Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

This was 2.5 seconds before Donnie put a hole in Mango's lip for trying to steal the toy he had already thoroughly destroyed. The old man is recognizing that time is running out on him being the big dog in the house (even though he will still be kicking her ass when he is not only 10 years older but 20 pounds lighter). Looking back just 3 months...f11641f08e4189b2450106bed5004939.jpg4713c0a597dd7e3c50303899f4e6d9bb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing the news Sydney, I'm sorry for your loss. I remember when you adopted her, and based on the handful of times meeting her she was most definitely a sweetheart. Glad to see the pic with McNelly's famous koozie involved too 🙂. Somewhere in the cloud I have an old photo or two of her from a certain midtown bar patio during one of my trips to Houston- will see if I can find them. 

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Thanks for sharing the news Sydney, I'm sorry for your loss. I remember when you adopted her, and based on the handful of times meeting her she was most definitely a sweetheart. Glad to see the pic with McNelly's famous koozie involved too 🙂. Somewhere in the cloud I have an old photo or two of her from a certain midtown bar patio during one of my trips to Houston- will see if I can find them. 

Thanks man. Any pics you’d have would be appreciated, I’m collecting all I can find. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 2:06 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I remember the story. Tor had a dog already and you decided to take her. I don't know if Tor stopped posting here or if he was the inventor of the Silk Road and now in prison but he loved dogs and he did a real good thing for Mia in finding her such a good home. RIP, good girl. 

Remember the story as well. Found the following on Shaggy. Several pictures of Mia.

Edit: Post #2155

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/59177-Time-for-another-my-dog-is-awesome-thread/page44

Edited by sdm

thats probably the biggest loss of the Shaggy site in my mind.   It was a great thread. clicking that link I saw a lot of great doggos that have crossed the rainbow bridge.

Cori was front and center of my mind on that link, JT's first questions about getting a dog in like 08, and then getting Cori who drove him nuts for a little while (and him coming to us for help) turning into the fierce friend that Cori turned into and finally into that inevitable day we had to say goodbye is a happy/tough read.

I am not going to post the pic but fuck zebra mussels. Loki has one thing to live for and it is the lake. I try to find spots that are sandy and wont hurt him but last night he got a killer cut on his front foot that freaked me out. Took him to the vet and they said to give him a break. Nothing to really do about it. He gets cuts here and there and we pause for a week or so but this shit is out of control. Zebra mussels can EABOD. 

52 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

That sucks. Maybe look into water boots? It sucks but it is better than dealing with damn cuts that might get infected. 

Ultra Paws Rugged Dog Boots, 4 Count, Red, Small

The wife bought some and he still hasn't forgiven her. He gets injured and doesnt show till the next day. He will not stop playing then he cant walk and we see his injury. This one was so bad. I cleaned it and wrapped it with neosporin but man it was bad. Vet basically said to stop taking him to the lake but that is his world. I am trying to figure out a device to drag thought the water that either moves or destroys those asshole mollusks. He cannot be denied.

He doesn’t like the boots? I had a dog in NYC and used to put boots on in the winter after big snow (rock salt would cause problems). He didn’t mind them after the first 5 minutes. I wish I could find my pics of him in Central Park after blizzard in 2005(or 6). Boots were awesome.

yeah, maybe put boots on near the water and praise him big and throw a toy to fetch back so he might get over having the boots. If he gets distracted by the boots or stops playing, take them off put him on a leash and take him away from the lake. He'll start figuring out boots mean lake play time. It might be the only way to get him over having to wear them. 

7 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

yeah, maybe put boots on near the water and praise him big and throw a toy to fetch back so he might get over having the boots. If he gets distracted by the boots or stops playing, take them off put him on a leash and take him away from the lake. He'll start figuring out boots mean lake play time. It might be the only way to get him over having to wear them. 

He just wont move at all. Wont chase the ball, wont sit, just stares at us while standing there. I will work on it again and see if I can get him to forget them. They are pretty much a necessity at this point so I have to figure something out.

so I’m not starting a thread for this and I figured this was the best place for it, the dog experts... my sister lives in highland hills just northwest of 2222/mopac.  this morning this dog came out of a creek bed and was just staring at her in her car.  anyone know what kind of dog this is?  something about it is creepy to me.  I don’t think it’s a coyote?

45FB7B04-891A-4CA8-9025-72D7402D6DD2.jpeg

Edited by futureman

On 4/22/2019 at 5:09 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

64f396175d7f5271cb7219a3aa32e087.jpgcbb9cdd546c01193632d44226d300cf0.jpgd6f3961cf02a5d393adc975984fc6a35.jpg

Here’s a few pics of her. The first one was about 4 hours before she began to crater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I originally posted these back in April 2019 when Lulu had an emergency surgery to remove a cantaloupe size growth on her spleen that ended up being benign. She recovered like a champ and has been awesome. Fast forward to February this year and we found a small growth on her liver that we thought was cancer.  We hesitantly decided to cut her open again and all went perfect.  Also a benign growth.  

She has had a slow developing mass on her heart that we have been monitoring for a few years, and in her last surgery in February they opened a tiny pericardial window to help drain fluid.  We took her in for her normal check up last week and bloodwork showed some mild anemia.  She got worse over the course of a week with labored breathing, lack of energy, etc.  We took her to Gulf Coast vet yesterday and they confirmed this evening that the heart mass is getting bigger, forcing fluid near her lungs and abdomen.  Not much we can do anymore except just wait it out, keep her comfortable and spoil the shit out of her.  Could be a matter of days a few months, but we will put her down if she shows any signs of suffering. I am absolutely gutted tonight.  We got her in London back in 2010, and are literally less than 2 months from moving back.  But I don't see her making the trip.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, futureman said:

so I’m not starting a thread for this and I figured this was the best place for it, the dog experts... my sister lives in highland hills just northwest of 2222/mopac.  this morning this dog came out of a creek bed and was just staring at her in her car.  anyone know what kind of dog this is?  something about it is creepy to me.  I don’t think it’s a coyote?

45FB7B04-891A-4CA8-9025-72D7402D6DD2.jpeg

Welp, if we needed more proof that the apocalypse is nigh, it's whatever the fuck this is.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I originally posted these back in April 2019 when Lulu had an emergency surgery to remove a cantaloupe size growth on her spleen that ended up being benign. She recovered like a champ and has been awesome. Fast forward to February this year and we found a small growth on her liver that we thought was cancer.  We hesitantly decided to cut her open again and all went perfect.  Also a benign growth.  

She has had a slow developing mass on her heart that we have been monitoring for a few years, and in her last surgery in February they opened a tiny pericardial window to help drain fluid.  We took her in for her normal check up last week and bloodwork showed some mild anemia.  She got worse over the course of a week with labored breathing, lack of energy, etc.  We took her to Gulf Coast vet yesterday and they confirmed this evening that the heart mass is getting bigger, forcing fluid near her lungs and abdomen.  Not much we can do anymore except just wait it out, keep her comfortable and spoil the shit out of her.  Could be a matter of days a few months, but we will put her down if she shows any signs of suffering. I am absolutely gutted tonight.  We got her in London back in 2010, and are literally less than 2 months from moving back.  But I don't see her making the trip.  

Damn. So sorry. Had a lab years ago who was the picture of health one day, and the next was just struggling to move more than ten feet at a time. Took him in to the vet and found he had a tumor growing around his heart.