Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate the kind words. I hope he keeps fighting and knows he's way too loved to leave us just yet  

So sorry.  But I say this with kindness- don't make him fight too hard.  Do the right thing for him, not for you.  The hole in my heart is still a huge gaping wound, but I have never regretted for a second deciding it was time to let Crosby rest.  

Fuck, I hate this for you.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

But I say this with kindness- don't make him fight too hard.  Do the right thing for him, not for you.  

This right here. You'll feel worse letting him suffer. The end result is the same.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So sorry.  But I say this with kindness- don't make him fight too hard.  Do the right thing for him, not for you.  The hole in my heart is still a huge gaping wound, but I have never regretted for a second deciding it was time to let Crosby rest.  

Fuck, I hate this for you.  

Thank you, brother. My wife and I decided that if he's not gonna have a quality of life anymore, we'll let him sleep eternally. I know some people can be selfish and keep their pet because they can't let go, and believe me part of my brain is saying that, but the rational part is telling me he would deserve better than to just lay there and starve himself to death. It's a hard decision we have to make, but I promise you and everyone else that as much as it hurts, I absolutely will not allow him to suffer. He's the goodest good boy you could ever have known. I just hope he knows how much he's loved and when I say goodbye it won't be forever, we'll reunite on the other side of the universe. My love for him simply cannot be put into words. 

When God created perfection, he was his muse. 

Sorry for the long post. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This is great advice. Do the right thing for him, not me. Those are words I'll hold onto if he doesn't pull through. 

I've had to do this almost too many times to count. It's rough. Just remember it's the final gift you can give then. Another will come along. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deej said:

I've had to do this almost too many times to count. It's rough. Just remember it's the final gift you can give then. Another will come along. 

We have 4 others, but he was the first and holds a special place in my heart. I had him before I married my wife, so it was just he and I for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just hope he knows how much he's loved and when I say goodbye it won't be forever, we'll reunite on the other side of the universe. My love for him simply cannot be put into words. 

When God created perfection, he was his muse. 

Sorry for the long post. 

He knows.  For sure.  And when God created dogs, he created perfection.  We don’t deserve them.  They are better than we will ever hope to be.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

He knows.  For sure.  And when God created dogs, he created perfection.  We don’t deserve them.  They are better than we will ever hope to be.

You are 100% correct. We absolutely do not deserve them. They're too good to us, and we as humans take advantage of that. They're the perfect creation, as you said  

• Hook 'Em 1

The mutt is obsessed with pinecones lately. On his walks he will pick one up and carry it the whole way as proud as he can be of it. Tonight he found one he had stashed and was determined to get in the house with it. It’s about time for a bath and haircut.

E4ED9C05-CB66-4755-92D7-3BF2C06ED249.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, Brew said:

The mutt is obsessed with pinecones lately. On his walks he will pick one up and carry it the whole way as proud as he can be of it. Tonight he found one he had stashed and was determined to get in the house with it. It’s about time for a bath and haircut.

E4ED9C05-CB66-4755-92D7-3BF2C06ED249.jpeg

6D3188C9-3BE5-4DA3-AE23-AE8E1782C219.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

They are one of a handful of the best of nature’s arsenal of “F Around and Find Out” animals that will wreck your day if you bother them. I think they are cool to see, from a distance.
They're not going to chase you, they just want to be left alone.

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sitting outside, getting drunk in the dark, and reached down to pet the dog rubbing against my leg, only to realize the dogs were inside...

possum GIF by GoPop

Though they are not attractive I think it’s cool that they are the only indigenous marsupials in North America. 😁

Maybe it's just the pic, but for a small guy Prince seems mellow.

My Mom's little bug-eyed thing is a nervous wreck ALL.THE.TIME.  She has purchased a shitload of clothes for the damn dog ("she's cold!"  ...No, mom - she's a nervous little Chihuahua type dog.  They vibrate ALL.THE.TIME.

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My Mom's little bug-eyed thing is a nervous wreck ALL.THE.TIME.  She has purchased a shitload of clothes for the damn dog ("she's cold!"  ...No, mom - she's a nervous little Chihuahua type dog.  They vibrate ALL.THE.TIME.

Hopefully his name is Radical Larry

more than a little worried about this little one.

51163396982_1d461c4f44_w.jpg

Chloe's 2.5.  In Nov she weighed 43Lbs. very normal proportions.  In the last 3 weeks  she's had loose liquid stools and seems skinnier. 

very normal appedite though. and nothing new- shes had the same food since she was a pupper.

so I took her to the vet yesterday

she now weighs 32 lbs!

shes lost 25% of her body weight in 6 months!  

They drew blood and fecal samples... but no news yet.  Vet was trying to make this seem a little normal, but a healthy 2.5 year old dog shouldnt be losing that much weight that quick. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Get her dog one of these outfits (#3 son’s Chico):

68911193-80E2-416D-98F0-EE9DFCE15279.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Got damn dust. Hang in there. It’s going to suck for a while, but know that you gave him the best life and he’ll be there for you at the end. 

I did, and thank you. I can admit I'm bawling while typing this. You always know it'll come but it's always so far away until it's not. Fuck I'm hurting. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I did, and thank you. I can admit I'm bawling while typing this. You always know it'll come but it's always so far away until it's not. Fuck I'm hurting. 

Losing your little buddy is so sad. Condolences because I know how bad it can hurt. 
At least Prince isn’t hurting anymore and is resting easy now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Losing your little buddy is so sad. Condolences because I know how bad it can hurt. 
At least Prince isn’t hurting anymore and is resting easy now.

Thank you, and you couldn't be more correct. Seeing him in pain broke me. I knew it was his time. I miss by buddy. He was my first dog so he's extra special to me. I'm sad he's left me, but so glad he's not suffering any longer. He'll always be my #1. Thank you guys for understanding, I appreciate it more than y'all know. Y'all really are the best. 

• Like 1

so my aussie just turned 10 but he still runs around quite a bit. athletic pup. so last week after a couple hours at zilker he limped around like a cripple for almost two days, holding up one of his back legs and not putting any weight on it. I was worried he had torn he dog ACL or something and would need surgery, but after a few days he was fine again. so this morning we were at zilker again for a couple hours and he’s chasing the ball and chasing squirrels and hauling ass all over the place but now he’s crippled again. to the point of falling down while trying to walk around the house. anyone had experience with that kind of thing? maybe it’s arthritis? he’s never really done it before and now it’s two weekends in a row. maybe it’s just normal aging but it doesn’t seem normal. it’s a little pathetic to witness. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I mentioned upthread that my vet put my old Damatian on some new type of glucosamine chew. She was pretty rickety moving around. It was painful watching her navigate the deck steps. Four weeks later, and she's taking running leaps off the deck.

Stuff is called Rejensa.

(Drug ad disclaimer: Don't take Rejensa if you are allergic to Rejensa.)

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

so my aussie just turned 10 but he still runs around quite a bit. athletic pup. so last week after a couple hours at zilker he limped around like a cripple for almost two days, holding up one of his back legs and not putting any weight on it. I was worried he had torn he dog ACL or something and would need surgery, but after a few days he was fine again. so this morning we were at zilker again for a couple hours and he’s chasing the ball and chasing squirrels and hauling ass all over the place but now he’s crippled again. to the point of falling down while trying to walk around the house. anyone had experience with that kind of thing? maybe it’s arthritis? he’s never really done it before and now it’s two weekends in a row. maybe it’s just normal aging but it doesn’t seem normal. it’s a little pathetic to witness. 

Is his hip popping out? Had a dog that would happen to and after manipulating the leg he'd be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Is his hip popping out? Had a dog that would happen to and after manipulating the leg he'd be fine. 

shit I hope not. I don’t feel qualified to to try and do a reduction if that’s the case. but I’ll feel around and see if anything seems out of place. 

Being told your 7 year old, otherwise healthy pup has about a 10-15% chance of living sucks.

Our Little Brown Dog Mix rescue pup almost died from hemorrhagic gastroenteritis Wednesday through yesterday.  We went out of town last week and returned Tuesday.  The stress from the car-ride to the kennel, whom we've used for 2 years, in addition to storms rolling through the area while we were gone; kept her in a state of high anxiety.  That can trigger this wicked condition, about which we had never heard. She seemed OK Tue night, but then threw up indoors and then had bloody stool and dry heave/ intense vomiting.  Took her to vet and it was touch and go for about 36 hours.  She took IV's and medication. We brought her home yesterday around 5PM.

This is in our backyard this afternoon.  Closest thing to a smile she has.  She's about 75% right now, but on the road to getting back to her ghost-chasing self...  For all of my bitching about vets through the years, I am so grateful for how ours handled it on this one.

raina-2.jpg

Edited by slorch

Just now, futureman said:

shit I hope not. I don’t feel qualified to to try and do a reduction if that’s the case. but I’ll feel around and see if anything seems out of place. 

Hopefully, it's just hurting from being old and overuse. Talk to you vet. Pain meds and glucosamine in the right dosages and combination can work well.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Being told your 7 year old, otherwise healthy pup has about a 10-15% chance of living sucks.

Our Little Brown Dog Mix rescue pup almost died from hemorrhagic gastroenteritis Wednesday through yesterday.  We went out of town last week and returned Tuesday.  The stress from the car-ride to the kennel, whom we've used for 2 years, in addition to storms rolling through the area while we were gone; kept her in a state of high anxiety.  She seemed OK Tue night, but then threw up indoors and then had bloody stool and dry heave/ intense vomiting.  Took her to vet and it was touch and go for about 36 hours.  She took IV's and medication. We brought her home yesterday around 5PM.

This is in our backyard this afternoon.  Closest thing to a smile she has.  She's about 75% right now, but on the road to getting back to her ghost-chasing self...  For all of my bitching about vets through the years, I am so grateful for how ours handled it on this one.

raina-2.jpg

She's definitely got some red heeler in her. 

Heelers are tough little dogs. 

Edited by Deej

6 hours ago, futureman said:

We have a lab who tore her doggy ACL twice in both of her legs. It's a costly surgery, but it's worth it. I'm not saying that's what happened to your pup, but of he's constantly holding it up you may want to get it checked out. It's very common apparently for it to happen to medium to larger dogs. We only found this out because, well, it happened twice to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We have a lab who tore her doggy ACL twice in both of her legs. It's a costly surgery, but it's worth it. I'm not saying that's what happened to your pup, but of he's constantly holding it up you may want to get it checked out. It's very common apparently for it to happen to medium to larger dogs. We only found this out because, well, it happened twice to us. 

that’s what I thought it might be but then after a couple days he was fine. and then this morning he was running around like a maniac. but again like last week now he is totally crippled and can barely get around the house. hopefully he’s fine tomorrow or the next day but if it keeps happening I’ll get him checked out. 

12 hours ago, futureman said:

that’s what I thought it might be but then after a couple days he was fine. and then this morning he was running around like a maniac. but again like last week now he is totally crippled and can barely get around the house. hopefully he’s fine tomorrow or the next day but if it keeps happening I’ll get him checked out. 

Good deal, amigo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

About a year ago my daughter was freaking out about how the Houston humane society was about to shut down adoptions and how they needed to get rid of all their dogs before pandemic restrictions would condemn the remainder to being stuck there for an indefinite period. She got frantic, teary-eyed, and because I was not in the position to take in a dog at the time, I had to run it by my ex, her relented after a day of reasoning from me and tearful screaming from my daughter. 

And so by the time I got that ironed out, we ended up with literally the last dog to be adopted out of the shelter before they quarantined. 

Meet Boo.

179468818_10161145355747942_864022972708 

She's since moved in with me. She came out of a hoarding situation where she appears to have been loved but neglected. That's why her ears are wonky -- the vet told us that one point she must have had fleas so bad, she shook the cartilage in her ear into jelly, and her lower back was patchy AF until recently because fleas had diseased her skin. She's still a bit tubby but getting better now that she can go in and out of the house where I live: no fences or car danger. 

She may be one of the ugliest dogs in Texas but I love her so much it's hard for me to leave her at the house unless it's necessary. She loves the car and does real well in there.

170272831_10161072815257942_384474363023

And then she can roam in places like this:

175730629_10161111102307942_524394300770

It's been a long, long while since I've had a dog and it sure is sweet. 

Hi Boo. Welcome to the Surly pooch family. There is one rule to being a member. Be nice to all dogs however you can talk all you want about that bitch Collie in College Station. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

however you can talk all you want about that bitch Collie in College Station.

I wholeheartedly disagree. that poor pup is an abused captive and deserves our sympathy. god only knows what she has endured from those corps incels. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. that poor pup is an abused captive and deserves our sympathy. god only knows what she has endured from those corps incels. 

I agree now that you put it that way. But how about if we the humans can feel that way, but the dogs can talk smack? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1