Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

19 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Meanwhile, our golden retriever, Nora, had a complete tear of her cranial cruciate ligament on her back right leg in early December. She could no longer put any weight on the leg and she had surgery on Dec 23. She is healing okay but it’s way too early to know if the surgery was successful and the total recovery time is 3+ months. That means she has to be locked in a bathroom 90% of the time and kept on a leash at all times, including going to the bathroom. Not the most fun experience for her or us, but hopefully it pays off in a few months.

05bdda4fb394aba06586cd7787bd469f.jpg

Keep her low key well after it heals and she gets the strength back in that leg. A lot of times they'll blow out the other side. Ask me how I know.

This sweet boy, Rocket, had x-rays today. The vet said he has "the worst case of hip dysplasia" she's ever seen. On one side, the ball of his femur is only barely in the hip socket, and on the other, the hip socket isn't formed like it should be. Or something along those lines. He just turned one at the end of November and this is about the age they usually diagnose it. We knew it was a possibility but I was not expecting it to be this bad.

The better news is that he can live a pretty normal life if he has major hip surgery. We are consulting with a vet orthopedic surgeon next week to figure it out. And besides walking janky and being slow to stand up, he's acting normal. She said they get used to the pain since it's normal to them, which I guess is a good thing but is still sad. He does have pain meds now.

Cross your fingers that our pet insurance helps with the cost. The policy doesn't specifically exclude hip dysplasia and doesn't have a waiting period, but I'm worried they'll find some loophole to get out of it. Either way we'll do surgery if that's what the doc recommends. I've spent money on much less worthy causes.413ddf60cd4cd05bf52a43fa323f9c91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 5:21 PM, Deej said:

Keep her low key well after it heals and she gets the strength back in that leg. A lot of times they'll blow out the other side. Ask me how I know.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, wild_turkey said:

Meanwhile, our golden retriever, Nora, had a complete tear of her cranial cruciate ligament on her back right leg in early December. She could no longer put any weight on the leg and she had surgery on Dec 23. She is healing okay but it’s way too early to know if the surgery was successful and the total recovery time is 3+ months. That means she has to be locked in a bathroom 90% of the time and kept on a leash at all times, including going to the bathroom. Not the most fun experience for her or us, but hopefully it pays off in a few months.

05bdda4fb394aba06586cd7787bd469f.jpg

I hope she feels better soon. I will be hitting y'all up for long-term surgical recovery tips here shortly.

Got Rocket's x-rays today. In case y'all ever wondered what severe bilateral hip dysplasia in canines looks like, here you go. The top one is normal for comparison. You can see in the bottom left how there is no joint at all - the femur is "floating" and the hip socket is almost flat. It's slightly more concave on the right but still relatively flat. The heads of both femurs are also deformed, although that's harder to tell if you don't usually look at x-rays of dog femurs.

The good news is that he really doesn't seem like he knows anything is wrong. Still just being a giant puppy.

3d325ff9962eaa0b1ddc2aa5d1312f3f.jpg

8 hours ago, austingirl said:

So sweet. What's her name?

She had been at the shelter since Christmas morning.  Someone found her in an abandoned chicken coup.  The shelter slapped her with Zoey, but she doesn't respond to it, so I think it may be up for a change.  They are still trying to decide. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:33 PM, austingirl said:

Got Rocket's x-rays today. In case y'all ever wondered what severe bilateral hip dysplasia in canines looks like, here you go. The top one is normal for comparison. You can see in the bottom left how there is no joint at all - the femur is "floating" and the hip socket is almost flat. It's slightly more concave on the right but still relatively flat. The heads of both femurs are also deformed, although that's harder to tell if you don't usually look at x-rays of dog femurs.

The good news is that he really doesn't seem like he knows anything is wrong. Still just being a giant puppy.

3d325ff9962eaa0b1ddc2aa5d1312f3f.jpg

Wow, thank you for posting those. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I am always amazed at the resiliency of dogs to keep doing what they do best. Derp, love, and more derp. They really are awesome.

• Like 1

My 11 month old niece and her best friend. I got Diesel for my mother 6 years ago about a month after her dog had passed away suddenly. He's a German Shepherd and Australian Shepherd mix. She crawls all over him and he just lays there. When my brother brought her home from the hospital he would go lay next to her crib and if she started crying he'd go get my brother to come in there. Dogs are amazing in how they will instinctively protect people.

6009.jpeg

• Like 9

Yesterday morning our youngest boy had one of the puppies in his lap.  The pup started to whine a bit and Ladybird came over and was trying to get it from him.  She couldn't get her head into the right position though, so my wife just took the pup back to the whelping box.  It's really fascinating to see the instincts take over during this whole process.

Ladybird is eating so much now.  You can see her belly and how skinny she is after the birth.  When we first met her she was skinny, but now even more so.  She gets some fresh eggs every morning and is really eating a lot of her dog food.  She was rescued from a farm on the Iowa/Missouri border a little over a month ago.  I'm amazed at how trusting she is of people.  She did not have any interaction with people until the rescue got her.  I think having Sadie here helped to get her acclimated to living with our family.

8 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

Yesterday morning our youngest boy had one of the puppies in his lap.  The pup started to whine a bit and Ladybird came over and was trying to get it from him.  She couldn't get her head into the right position though, so my wife just took the pup back to the whelping box.  It's really fascinating to see the instincts take over during this whole process.

Ladybird is eating so much now.  You can see her belly and how skinny she is after the birth.  When we first met her she was skinny, but now even more so.  She gets some fresh eggs every morning and is really eating a lot of her dog food.  She was rescued from a farm on the Iowa/Missouri border a little over a month ago.  I'm amazed at how trusting she is of people.  She did not have any interaction with people until the rescue got her.  I think having Sadie here helped to get her acclimated to living with our family.

That area is notorious for puppy mills.  Glad she found a good home!

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That area is notorious for puppy mills.  Glad she found a good home!

Yeah.  The rescue that we have worked with got 3 out of a total of 30+ pyrs at that farm.  The story is that they started with one boy and one girl and they just kept on having litters.  Never got them fixed.  All they did was feed them.  The three that our rescue took included the mom of most of them on the farm.  Poor thing is likely never to be adopted.  She just doesn't trust people at all.  We met her when they first got her and were going to adopt her.  The guy from the rescue actually advised against it and wanted us to meet Ladybird.  The mom of all those puppies just kept having litter after litter with no recovery time.  Her nipples are black and hanging about 5" below her belly.  I'm fairly certain that she will be a permanent resident of the rescue.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, You don't know me said:

My dog growing up was a male cocker spaniel. We took in a mean ol cat that got knocked up right away. Cunt cat wouldn't have anything to do with her young besides feed them. My dog would pick up the kittens by the scruff and walk them around the house and lick them clean and keep them warm. It was funny as hell to watch and very cool.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

One of my co-workers has 3 GSD puppies for sale. Here is the white one , the other two are the typical brown and black mixture.

Both parents and Grand parents are CKC certified. 

82335379_10158107134188578_8617429160152793088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=ashC8S-KiegAX8cn8VB&_nc_ht=scontent.fftw1-1.fna&_nc_tp=1002&oh=d54a39b2c17f1ca223d3bd0ee353762d&oe=5EA099CF

82164547_10158107134278578_1995281586261

pretty sure you are mistaken sir, that is not GSD, that is 100% pure white floof.