Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

7 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Cozumel puppy update. We were diving in Xcalak and some asshole abandoned two babies at the dive shop while we were gone. My friends decided to adopt the female. The male was so sad and scared, I would have been lower than Bob Stoops to leave him there alone.

Xcla and Tigger:

xcala-and-tigger1.jpg

xcala-and-tigger2.jpg

xcala-and-tigger3.jpg

Tigger-bag1.jpg

Elena-Bed1.jpg

I really needed this tonight. Good stuff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve posted about Shelby a lot over the past year. We said goodbye to her a month ago but we did get her a DNA test before she was gone. We rescued her as a puppy so never knew her true background, but we considered her a chocolate lab that likely had a little bit of something else. She was a little small for a lab with a slender face and a very soft coat.

Anyways, we got the DNA results back and I thought it was pretty interesting and glad we did it for our own knowledge.

6df9dbc45f985e5ef71da7441bd91304.jpg
29bb0efb783f05aa0282ff4990078ee5.jpg
c1ff84f2b7ee5bc362abb6cf34feb0b3.jpg
7090f2ec1a400e008437a39c00c7bbdf.jpg

There’s also a page for nearest relatives that shows their pictures and locations (if those users provided them). And you can get health information for an extra cost, which we skipped since she was already gone.

The company is Embark and it’s a mouth swab that you mail in. I paid $130 which includes shipping but I have a referral code that will save $30. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. Might make a good Christmas gift for a dog lover.

I've done DNA on all 3 of my dogs (one no longer with us) and highly recommend.  Super interesting.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve posted about Shelby a lot over the past year. We said goodbye to her a month ago but we did get her a DNA test before she was gone. We rescued her as a puppy so never knew her true background, but we considered her a chocolate lab that likely had a little bit of something else. She was a little small for a lab with a slender face and a very soft coat.

Anyways, we got the DNA results back and I thought it was pretty interesting and glad we did it for our own knowledge.

6df9dbc45f985e5ef71da7441bd91304.jpg
29bb0efb783f05aa0282ff4990078ee5.jpg
c1ff84f2b7ee5bc362abb6cf34feb0b3.jpg
7090f2ec1a400e008437a39c00c7bbdf.jpg

There’s also a page for nearest relatives that shows their pictures and locations (if those users provided them). And you can get health information for an extra cost, which we skipped since she was already gone.

The company is Embark and it’s a mouth swab that you mail in. I paid $130 which includes shipping but I have a referral code that will save $30. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. Might make a good Christmas gift for a dog lover.

It's really interesting for sure. We did this with Rocket and were shocked that the test showed he doesn't have lab in him, at least in any significant amount. I shared them back in the day and someone here goes "So that's what labs are made of. " This is Rocket and below are his results.

IMG_1215.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 8.21.22 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s been a couple weeks, but Penny met a copperhead in the back yard on 9/10. Right on the nose.
96df1f0b814a9114b437cd4b9874d109.jpg

Quick vet visit for some drugs then off to the beach the next day. First time on the beach.
70e870fe026088f8c204f848197c419a.jpg

Also took the new one. She didn’t get in the water as much as I expected, but she loved digging in the sand.
466466ba4e511e2b1686ec7f9daa24ab.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Dogs are pretty resilient to snake bites, as long as they get them in a fleshy part, like the face. Vet told me if they get bit on the legs, it's a lot more deadly. Had a lab that killed a cottonmouth once, but not before it got him seven times on the face. He ended up with lots of scarring and his face looked like a balloon for several days, but he was fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Neighbor's dogs got bit a few weeks ago. One got it in the face and his head got to the size of a basketball.  Other got bit in the tail and his tail looked like a snake that swallowed a softball. Luckily it happened just as they came back from vacation and they were able to rush them to the vet. 

I had a lab get bit in the foot 5 years ago. Foot swelled up huge. I didn’t know anything about dogs and snake bites, so I went to emergency vet (10 pm). $600 later I left with tramadol. They were wanting to run all sorts of tests even though we were 99% sure it was a copperhead.

I learned emergency vets have a checklist they have to run through. You can deny, but they don’t like it. When I left they made it sound like there’s was a large chance the dog might die. There wasn’t.

Same lab got bit in the face a month later and we knew what to do. (Also killed the snake on that one).

This last one was odd because there was a lot of swelling in the extra skin down her front neck. She either got bit twice or everything settled there from her nose.

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

I had a lab get bit in the foot 5 years ago. Foot swelled up huge. I didn’t know anything about dogs and snake bites, so I went to emergency vet (10 pm). $600 later I left with tramadol. They were wanting to run all sorts of tests even though we were 99% sure it was a copperhead.

I learned emergency vets have a checklist they have to run through. You can deny, but they don’t like it. When I left they made it sound like there’s was a large chance the dog might die. There wasn’t.

Same lab got bit in the face a month later and we knew what to do. (Also killed the snake on that one).

This last one was odd because there was a lot of swelling in the extra skin down her front neck. She either got bit twice or everything settled there from her nose.

Yeah, had a dog get popped in the lip by a copperhead in the woodpile last summer. Took her to the vet and they gave her benadryl and some steroid pills. She seemed to heal up at the same pace she would have if she hadn't gone to the vet. 

45 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

My labs growing up would get bit by copperheads all the time. They'd swell up but end up fine.  Neighbors golden was killed by a moccasin though. I think he took several bites to the head and neck.

Reading the last line of your post then immediately looking over at your avatar resulted in a very disturbing moment for me.

10 hours ago, Paco said:

I thought the house was falling down, but no, Hank just wanted a gecko.f4011b4171cb2fa81829ea2e530030e1.jpg

*Anole I believe (if you live in Texas that is). Geckos are mostly nocturnal and have a thicker tail. The green anoles are not a protected species in Texas, but unfortunately are beginning to be forced out by the brown anoles. It's a good sign in your landscape if you have a green anole so hopefully Hank can make a new friend!

so the video I posted was 4 years old, it came up on my youtube recommended.... I guess it came up on a shitload of peoples recommended as well because it caused the video holder to remove the video from youtube.  Not really sure why- it was funny.

it showed a guy proudly showing the brand new 6ft fence he built to keep his German Shepard in the yard, he's scanning the fence and you see that at the back of the yard there is a slight incline of about 1.5 feet (fence followed the rise) ...   just as he shows the back of the fenceline, the GSH runs right to the hill and uses it to jump over the fence in one graceful jump....

Cameraman literally just says DAMMIT  and video ends.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

so the video I posted was 4 years old, it came up on my youtube recommended.... I guess it came up on a shitload of peoples recommended as well because it caused the video holder to remove the video from youtube.  Not really sure why- it was funny.

it showed a guy proudly showing the brand new 6ft fence he built to keep his German Shepard in the yard, he's scanning the fence and you see that at the back of the yard there is a slight incline of about 1.5 feet (fence followed the rise) ...   just as he shows the back of the fenceline, the GSH runs right to the hill and uses it to jump over the fence in one graceful jump....

Cameraman literally just says DAMMIT  and video ends.

Yeah, oldie but a goodie. 

another youtube recomendation.... although this could technically go into the Bevoette and Jade thread,  most of you will understand why I posted it here once you get to the actual dogwash part where the owners sister steps in...

The channel is Life with Malamutes.... I watch occasionally, this big fluffy dude has a condition that requires a bath every week, and he pouts over and over again when told its bath time. And at 130#... he kinda dictates what he wants to do.