Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

3 hours ago, In re UofA said:

May be getting a beagle later this year. Anyone have good/bad experiences? Two children. Wife likes small dogs.

They'll dig your yard up.  We had a beagle about 20 years ago and our backyard looked like a Louisiana highway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, In re UofA said:

May be getting a beagle later this year. Anyone have good/bad experiences? Two children. Wife likes small dogs.

We had one for 16 years. She dug a bit but it wasn't terrible. Do you like the sound of a baying hound dog? You'd better get used to it.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 8:31 PM, In re UofA said:

Had one for 13 1/2 years, great dog, needs lots of walks/exercise. Our's used to love to fetch a tennis ball, but be prepared for a sloppy spit-covered ball that wasn't too bouncy after a few retrievals. Be prepared for what sounds like a stuttering vacuum cleaner when it tries to smell everything on that walk. Our's tended to howl when he heard a siren, on TV or outside. The barks are close to howls. I don't know if it was a just a quirk of our's or what, but if he was sleeping while we were watching TV and if sad music played, he would have a mournful howl like something had died. It would takes us a few minutes to comfort him to calm him down. 

Oh, do not over feed, our's would eat everything he could, even if not hungry. If you do toss table food (loved pizza) at him, you can train him to wait, until you're done. Our's learn to wait and was happy to get just one or two bites.

csb, When he only a couple years old, the wife was having a bad day and decided to eat a bagel. Well, she wasn't careful and let her hand holding the bagel droop too low while sitting. He took his opportunity and snatched that bagel out of her hand, a clean swipe. She couldn't even be mad at him, because we all knew he was a food hog. 

My daughter still wants us to get another only to have a beagle named Bagel.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Daisy was interested in the Easter Eggs.  She was carrying what I thought was an empty egg.  It had a marshmallow in it.  :)

20180401_171454_zpss0qvjido.jpg

We had a Wire Fox Terrier that one Easter found a hard boiled Easter egg before the kids. He carried it around all morning gently in his mouth like it was his baby. You tried to get near it and he growled. Had never acted like that with food or anything. When he napped, he put his paws over it to protect it. He finally messed up and I was able to snatch it. He looked for it for days. It was hilarious.

Edited by skipperj

surprised Fu hasnt realized if she charges the fence fast enough and jumps into it full force, the critters at the top of the fence tend to fall off.  50/50 chance they fall in your lap.  Sadie figured out that move about 5 years ago and its her go-to move when the squirrels or possums hang out on the fence top

surprised Fu hasnt realized if she charges the fence fast enough and jumps into it full force, the critters at the top of the fence tend to fall off.  50/50 chance they fall in your lap.  Sadie figured out that move about 5 years ago and its her go-to move when the squirrels or possums hang out on the fence top

Not sure if she has figured it out. She has killed 3 and maimed 2 others. She could jump to that one in the picture no problem, except that bush is in the way.

15 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Just had my first dog ever die and I’m not even in the state. This is the fucking biggest kick in the fucking balls ever. Was at my Inlaw’s and they said my father Inlaw was holding the dog and it just died... 

that's awful, sorry Bogeywon, and Rest in Peace to your pup

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

CSB:  Maddox's brother was a surprise gift to a disabled veteran returning home after his discharge.  He spends his days now training and competing.  This is Finn - badass

Rbc6n2e.jpg

T21E7zA.jpg

sipE8bv.jpg

jjCYBpW.jpg

When Daisy was younger we trained 5 days a week for 4 years and she got some minor retriever titles and hunted a lot of birds.  Fun stuff.

Just had my first dog ever die and I’m not even in the state. This is the fucking biggest kick in the fucking balls ever. Was at my Inlaw’s and they said my father Inlaw was holding the dog and it just died... 

A friend of mines dog was run over while they were in China for work. They found out over the phone about it.

I had to put down my 12 year old Westie yesterday. One of the hardest things I've had to do. We have 2 small children and he'd nipped at each one of the kids and bitten me several times from accidentally waking him up. We discussed putting him down or re-homing him, but the vet talked us out of it several years ago when he first showed signs of aggression. Re-homing aggressive dogs is difficult, so we decided to be careful not to let the kids play with him,  and try to make it work. He never had another incident with the kids, but over the last 3 weeks he bit my wife's foot, and my hand bad enough to draw blood, both times unprovoked. Two nights ago he was laying in the recliner next to the recliner I was sitting in and when I got up the remote fell in front of his chair. As I bent to pick it up he bit my face. More precisely just above my left eye. Luckily I shut my eye in time and it only put a small cut on my eyelid and caused some bruising. Very scary and I knew that was it. He had to be put down. So sad. 

After reading that paragraph it sounds like a no brainer. Which is what my wife and I keep telling ourselves. What makes it so hard is he physically had another year or two in him. He still had good vision, hearing, could easily jump up on the furniture, still occasionally chased rabbits and birds and ran with ease. The vet thought he may have developed a tumor and that was causing discomfort, which caused the aggressive behavior. He said they could put him through all the tests and MRI's to see, but a dog his age wouldn't gain much in terms of comfort and prolonging his life for what it would all cost. (He told us this before he bit my face). After the last bite, we knew it was time and what we had to do. I partially blame myself for getting my face within striking distance and keep running the last 2 days through my mind. So painful. He gave us 10 great years and 2 years of gradually getting more and more aggressive. I dreaded having to put him down on bad terms once he started biting. I'm just glad he bit me and not one of my kids and that my eye injury wasn't serious.  RIP Ferris. Your infectious energy and playfulness will be sorely missed. 

1 hour ago, Stung said:

I had to put down my 12 year old Westie yesterday. One of the hardest things I've had to do. We have 2 small children and he'd nipped at each one of the kids and bitten me several times from accidentally waking him up. We discussed putting him down or re-homing him, but the vet talked us out of it several years ago when he first showed signs of aggression. Re-homing aggressive dogs is difficult, so we decided to be careful not to let the kids play with him,  and try to make it work. He never had another incident with the kids, but over the last 3 weeks he bit my wife's foot, and my hand bad enough to draw blood, both times unprovoked. Two nights ago he was laying in the recliner next to the recliner I was sitting in and when I got up the remote fell in front of his chair. As I bent to pick it up he bit my face. More precisely just above my left eye. Luckily I shut my eye in time and it only put a small cut on my eyelid and caused some bruising. Very scary and I knew that was it. He had to be put down. So sad. 

After reading that paragraph it sounds like a no brainer. Which is what my wife and I keep telling ourselves. What makes it so hard is he physically had another year or two in him. He still had good vision, hearing, could easily jump up on the furniture, still occasionally chased rabbits and birds and ran with ease. The vet thought he may have developed a tumor and that was causing discomfort, which caused the aggressive behavior. He said they could put him through all the tests and MRI's to see, but a dog his age wouldn't gain much in terms of comfort and prolonging his life for what it would all cost. (He told us this before he bit my face). After the last bite, we knew it was time and what we had to do. I partially blame myself for getting my face within striking distance and keep running the last 2 days through my mind. So painful. He gave us 10 great years and 2 years of gradually getting more and more aggressive. I dreaded having to put him down on bad terms once he started biting. I'm just glad he bit me and not one of my kids and that my eye injury wasn't serious.  RIP Ferris. Your infectious energy and playfulness will be sorely missed. 

Similar happened to my best friend's Westie.  When he got old, if you startled him he would bite.  And he was damn near deaf.  You had to make sure he saw you before you touched him, or you might lose a finger.  One of our friends got bit hard on the hand between his thumb and index finger.

Meet Boo. He's worthless and lazy, but this guy literally saved my life in my darkest hours. I'm not much of a dogumentarian, so most of these are a little old. I'll try to be better about posting pics.

e1o5CDA.jpg

duC7Fni.jpg

r71wbgE.jpg

Rf6Sdzi.jpg

Hk5TOsa.jpg

His personality is pretty much a combination of yawn + okay... Definitely is a "couch-dog" as someone put it up thread.

I apologize for running out of rep or whatever we call it these days. My strategy with this thread has usually been to wait a week before glimpsing and then allow the wave of serotonin to wash over me. It certainly helps with the blood pressure.

• Like 1