Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Extremely sad news. I had to take Zion back today. Our household isn’t the right fit. This has been one of the toughest days ever. 

His socialization is not at a point that we are prepared for. Probably pretty stupid of me to think it was a good idea. 

His play with the puppy was too rough, he was barking at all of us off and on, and he grabbed my fil’s pants in his teeth twice this morning. 

But I reeeeaaalllyy liked him. 

hopefully the shelter can find a proper home for him and help him get a little bit better at socializing. 

I’m so bummed. 

Eli is back with the trainer this morning.  He's learning to walk on the treadmill.  My wife walks him nearly every day.  The treadmill is for the days where it's just brutally cold and windy or raining like crazy.  We're also signing him up for agility.  This dogs NEEDS a lot of activity.

I'm sorry to hear about Zion.  Dogs that were improperly socialized are difficult at best.  We kept Ruffas for over 10 years and his social issues severely hampered our wishes to socialize with friends in our home.  It got better over time but it was still difficult.  I'd love to meet the asshole that did whatever he did to that poor guy to make him like that.  Some things just can't be (fully) fixed.  Still, Ruffas was devoted to our family and I wouldn't trade our time with him for anything.  I still miss him every day.  He was my pal.

• Like 1

The pups are doing great.  3 of the 4 are well over 5 pounds now.  The "runt" is about 4, but not hurting for food at all.  Mom (Ladybird) has an infection in one her boobs.  Damn thing is the size of a grapefruit.  She's on antibiotics now. 

We're taking the pups out of the whelping box and letting them waddle around on a large comforter for a bit every night.  The first night we did it they played for about 20 minutes and then they all just crashed.  They are going to be such good dogs for the families that adopt them.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:27 PM, MissingInAction said:

What good does sending your dog off for training do? It comes back a different dog you had nothing to do with shaping.

The most important thing about training is building the bond of trust between dog and owner.

The dog learning your cues and you his builds a line of communication that will only grow.

Not hating just doesnt make sense to me.

When our dog was about 9 months old we went out of town for Spring Break. Instead of boarding her, we sent her off for training. I figured it was much better than her sitting around doing nothing while boarded, and the program that we did not only trains the dog, but they teach you how to work with the dog. After the initial training, there are weekly group sessions that you participate in with other dogs/owners. When you graduate to an advanced class, they do group outdoor training sessions, much of it off leash. All of it lasts about a year, but the emphasis is on you working with your dog rather than just sending it away. They give you a really solid baseline when you send her off though.

I've put a ton of work into our pooch and I can pretty much take her anywhere off leash and feel very comfortable. She is a fantastic dog. I don't think there is any way I could have gotten her to this level without sending her off for training.

Also, obligatory pic:

msZ6unowIBy_nShI7V1leMrHIJUIU7jTiQeP3kL3ATWWzE4JrZJ7mTPethzuejSsuKmXaZq-9lHb-jm9m6i1eS2thdZz7F8O0Nj9yVv5aTeyzyRMHtzObtOCXGmm8XWCiZe_zQVMAOeiUzZuYplWWDVMrEHRdRrlp8U5DwvKw8gmNVA4HQFJYJhQdGIWy84awRqA0c_hEMS5Wjt2mUBCfCU0GqV5dfONe_QZv9N82PpvFXaeat9hT1XKbRn47cPU-_TY0RDqCLLB-DtMhvGvtRkYDESNx-yjllHUcJhU8JdG8Yode6fDR8ezFpvwDhvr5Hn4avNkju2zBMFiusvl-CapylB8zCFcEMyaO9ZVk5G8Cws7D2ht_PkJXUXHyAwulHmK_oPY2gj81yg4S2C6F6ZrN2hZpbeyWfNcbFyHCs_hjT9YC1N0Noz-iQjgCsAVCeA9c7J2qsv2T-levaj51T0RkFJckb9xl5JdGMT8aLnvqhfi-8cNPn_Lfepw1MQjlO4g5jSXaiwHDcnVw3N2-560Bi1nJg3VxbUu2d0ZM9QxwQ4joHIsyvXCv5nfkviVNro4Vp-VOIu_MUv3kJDEwjZ612havm4jEgaU5S1qwOO9ikPFmdASTOylCiRQVUwwGgliYYocXE0kHAlHaD5_oeTJqjxPPTC-eQ_sgfdaJfcXe7Mhqrm3yeg=w1147-h1529-no

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Thank you. I was not aware of the full content of the training, and that sounds like a wonderful option if one can afford it.

At first it sounnded like a frustrated parent sending thier child to military school because they are shitty parents who shouldnt have had a child in the first place.

Yeah... it ain't cheap but I think it's been especially beneficial for our dog because she's an Aussie and extremely high energy. If it her energy wasn't being channeled properly and if she wasn't being mentally challenged with training, I think she would get bored and destructive.

Also, I can't imagine that a program where the owner isn't actively involved would be very effective long term. I think the dog would backslide pretty quickly if the behaviors weren't constantly being reinforced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Thank you. I was not aware of the full content of the training, and that sounds like a wonderful option if one can afford it.

At first it sounnded like a frustrated parent sending thier child to military school because they are shitty parents who shouldnt have had a child in the first place.

I had surgery on my right arm in January and handling an 80 lb bundle of energy with one arm is tough.  We also had a trip planned during the time frame of Eli's training and were going to board him anyway.  Giant Schnauzers are working dogs and highly intelligent and energetic working dogs at that.  Eli is out 5th of the breed so we were well aware what we were in for but he takes energy to another level and he was developing some behavioral issues that needed a professional to deal with and help us with.  While I do know the breed very well I don't pretend to be an expert on all things dog.

As for bonding, this dog is bonded to us and particularly my wife like glue.  Some of the issues that arose with this adolescent dog was that he was becoming too protective of her.  He needed socialization outside of us which being away from us for two weeks helped with immensely.  People tend to be fearful when they see 80 lbs of black muscular dog in front of them and we didn't want any of his behavior to feed those fears.  It's breed specific.  Now you want to talk serious training?  Look at what these guys do with the breed.  A perfect house pet who will put an attacker down in a heartbeat.  This training costs about $20k and it's not something I would ever need or want but it shows the capability of the breed.

Giant Schnauzer Protection Dog

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:27 PM, closetohumping said:

Just got a Goldendoodle.  Smart as a whip, but hard to train it seems

we’re on week 5 with our mini goldendoodle, chancho. he’s been great so far but sometimes i feel like we should be a little further along in the training. 

On 2/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Deej said:

My rule on puppies is even negative attention is attention. Dogs hate being ignored. Ignoring them is a powerful tool. Do something bad, get put in some sort of timeout and don't even look at them. 

correct. i think this is why chanchito seems to only listen to me. i couldn’t pay the kids to stop messing with him for even a minute bc they can’t help but pet him, pick him up or talk to him with baby talk. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, joe dirt said:

correct. i think this is why chanchito seems to only listen to me. i couldn’t pay the kids to stop messing with him for even a minute bc they can’t help but pet him, pick him up or talk to him with baby talk. 

This method has not ever not worked with my dogs. They hate the no attention thing, and will avoid it at any cost.

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Before you lose your minds, this is Jimmy.
Our daughter got him as a puppy, shortly after another dog put out his left eye. Last year, our daughter had a serious wreck with Jimmy in the car. Jimmy was thrown from the car and could not be found. Four months later a deputy found Jimmy and returned him to our daughter. He apparently had hip damage from the accident and now has to sit like this, pretty much like a person. The vet said he's not in any pain, and wouldn't recommend reconstructive surgery.

Please say hello to Jimmy...674585813200569c5a10993269fa483e.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tumblr_inline_nn0jzb60rt1s7ufdm_400.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1