Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

On 11/13/2018 at 8:39 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, the time has come and I'm going to take the plunge and get another Golden Retriever.  Talk about sticker shock though, when we bought Rocky I know I didn't pay more than $500-$700 for him.   The cheapest I've seen so far is $1500.  wow.   Have found some interesting pups that I'm awaiting word on now.

If the breeder has done the proper due diligence on breeding, and gotten the parents and puppies OFA certified, that doesn't seem out of line.  That stuff is expensive for the breeder. 

You're likely to pay a lot more in vet bills eventually if you just get a random Golden for $500.

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Dogs have gotten absurdly expensive over the past few years.  

Shit, between purchase price + 2 surgeries + annual vet bills, I've easily spent 5 figures on Zeus, and that's before you even count how much food he goes through a month. 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If the breeder has done the proper due diligence on breeding, and gotten the parents and puppies OFA certified, that doesn't seem out of line.  That stuff is expensive for the breeder. 

You're likely to pay a lot more in vet bills eventually if you just get a random Golden for $500.

Shit, between purchase price + 2 surgeries + annual vet bills, I've easily spent 5 figures on Zeus, and that's before you even count how much food he goes through a month. 

We had really good luck with Rocky.   He had to have surgery for hip dysplasia but that's the only issue he had other than being "fixed".  Just regular vet appointments vaccines etc.  Pretty good for a 15 year old.

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I would guess you're well into 5 figures on the big guy.  Bruce eats almost $100 in kibble per month (he will only eat the salmon Blue Wilderness that costs $60 for a 24# bag).  In just 2 years with him, we are approaching $5k and that's just the purchase price, getting him fixed, annual vet appointments and food/treats.  

On 11/13/2018 at 8:39 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, the time has come and I'm going to take the plunge and get another Golden Retriever.  Talk about sticker shock though, when we bought Rocky I know I didn't pay more than $500-$700 for him.   The cheapest I've seen so far is $1500.  wow.   Have found some interesting pups that I'm awaiting word on now.

New boy has some mighty big paw prints to fill :)

I hesitate posting this as I am sure I will come off as a terrible dog owner, but if you've kept up with this thread recently you know that we had to put down our Golden, Colt, on Monday.  We are picking up our new puppy this coming Sunday.  It's way too soon as we are still adjusting to the loss of our last dog, but my wife is pregnant with our first child due in May and if we felt the quicker we got another puppy the more housebroken/trained it would be when the baby came.  We also have an Australian Shepherd that misses her brother and a puppy would be great for her.

I felt like such a shithead message breeders the day after losing our dog, and I really dread going to get this new dog on Sunday.  I am sure all of that will change once we get him though.

Mr-Green.jpg

Trying to keep the Longhorn name theme, does he look more like a Ricky or a Sam?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

I hesitate posting this as I am sure I will come off as a terrible dog owner, but if you've kept up with this thread recently you know that we had to put down our Golden, Colt, on Monday.  We are picking up our new puppy this coming Sunday.  It's way too soon as we are still adjusting to the loss of our last dog, but my wife is pregnant with our first child due in May and if we felt the quicker we got another puppy the more housebroken/trained it would be when the baby came.  We also have an Australian Shepherd that misses her brother and a puppy would be great for her.

I felt like such a shithead message breeders the day after losing our dog, and I really dread going to get this new dog on Sunday.  I am sure all of that will change once we get him though.

Mr-Green.jpg

Trying to keep the Longhorn name theme, does he look more like a Ricky or a Sam?

That's a Sam Brother.

Still trying to see why this would make you a shitty dog owner.

We got Rocky very shortly after our first (Shelby) passed. Different circumstances call for different courses of action.

Beautiful Golden there bro...

Damn that lady better message me back soon.  Found one today on Facebook (thanks for the guidance guys) today that looks a lot like Sam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Mr-Green.jpg

Having Bruce helped tremendously when we lost our Bernese/Pyrenees mix (my avatar) a year and a half ago.  You won't love Colt any less, but the new pup will help fill that hole that is empty in your heart.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

That's a Sam Brother.

16 hours ago, Player said:

I think he looks like a Lil’ Jordan.

Nah, that’s Sam all the way.

9 hours ago, Damor said:

He's white as a Ghost, looks like a Ship(ley) to me .

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Stormtrooper Sam FTW

Buncha racist assholes, imo.

• Like 1

Here’s Ranger at 6 months.  He’s a handfull now, but I’m putting in a lot of time and training with him.

F2-F1-F642-1303-45-C4-BF4-C-BE187-E0117-F9.jpg

A long time ago, I lived in a duplex in the m streets in Dallas and the guy opposite had a huge Doberman named Capone that looked like this. Capone would get into his Jeep by jumping over the swing gate in back. Between Capone and my stepbrother’s pitbull, both usually leashed to trees outside, nobody would approach the place. Joggers usually crossed the street rather than jog by on the sidewalk. Both were sweet dogs though. 

Meanwhile, this is what I deal with now

70753834df4b6f470a1ddb108de41894.jpg

• Like 1

AG

We had a similar situation this time last year. We had to put our lab mix down in November but the house just felt empty without her and our black lab seemed really down. We got a puppy that was born 2 days after we put Ladybird down. Some people thought we were crazy but Willie is what everyone in the household needed at the time and 1 year later him and our black lab are best friends.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Got him when he was a little pup , never thought much about his birth date or how old he was til 3 or 4 years into him being with me. I went back and looked at his vet records at the time to determine his age, give or take. As of yesterday Ski was either 15 or 16 years of age, he was my best friend, without question. Went just about everywhere with me. When I took a job offshore, he came along, 5 to 8 days out in the Gulf, no land in sight, it did not bother him, he was with me. Long road trips, etc. When he could not come, he'd wait patiently and greet me with his epic howl, sniff me around and then demand a feeding. He passed last night, I am thankful to have been there by his side as he took his last breaths, to see him off.

To anyone who might be on the fence about adopting a dog, but worry about the eventual death and suffering you might have to endure. Please adopt, the suffering is worth all the great memories.

R.I.P Ski

e5b7044f7bc0758e9963ee6e3019d83c.jpgcb317ddd44b1abfcf46ca4950c057cd4.jpg2ff29326939f282083603eb5a3ac2b4f.jpg

100% awesome dog.  Thanks for sharing your story. Our "friends" can be our greatest blessing.

After about $800 in tests my lil buddy Dobbs is probably staring down a $4k liver surgery. Luckily he is only a year old so it’s a no brainer but apparently his liver is borked. He has been shitting and puking for several days and at first we thought he was mad at the rescue we adopted. Stay strong my dude

#fuckchristmasbonus

476c51b0c14a1aa7597d99d4e3901fc1.jpg

88cca13b2530b558385c82117cb83fd4.jpg

c9a9efea04c179b00ac3f2f82c229d52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

After about $800 in tests my lil buddy Dobbs is probably staring down a $4k liver surgery. Luckily he is only a year old so it’s a no brainer but apparently his liver is borked. He has been shitting and puking for several days and at first we thought he was mad at the rescue we adopted. Stay strong my dude

#fuckchristmasbonus

Make it through and live a strong happy life! TeamDobbs

2 hours ago, Dewey said:
11 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

#fuckchristmasbonus

Read more  

Make it through and live a strong happy life! TeamDobbs

Yep, TeamDobbs!

16 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

#fuckchristmasbonus

What's the liver issue, if you don't mind me asking? I've been dealing with liver problems on my pup for 4 or 5 months, now. 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

What's the liver issue, if you don't mind me asking? I've been dealing with liver problems on my pup for 4 or 5 months, now. 

Low protein levels and he is shitting all the time and occasionally puking. He is having a good day today since I picked him up at lunch from his tests. We should know on Monday. 

40 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Shunt is what they think it is. 

Luckily, being a little dog, it's probably outside the liver. Prognosis should be good with placement of an ameroid constrictor. Good luck.  Mine has an internal shunt. Much more difficult.