Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Thoughts on pinch collars? Doggo practically walks around the neighborhood on his hind legs when we go on walks. He pulls like an ox constantly. Martingale collar so far does nothing except make it seem like he’s going to choke himself to death.

21040.jpg

works very well. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, austingirl said:

Yes, it worked wonders very quickly for Edgar. With Rocket we got this harness that has a leash hook on the front as well as the back, and it worked almost immediately - if they pull, it turns them around, and that stops pulling so quickly. He's around 100 lbs so this was a significant improvement for our walks.

Yep. Harness with a hook on the front works well. 

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Thoughts on pinch collars? Doggo practically walks around the neighborhood on his hind legs when we go on walks. He pulls like an ox constantly. Martingale collar so far does nothing except make it seem like he’s going to choke himself to death.

We use harnesses with the leash attachment on the front.  Dog still pulls, but they just end up turning themselves around. 

8 hours ago, futureman said:

21040.jpg

works very well. 

I had to use on our Vicky against my better judgement.  After a couple of years we are finally able to return to normal collar and she no longer pulls away.  Those collars are great for getting their behavior under control.  Vicky would lunge at any dog and she has even given that up.  Of course it helps that she was about 6 when this training started and now she is nearly 10 

My dog only pulls when he walks with the other dog. He gets too excited. 

So we got this and it works great. But we rigged it so leash connects on the back and not the front. It’s amazing. If he pulls, it just shuts down his legs and he stops pulling. Maybe because he’s not a big dog. I don’t know. 

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-easy-walk-dog-harness/dp/48923?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=PetSafe&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwztL2BRATEiwAvnALcv37cMx7K6wuyJMJ79pBoLpmGfecw3WFg8qaqVzBEt34PvPjnvscRxoCEeEQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:32 PM, kmac30 said:

84739f2c847b6617b93b837b3683721a.jpg
1b6290d62c5a4efe94218bb69339c00d.jpg
8b9911737782a64f70f36fee26bbf428.jpg
Picked up this little girl on Friday evening. 7 weeks old. She has definitely made an impression on our other dog (just turned 1). They have become fast friends. Kids/wife named her Muffin. Daughter (no pics, 6) said “her nickname can be muff.” I said no. I will probably call her little dog, because she’s going to be a little dog.

Beautiful.,no other words necessary...

• Like 3

My poor boy Maximus. Finally got his crazy skin allergies under control with apoquel (@ $100 per month) and now he has a bad bacterial infection in his ears so he’s taking prednisone for the inflammation and gets an antibiotic flush twice a day. 

he also doesn’t seem to be thrilled with sharing his affection time with the new kitten. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

My poor boy Maximus. Finally got his crazy skin allergies under control with apoquel (@ $100 per month) and now he has a bad bacterial infection in his ears so he’s taking prednisone for the inflammation and gets an antibiotic flush twice a day. 

he also doesn’t seem to be thrilled with sharing his affection time with the new kitten. 

Hope he feels better.  We lost a cat of 11 years when we got the dog I posted below.  Cat was outdoors.  Dog was a puppy.  Cat put the dog in her place.  Cat rode the dog across the yard.  After that, cat went to live the family with whom I assume he shared time.  He came back a month later.  I fed him.  Petted him.  I never saw him again.  He was like, "Lola . . . out."

On 6/2/2020 at 10:05 PM, Nicole44 said:

My dog Little Bitty is awesome! 15 years old (think about that)!
Cairn Terrier I found under my car as a puppy when I lived in Houston. Thanks@Shooter12 for the assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0756.jpg

that’s great.  mine is 9 and has lost a half-step but is still faster than most dogs at the park.  hope he hangs on to 15. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I have been trying for past 2 yrs to get our dogs allergies under control. Apoquel helped but really what worked best was water and vinegar mix that I sprayed him down 2 a week. 

On 6/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Ugh, I'm sorry. My parents have pugs and they always have terrible allergies. In addition to meds they eat some super expensive all-natural food that helps a ton - I can find out the exact one if you want. Dad used to drive to Galveston every few weeks (from Groves) to buy it since they couldn't get it shipped there and because he's obsessed with his dogs, as any good dog owner is.

We tried many foods, corn free, wheat free, nothing worked. Tried topical stuff, nothing worked. Steroid shots worked for short term, but the apoquel worked great from day one. We are back to a decent kibble so the cost of the apoquel is somewhat mitigated by dialing back to the less expensive food. It just sucks for him that as soon as that inflammation goes away he gets a bad ear infection. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, austingirl said:

Ordered this on canvas for our son’s 12th birthday and while I know there are potential better uses of money this day and age I honestly don’t give a fuck because he’s going to go out of his mind with happiness when he sees it and that’s all I want to see. Our Rocket and Edgar, brothers in arms.5a0ead7fac3de47ce114a7f7e42f8b5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get that?  I need it (with my dogs, of course).

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Neighbors who have the biggest German Shepard I’ve ever seen are getting a Burmese mountain dog this weekend. That’s a helluva lot of dog in one house.

Why do people who live in these hot as balls climates get dogs like that?  That poor dog will melt in the GA heat.  Berners are the best dogs ever, though.  But lots of health issues, cancer being the biggie.

Some people just like a lot of dog in the house, though.

https://imgur.com/a/HWM3O9T

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

So the two dogs play awesome. Problem is 60lbs vs 5lbs right now. Little dog got a tooth in the eye this morning. Tear on her cornea. Cone of shame. Drops for a couple weeks. No rough play is going to be tough.

I'm not a fan of little dogs but that little dog is adorable.

19 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Must have been a long week

Yeah....this whole quarantine thing has thrown his sleep off tremendously. Tank typically got 12-14 hours a night not including naps. Now that we’re all home...dudes tired...but we all appreciate this much time together.

Dumbass lab Maddox just chewed and ate a small blue nerf dart. Spit out the orange tip. He’s about 70Lbs, zero discomfort or vomiting so far. Happened about an hour ago. Hoping it will just pass but who knows. Will take to ER vet if get worse. 

Anyone have any experience ?  Buddy’s old lab would eat just about anything from solid rocks to RC cars and always seemed fine. Hoping for the same. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

A teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide for every ten pounds of dog to induce vomiting if its soon after ingestion. They'll spend the next half hour vomiting in the yard, but it works well to bring up foreign objects before they get past the stomach. 

• Like 2

A teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide for every ten pounds of dog to induce vomiting if its soon after ingestion. They'll spend the next half hour vomiting in the yard, but it works well to bring up foreign objects before they get past the stomach. 
As long as it's not something that will hurt the dog coming back up, I've done this as well for my avatar who used to like swallowing socks. Much easier than surgery if it won't pass.
  • Like 1