, I'm whipped....

Spent last weekend with her.  Wife had daughter for out of town soccer tourney.  I had son at his, so she went everywhere with us.  Everyone fell in love with her.  She's disgustingly sweet.  Sits in your lap.  Licks your face.  Just super chill.  90% housebroken already (we got her on the 10th).  Knows her name.  Sits for treats.  Good on a leash.  Loves riding in the car.  

Sleeps through the night.  Up usually @ 6am.  Goes to the bathroom outside with the other dog, then gets in bed with us, wiggles between wife and I, on her back so we can rub her belly, and goes back to sleep, usually with her head on your arm or chest.  Little cuddle-bug.  We are an active family, so I think as long as she's in the middle of it all, she'll love it.  

Bonus points - my daughter is not a morning person.  Getting her up always a chore.  Now with the power of the obnoxiously happy puppah, I open her door, she runs in, jumps on daughter and licks her until she gets up.  BOOM....

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, Deej said:

Two dogs is actually easier than one. They can entertain themselves and tend to wear each other out in the yard, so your walks don't need to be as long.

Someone once told me this about kids. Nobody talks about 2x the shit you have to pick up.

Edited by HOOKEM4

The little dude has had enough I think. We moved this week so he’s missed more than a few of his naps. He wanted to lay down but I kept getting up to take care of stuff, so he just sat there and stared the last time I sat down like he was trying to make a point. 

81F27BD8-DD91-415C-B6E3-8F9D9F4D722D.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks like I'm rescuing dogs. . .from my ex wife.

Seriously, she has 5 and has decided to give me 2 of them, she and her husband are moving from Waco to the Woodlands and need to thin the herd.

The dappled (father) is Captain Jack Sparrow, the dark one (daughter) is Coco Pup.

My daughter is bringing them to us on Thursday.

256d1bd1291707606e592c8137904516.jpg

• Like 4

Got a DNA test done on Toby. When we picked him up we were told he was full blooded shih tzu. We were paying $100 to a guy in a trailer in Taylor so I wasn’t betting on that being true. Well three years later and he’s 27lbs. No way he’s full Shih-Tzu. Got results back and he’s mixed with one other breed. Any guesses?

45048fb491afc6ced3599d48c1b85cca.jpg

• Like 1