Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

15 hours ago, sachick said:

Got a DNA test done on Toby. When we picked him up we were told he was full blooded shih tzu. We were paying $100 to a guy in a trailer in Taylor so I wasn’t betting on that being true. Well three years later and he’s 27lbs. No way he’s full Shih-Tzu. Got results back and he’s mixed with one other breed. Any guesses?

45048fb491afc6ced3599d48c1b85cca.jpg

He will live longer and have fewer health problems, so a win in my book.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sachick said:

Yup! He’s half Beagle so he doesn’t have the short nose. Got a designer dog without knowing, they’re called Bea Tzu’s although DD has votes to call him a Shih(t)- Beagle.

Call him Toby or dog unless you dont care about anyone who knows you making fun behind your back.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, austingirl said:

This is from a few years ago but it still cracks me up. This is my parents' dog Lucy. She was not feeling festive, despite the outfit. Happy holidays, y'all!

f1ed2c951e4f5e11796323d4db697c22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pugs always have that “why me” look.  Lmao

• Like 1

We've had Sadie (Great Pyrenees and some sort of shepherd mix) for about 2 and a half months.  She's a fantastic dog, as I've mentioned on here before.  We've been looking for another from the same rescue to pair with her.  The first one that we met was on a farm where the previous owner just let her keep having more and more litters.  There were over 30 pyrs on that property and she had most of them according to the rescue.  The other day the guy from the rescue said that she has regressed and probably wouldn't be a good fit with us (we have 5 boys at home, so it's a bit active).  He brought another (her name is Lady) over on Tuesday and she's the one.  She was at the same farm, but is about a year old.  When he brought her to the house to meet us, she was a bit shy, but really opened up with my youngest 2 boys.  There were many tail wags and a few kisses given by her.  She also got along with Sadie, even when we brought her into the house.  Wife got a call from the guy at the rescue today...  "Well, Lady is pregnant."

The plan was for her to get spayed on New Year's Eve, but that's going to have to wait.  We were going to get her in January after healing up.  Now we'll be getting her next week and we will foster the pups after they get here. 

• Like 6

I grew up in a small rural town and so I was around puppy litters quite a few times in my youth. They were wonderful experiences, and helping the mom with the pups was very rewarding. From puppy sitting them when she needed to stretch and get away, to making sure the runt got a chance to eat too, to watching their eyes become unglued after a couple of weeks. It was all so neat. I still love the smell of puppy breath to this day.

They can share in the responsibility of keeping her litter area clean and helping to wash the towels and blankets that you will use in it.  There is so much for them to learn and be a part of in however much you deem appropriate.  Also, every female dog is different and some are more protective than others. Since she will be new to your family, you ought to take that into account as to how much to be around her with the newborns at first. Maybe your vet can give you good advice or recommend a good book to help you out. Fun times!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, sachick said:

Got a DNA test done on Toby. When we picked him up we were told he was full blooded shih tzu. We were paying $100 to a guy in a trailer in Taylor so I wasn’t betting on that being true. Well three years later and he’s 27lbs. No way he’s full Shih-Tzu. Got results back and he’s mixed with one other breed. Any guesses?

45048fb491afc6ced3599d48c1b85cca.jpg

spacer.png

An acquaintance from high school's dog had puppies about 2 months ago and I was contacted about them over the weekend. I picked up this little guy on sunday.

spacer.png

His name is Boots, he's about 8 weeks old and likes to wake me up by licking my face. The problem is he get a bit excited and starts trying to chew it off.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. 

LOVE them. old school and kinda dumpy, but top notch care. everybody i've ever referred there has been super satisfied. 

forever grateful...elder Dr. Simmons came to our house 10 years ago to put one of our babies down. Dr. Toth has been a lifesaver twice, literally.

i'll look for Penny's pic next time 🙂

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

LOVE them. old school and kinda dumpy, but top notch care. everybody i've ever referred there has been super satisfied. 

forever grateful...elder Dr. Simmons came to our house 10 years ago to put one of our babies down. Dr. Toth has been a lifesaver twice, literally.

i'll look for Penny's pic next time 🙂

It's on the wall in exam room 1.

They are great. Very affordable. They don't nickel and dime you. Always discuss the pricing and options on anything outside of the routine stuff beforehand. 

Blue, with her tiny liver, had a bad reaction to her anesthesia during her spay, and didn't come out of it for 6+ hours. Elder Dr. Simmons sat with her the whole time, keeping her as alert as possible. 

I have referred a ton of people there, too, with nobody being disappointed in the care and service. 

"Hi, my name is Jack, and I've just become your new supervisor. First thing to do is evict the cat that lives on your front porch. Then we need to procure covers for every seating surface in the house."

I'll get a pic of Jack's daughter, but it looks like I've been promoted to manager, Dachshund division. Good lord these dogs are amazing but challenging.

Welcome to all the new years dogs.

a05f2709a8df36eca39ad6da8eb3db37.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

"Hi, my name is Jack, and I've just become your new supervisor. First thing to do is evict the cat that lives on your front porch. Then we need to procure covers for every seating surface in the house."

I'll get a pic of Jack's daughter, but it looks like I've been promoted to manager, Dachshund division. Good lord these dogs are amazing but challenging.

Welcome to all the new years dogs.

a05f2709a8df36eca39ad6da8eb3db37.jpg

Maybe it is just the picture, but it appears the manager of the Dashhound division needs to deligate some toenail triming. Also good boy.

3 minutes ago, Stormandy said:

Maybe it is just the picture, but it appears the manager of the Dashhound division needs to deligate some toenail triming. Also good boy.

You're right about that, I'm going to do that tonight.  They just arrived from their previous owner (my ex wife) on the 26th and my other dog had oral surgery on the 27th so that got overlooked.

On 12/26/2019 at 4:02 PM, You don't know me said:

We've had Sadie (Great Pyrenees and some sort of shepherd mix) for about 2 and a half months.  She's a fantastic dog, as I've mentioned on here before.  We've been looking for another from the same rescue to pair with her.  The first one that we met was on a farm where the previous owner just let her keep having more and more litters.  There were over 30 pyrs on that property and she had most of them according to the rescue.  The other day the guy from the rescue said that she has regressed and probably wouldn't be a good fit with us (we have 5 boys at home, so it's a bit active).  He brought another (her name is Lady) over on Tuesday and she's the one.  She was at the same farm, but is about a year old.  When he brought her to the house to meet us, she was a bit shy, but really opened up with my youngest 2 boys.  There were many tail wags and a few kisses given by her.  She also got along with Sadie, even when we brought her into the house.  Wife got a call from the guy at the rescue today...  "Well, Lady is pregnant."

The plan was for her to get spayed on New Year's Eve, but that's going to have to wait.  We were going to get her in January after healing up.  Now we'll be getting her next week and we will foster the pups after they get here. 

Yeah, quoting myself for the update.

We got Lady last Monday.  So far, so good.  She has never lived in a house, but she has not had an accident in the house yet.  She and Sadie are getting along great.  Lady is still a bit nervous and maybe a little unsure of things, but overall she's adapting great.

There are 2 issues that are making me a bit nervous. 

1. She wants to go after the cat.  The first time she did it the cat just ran upstairs.  Lady will not go upstairs or down to the basement.  The second time, the cat stopped as soon as she got on the stairs, turned around, and got Lady right on the nose.  There was a cat claw stuck and we had to pull it out.  She hasn't gone after her full blast again, but I'm constantly aware and watching out.

2. When the dogs get treats, if Sadie gets a little too close, Lady bares her teeth.  Nothing has happened yet, but again, I'm a little concerned.  It's not a problem with regular dog food, just treats.  I can manage that though.

Sadie and Lady are playing some, which is so cool to watch. 

Lady is getting pretty close to delivering those pups.  I'd be surprised if they weren't here this week.

we picked this little guy up a week ago. his name is chancho!

anyway, i been feeding him blue buffalo wilderness puppy food the past week until my wife texted me this afternoon demanding we switch his food asap. apparently some facebook story floating around about someone’s dog dying after eating this brand. she seems pretty adamant about changing so i come to the surly collective for suggestions. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Meanwhile, our golden retriever, Nora, had a complete tear of her cranial cruciate ligament on her back right leg in early December. She could no longer put any weight on the leg and she had surgery on Dec 23. She is healing okay but it’s way too early to know if the surgery was successful and the total recovery time is 3+ months. That means she has to be locked in a bathroom 90% of the time and kept on a leash at all times, including going to the bathroom. Not the most fun experience for her or us, but hopefully it pays off in a few months.

05bdda4fb394aba06586cd7787bd469f.jpg

• Like 7

so I was watching the end of the Philly/Seattle game, and these two were sort of watching.

49342997791_7596cfd49f.jpg

but after the game ended, I changed the channel and stopped on Nat Geo Wild where they had a show  on about wolves....

the white dog was enthralled... she didnt fucking move until the commercial came up about 10 mins later, she was totally into the wolves running on the TV.  Black dog.... completely unimpressed

49343218392_c0dc37b409.jpg

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, joe dirt said:

we picked this little guy up a week ago. his name is chancho!

anyway, i been feeding him blue buffalo wilderness puppy food the past week until my wife texted me this afternoon demanding we switch his food asap. apparently some facebook story floating around about someone’s dog dying after eating this brand. she seems pretty adamant about changing so i come to the surly collective for suggestions. 

spacer.png

I'm just going to assume you already know that you now have to get another dog and name him Lefty. 

• Like 2