Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

If you're ever in the neighborhood again with the doggies, maybe Ms Layla would like the caddies stuck in the ground just west of town...  nice and flat there.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

more than a little worried about this little one.

51163396982_1d461c4f44_w.jpg

Chloe's 2.5.  In Nov she weighed 43Lbs. very normal proportions.  In the last 3 weeks  she's had loose liquid stools and seems skinnier. 

very normal appetite though. and nothing new- shes had the same food since she was a pupper.

so I took her to the vet yesterday

she now weighs 32 lbs!

shes lost 25% of her body weight in 6 months!  

They drew blood and fecal samples... but no news yet.  Vet was trying to make this seem a little normal, but a healthy 2.5 year old dog shouldnt be losing that much weight that quick. 

results were very concerning.  bloodwork shows enzymes consistent with kidney and/or pancreas issues.   

no answers are "good"

she may have gotten some sort of virus that attacked her organs  ( nothing active anymore)-  there could be some relief with meds and special food.

she may have been born with a birth defect that finally is showing itself  (kidney or pancreas or both)

or  the C word..... which is really uncommon in an under 3 year old.

ultrasound scheduled tomorrow.

• Like 7

On 5/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, futureman said:

so my aussie just turned 10 but he still runs around quite a bit. athletic pup. so last week after a couple hours at zilker he limped around like a cripple for almost two days, holding up one of his back legs and not putting any weight on it. I was worried he had torn he dog ACL or something and would need surgery, but after a few days he was fine again. so this morning we were at zilker again for a couple hours and he’s chasing the ball and chasing squirrels and hauling ass all over the place but now he’s crippled again. to the point of falling down while trying to walk around the house. anyone had experience with that kind of thing? maybe it’s arthritis? he’s never really done it before and now it’s two weekends in a row. maybe it’s just normal aging but it doesn’t seem normal. it’s a little pathetic to witness. 

My wife is fixating on Australian shepherds right now as we open our minds (and hearts) to a new dog.  Pros and cons?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My wife is fixating on Australian shepherds right now as we open our minds (and hearts) to a new dog.  Pros and cons?

Super smart and imminently trainable.  Ours never had an issue with accidents in the house or any bad habits and was just super eager to please.  Will be important to keep them active, running after stuff, etc.  Lola was a farm dog so she always helped with goats and chasing squirrels.  Only cons i would say is they can shed quite a bit, which transitioning from a short haired dog might be difficult.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I second what @hookemATL said. the shedding is the only thing that really bothers me. super high energy but still pretty calm and reasonable indoors. at least mine has been. very smart, always tuned in and waiting for instruction, very trainable. I know fuckall about training and people always ask me how I trained my dog so well. I just talked to him and he pretty much understood what I wanted from him. I have run into a couple spastic and shitty ones before but most of them that I’ve met are pretty damn good dogs. I know you appreciate the finer things so I trust you will do your homework on finding a good breeder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We were watching Supernatural last night & it was the ep. where Dean takes some potion & can speak to / understand animal speech.  Has an animal control / dog pound facility & in one scene there's like 10 dogs all barking @ once.

So naturally both Major & Scout start going off for a solid round of noise making.

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Thanks.  Crosby was the world's biggest shedder.  More than you could ever imagine.  It was overwhelming.  Not sure I want to go through that again.  But maybe.

I am about to put down a 13 year old aussie. My family has had a dozen over the past 35 years and he has lived the longest.

Pros - smart

Cons - stubborn as a fucking mule, sheds like a wookie, turned in a Dog Police Officer at age 5 (didn't want to play or have fun anymore, just police kids and other dogs)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

turned in a Dog Police Officer at age 5 (didn't want to play or have fun anymore, just police kids and other dogs)

heh. yeah...

I almost got mine a security guard outfit/shirt for halloween. but then remembered I don’t put costumes on dogs. 

Edited by futureman

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

Biscuit had a rough night. Woke up screaming several times, then spent the rest of the night in distress. This is the second episode of this that he's had in the last few months. I don't know how much longer he has. I doubt it's much.

Here he is eating cake for his 16th birthday last month.

cc77726ebfbd4ccabed3d73bdd8ab9cb.jpg

My Biscuit sends his doggo love

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

5893CDC5-A0CB-4140-B22F-930548E2F731.thumb.jpeg.2967be39975242e4e2f4677f000e275e.jpeg

Heading to the beach

At the end of May we're celebrating our anniversary in Galveston where we married and bringing our two canine kids .  It will be the first time traveling with them but they are so chill and ride easily in the crate.  Looking forward to seeing their reactions when we reach the beach.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, Sbbruin said:

Love our Aussies.  Have had three. Ditto what others have said.   The shedding is relentless, but so is the love. All have housetrained very quickly.  They are very intuitive, but can be stubborn.  They will guard their people and their property well.  

• Hook 'Em 1