Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

at the height of the deep freeze, 50+ hours without power... Chloe decided she was done sleeping on the covers... 4am in the morning and she burrowed as close to me as she could get managed to scratch the ever living shit out of my arm...   she gave no fucks warmth was her only concern....   will post pics when I Can get my hosting site to work again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Paco hounds.

But there is no way in hell I’d risk sleeping with the business end of that dog pointed directly at my face.
It's definitely a dangerous proposition. Fuckers cut huge human sounding farts, especially Zoe. She's the gassiest dog I've ever known.

this was taken wed morning, just before the pipe broke ... no apologies for the messy room... 2 full days without power, under 50 in the house. and I had grabbed all the fleece blankets in the house, so its a bit of a jumble there..

white floof is Chloe... burrowing in the blankets and next to me....  Sadie is the black one... she was cold as well, but curled up to be warm...

50964336157_858bb0ce4c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7

I want to post a heads up for those of you that take your dogs to Lake Travis. This issue may be limited to our specific area, but we have noticed a semi consistent illness occurring in multiple dogs after swimming. A few weeks ago Loki went swimming like always in essentially the main basin of the lake. Around an hour later he started shaking, having trouble standing and rapidly progressed to being unable to stand and drooling heavily. We took him to the emergency vet, they gave fluids and ran bloodwork. They had no idea what was wrong and around 6hrs later he was fine and came home with zero issues since. 

Fast forward to yesterday, we get an email from the neighborhood with word of several dogs having odd neurological issues. One died that we know of and all of them seemingly swam in the same location. I looked around there and I don't see any signs of surface algae or anything odd in the area. It is exposed to serious water movement and not a stagnant backwater.

This could all be an odd coincidence, a localized issue to us or something affecting all of Lake Travis. Just be careful with your animals. It is way too odd of a deal for me to risk letting him swim again until I know what is going on. We have contacted LCRA and I will post an update if we figure out anything else.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 5

Someone in my hood spoke to LCRA this morning. So far we have confirmed 5 dogs all with generally the same symptoms. One died, the rest recovered. 3 of the dog owners were told by their vets it was some sort of neurotoxin. 

I spoke with Lisa Benton at LCRA Water Quality this morning.  She is very concerned and surprised that this happened this time of year.  She wants to make sure that all dog owners are aware of this and to not let your dogs drink the water or swim in Lake Travis.  Please share this information broadly.  From what she told me, she will be retrieving samples for lab testing.  If your dog became ill after swimming in Lake Travis, please let me know the area they were swimming in so they can be sure to sample that area,

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Someone in my hood spoke to LCRA this morning. So far we have confirmed 5 dogs all with generally the same symptoms. One died, the rest recovered. 3 of the dog owners were told by their vets it was some sort of neurotoxin. 

LCRA came out and grabbed samples all around the park waterfront today. We are up to 7 dogs and 2 dead i think. The last dog that passed allegedly from the same symptoms was pure hearsay and not connected to our area. They are about 1/2 mile down lake from us allegedly. I don't know the owner to confirm but it sure sounded legit. FML. It sounds like the local vets are trying to reach out to each other to see what is going on. This is out of control. Loki just became a walking on land dog much to his displeasure.  Better alive than risk the alternative.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Fuck.  He rebounded well after the Cerenia injection and was doing pretty well yesterday, but my wife just called and he's drooling excessively and shivering.  And won't really move.  She's taking him back now.  Fuck.

Oh no - keep us updated. Sending all the good vibes to Crosby.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Fuck.  He rebounded well after the Cerenia injection and was doing pretty well yesterday, but my wife just called and he's drooling excessively and shivering.  And won't really move.  She's taking him back now.  Fuck.

Rocky and Bella sending good thoughts to all of you.  Come on Crosby.

• Hook 'Em 2

Crosby has been a mainstay on this thread for a long time, and I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to witness his many knuckleheaded adventures. Especially those on the high seas.

Godspeed Crosby, and thank you bruin for giving him an awesome life and for sharing it with us.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ugh.  He's a mess.  Not moving.  Not eating.  Just made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to say goodbye in our home.   I'm shattered.  

Literally crying. Lots of love to you and yours, buddy. Dogs are amazing creatures, and that’s why they break our hearts like this. Tell him to look up Kia for a play date after he crosses the  bridge. ❤️

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Ugh.  He's a mess.  Not moving.  Not eating.  Just made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to say goodbye in our home.   I'm shattered.  

So tough reading this. My day with Murphy wasn't long ago and I still relive the night before. Give him every bit of love and happiness you can. I'll be thinking about y'all. Hang in there SB. Hook 'Em Crosby 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I hate this for you. Hang in there, they give us everything and expect nothing. You gave everything and have to accept the pain. Give em hell Crosby.

• Hook 'Em 3

Bad news. Word from an inside source that I hope is wrong, no algae issues. Likely LCRA about to say that and go silent. I am worried this is someone pouring antifreeze or something else along the area all these dogs played at. 

I hate to go all q on this but fuck it smells fishy. Several outspoken dog haters? Check. Random illness catching up to 9 dogs in a certain area all on the weekend? Check. Allegedly nothing found by lcra? Check.