Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Chloe (white one), her first actual snow experience.... lots of zoomies by her.   

50820870903_202f095f7f_z.jpg

50821618646_65e303f9ef_z.jpg

Sadie, (black one) has had about 4 or 5 snow experiences... as usual, she was unimpressed....

50821716027_685428385b_z.jpg

Not sure if this video will actually load or if its just gonna be the first frame... apologies if it doesnt load....

50820878428_9c001fb886_w.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Samson has been getting up a few times a night with the shits for three nights. Can I just do the chicken and rice diet and see if he improves or is it time to go to the vet? He seems otherwise normal.

Yeah I'd get him checked out. They can ID what's going on pretty quickly with a stool sample, and if it's something like giardia you'll want him on meds asap because it can take a while to knock out.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's kinda funny how your dogs react to snow as a novelty and mine see it as this nuisance that gets in the way of where they want to shit and makes their paws cold for 3 months a year.

I don't know, my Minnesota lab's favorite thing in life is attacking airborne snow balls, though he's never really figured out where they go though when he obliterates them.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I don't know, my Minnesota lab's favorite thing in life is attacking airborne snow balls, though he's never really figured out where they go though when he obliterates them.

Realistically it's probably breed related.  Labs are going to be a lot heartier to the cold than a dachsund/chihauhua with a hairless belly, and a short haired terrier mutt.

Samson has been getting up a few times a night with the shits for three nights. Can I just do the chicken and rice diet and see if he improves or is it time to go to the vet? He seems otherwise normal.
Canned pumpkin will help stop the shits. A big spoon with each meal. Make sure it is just pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix.

Chicken and rice should help, too.
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:10 PM, Buzzrock said:

He did better last night and I gave him some boiled chicken and rice. Poops are looking better already. If tomorrow reverts I’ll take him to the vet.

His new girlfriend came a courting today from the hobby farm behind us:

31f9a459d5407e3478eb3dbe6a87d47a.jpg

That's the whole damned problem...wimmenz causing stress.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Good Lord, those pictures of Buddy are making my heart smile.  Thanks for sharing those.  And [mention=90]Buzzrock[/mention]  Hope the hound gets better.  

Thanks, he’s back to shitting like a champ. A short fast and then chicken and rice did the trick.

Someone keeps moving his sunny spot though.

2e08e03ce2caf338ec84dd7b2a187ae2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, Nuge said:

Labs...
Just gave this one a bath two days ago.fe2f0b000c33edb1a226c15489aa728e.jpg36b868082f775a65674300106f17d6c4.jpg

That looks like my Jack, although Jack is skinnier and has white toes.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:49 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, the German Shepherd we gave our daughter got killed..by her bastard ex-husband two days before Christmas.
RIP buddy, you'll be missed.

The last picture taken of him that day with my grandson.1b08f7d1cd9b3a9779e3724c99dd7c2b.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mother fucker. We had a German Shepard as a kid. Very protective of me and my sisters. Homer would follow us to the bus stop. He knew he wasn't supposed to, so he would hang back a ways, as if we couldn't see him. In the afternoon, he would be there waiting for us. When he would see us, he would haul ass back to the house. I never figured out if he waited there all day or not. I wouldn't have been surprised.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:08 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Realistically it's probably breed related.  Labs are going to be a lot heartier to the cold than a dachsund/chihauhua with a hairless belly, and a short haired terrier mutt.

Yep, that is exactly what we have. Jack the black lab mutt loves the snow. Bon Bon the short haired terrier mutt hates it.

A couple of days ago, i was walking Jack and Bon Bon. My daughter was riding her bike a little way ahead of me. A neighbor's dog got out of the yard and came chasing after her. I let Jack and Bon Bon's leashes go, and they stopped that bullshit with a quickness. Sent the neighbor dog yapping back toward his house with his tail between his legs.

To his credit, once everything was calmed down, the neighbor did come out and apologize. I was pretty fucking pissed-- my daughter rides her bike down that road all the time, often by herself or with a friend that lives near us.

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Tank.

Still ticking.

Turned 12 in November. Had pneumonia a month before...dude won’t stop. Parvo tried...jumping out of a moving car tried...eating a whole bottle of pain meds tried...Doctor said we chose the right name.

He’s a good boy. Just wants to be here to see us win another MNC.

dc5e9af722da7178b36aeb4280e455e8.jpg

Tank looks awesome and 12 years is a hell of a run for a bully. Glad he recovered well from the pneumonia.  It’s always a challenge with the breed. Had to deal with it 3 times with mine.

Finally lost her at over 10.5 years last September  and miss her every day. But tomorrow I have a zoom call with a reputable UK breeder that has 4 new female bullies born just before Christmas.  It sucks that I can’t see the pups in person due to the lockdown in the UK right now, but if things go well we will pull the trigger and have one in a few weeks.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Tank looks awesome and 12 years is a hell of a run for a bully. Glad he recovered well from the pneumonia.  It’s always a challenge with the breed. Had to deal with it 3 times with mine.

Finally lost her at over 10.5 years last September  and miss her every day. But tomorrow I have a zoom call with a reputable UK breeder that has 4 new female bullies born just before Christmas.  It sucks that I can’t see the pups in person due to the lockdown in the UK right now, but if things go well we will pull the trigger and have one in a few weeks.

Appreciate the kind words. Sorry about your loss and I hope you find another Bully. Sounds like possibly soon!

We lost his brother last year. This guy is the best dog we’ve ever had and we’ve had some great ones. Such a fun and happy breed. Kids, dogs, anything around him/them and they just chill and go with the flow. I’ve stepped on his paw a few times over the years and he doesn’t flinch...beast mode.

Anyone have any tips for a dog that's afraid of and aggressive towards small kids?

Frank has now responded aggressively (aggressive barking/snarling/nipping) to two young kids (8 and 4).  Didn't do any physical damage or even cause pain, but he scared them, and the kids were being completely appropriate towards him.  He has zero issue with people over 10 or so, other than just a general skepticism/or skittishness.  We're trying to have kids and my niece and nephew are under 6, so I'm trying to get this corrected ASAP.  Even if he isn't really capable of hurting someone, it's not acceptable behavior.  We're going to muzzle him for now if he's ever around kids under 10, or just try to avoid placing him in those scenarios.  But I'd rather correct the behavior than just lock him up if possible.

He was at an Amish farm before we rescued him, and I suspect he was harassed by some little Amish kid as an infant puppy.

26 minutes ago, futureman said:

keep him the hell away from small kids.  my dog hates kids.  they’re unpredictable. 

That's the short term plan, but I'd have to think there's a way to get him over it.  If not, we'll just have to do that.

If we have kids and he can't get used to those kids, we'd have to find a different home for him and I'd rather correct the behavior in advance of that day rather than have to go through it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Anyone have any tips for a dog that's afraid of and aggressive towards small kids?

Frank has now responded aggressively (aggressive barking/snarling/nipping) to two young kids (8 and 4).  Didn't do any physical damage or even cause pain, but he scared them, and the kids were being completely appropriate towards him.  He has zero issue with people over 10 or so, other than just a general skepticism/or skittishness.  We're trying to have kids and my niece and nephew are under 6, so I'm trying to get this corrected ASAP.  Even if he isn't really capable of hurting someone, it's not acceptable behavior.  We're going to muzzle him for now if he's ever around kids under 10, or just try to avoid placing him in those scenarios.  But I'd rather correct the behavior than just lock him up if possible.

He was at an Amish farm before we rescued him, and I suspect he was harassed by some little Amish kid as an infant puppy.

You can look into a board and train but to be honest it is tough to get aggressiveness out.

You can look into a board and train but to be honest it is tough to get aggressiveness out.

It’s frustrating because he isn’t generally aggressive, just to little kids. I guess if he’s introduced to an infant, and learns their smell, he’ll be inclined to treat them with protection like he does my wife and I.