Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

my aussie is 10 and has started vomiting a couple times a week, mostly overnight. anyone ever dealt with something like that? I took him to the vet after it had happened a few times and they didn’t seem concerned. but it’s continued to happen for about a month now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, futureman said:

my aussie is 10 and has started vomiting a couple times a week, mostly overnight. anyone ever dealt with something like that? I took him to the vet after it had happened a few times and they didn’t seem concerned. but it’s continued to happen for about a month now. 

If it's in the middle of the night and is just bile, it may be acid reflux, especially being an older dog. How often do you feed him and when? If he has an empty stomach when he goes to bed, you may try breaking his feeding down into smaller, more frequent meals.  

Just now, Deej said:

If it's in the middle of the night and is just bile, it may be acid reflux, especially being an older dog. How often do you feed him and when? If he has an empty stomach when he goes to bed, you may try breaking his feeding down into smaller, more frequent meals.  

his feeding schedule is inconsistent because he’s always been a grazer. sometimes he lets it sit most of the day before eating it. but he’s been like that his whole life and this has only been happening recently. I’ll probably just take him in again and see what they say. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

his feeding schedule is inconsistent because he’s always been a grazer. sometimes he lets it sit most of the day before eating it. but he’s been like that his whole life and this has only been happening recently. I’ll probably just take him in again and see what they say. 

Blue gets Prilosec twice a day to keep her stomach acid levels down, due to her surgically corrected liver shunt. Might ask the vet about that if it's a reflux issue. Obviously it's safe for dogs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Deej said:

Blue gets Prilosec twice a day to keep her stomach acid levels down, due to her surgically corrected liver shunt. Might ask the vet about that if it's a reflux issue. Obviously it's safe for dogs. 

Yeah, Crosby took a prilosec type pill to assist with his stomach handling like 5 pill sin the am and another 4 at night.  His liver cancer was inoperable (or at least we weren't going to put an 11.5 year old lab through that type of surgery with no guaranty of success and likely diminished quality of life), so we just pumped him full of drugs and he was happy as a clam for another 6 months.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Rini is going in for surgery this AM, so positive thoughts her way would be mich appreciated.

20210727_082042.jpg

Rini is out of surgery and doing well.  They got the whole mass, but it was attached to her vaginal wall, and so some of the vaginal wall had to be removed.  I quipped with the vet that at her age, that was something she didn't really need (she is almost 12).   He giggled a bit, and agreed.  So, all went well!  She is staying overnight.  I just took her donut to the vet, and she will come home tomorrow.  I bet they give her the good drugs like she got last time. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Man, i feel so fucking sad and handicapped and powerless. 

My in laws have 3 beagles: a chill one, a moody aggressive one, and an ultra-timid one prone to epileptic seizures. 

Theyre old, so the seizures are getting more frequent and violent. On top of that, when the seizures happen, the aggressive one starts attacking him. Why? Because hes confused? Whatever. 

This happened for last 2 days.  We hear a commotion, we run out, and we find the one bloody and convulsing.  Its fucking heart breaking.  Theyre outdoor dogs and theres no way here to keep them separated   Nobody is available to take the aggro one.  And anyway the epileptic one is probably at the end of life  

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Rini is out of surgery and doing well.  They got the whole mass, but it was attached to her vaginal wall, and so some of the vaginal wall had to be removed.  I quipped with the vet that at her age, that was something she didn't really need (she is almost 12).   He giggled a bit, and agreed.  So, all went well!  She is staying overnight.  I just took her donut to the vet, and she will come home tomorrow.  I bet they give her the good drugs like she got last time. 

So just an update.  Rini came home on Wednesday.  She has been sleeping a lot thanks to good drugs.  She wears her blue donut and just snores away.  It is really cute.  

The worst part is she cannot be active and should not jump.  Lifting a 75 lb dog who hates to be picked up to put he in the bed is not the easiest thing.  

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So just an update.  Rini came home on Wednesday.  She has been sleeping a lot thanks to good drugs.  She wears her blue donut and just snores away.  It is really cute.  

The worst part is she cannot be active and should not jump.  Lifting a 75 lb dog who hates to be picked up to put he in the bed is not the easiest thing.  

Glad you have her home with you! 🤘🏼❤️

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The things we do for love!  Keep up the good work.🙂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Man, i feel so fucking sad and handicapped and powerless. 

My in laws have 3 beagles: a chill one, a moody aggressive one, and an ultra-timid one prone to epileptic seizures. 

Theyre old, so the seizures are getting more frequent and violent. On top of that, when the seizures happen, the aggressive one starts attacking him. Why? Because hes confused? Whatever. 

This happened for last 2 days.  We hear a commotion, we run out, and we find the one bloody and convulsing.  Its fucking heart breaking.  Theyre outdoor dogs and theres no way here to keep them separated   Nobody is available to take the aggro one.  And anyway the epileptic one is probably at the end of life  

Get the dog with seizures to a vet for blood work and urine samples. That stuff is usually cheap and can tell you an awful lot about what’s going on.  It may very likely provide some insight to what is going on.  I may be something as simple as a cheap medication or it may tell you that this dog is suffering and the humane thing needs to happen.  It’s a tough call that I have had to make twice in the last 2 years. A 14 year old Vizsla with a brain tumor and my 13 year old hound with a ruptured spleen.  In both cases we had to do the selfless thing and it hurts to this day.  But neither of my boys suffered. They went out with hearts full of love. 

12 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

Get the dog with seizures to a vet for blood work and urine samples. That stuff is usually cheap and can tell you an awful lot about what’s going on.  It may very likely provide some insight to what is going on.  I may be something as simple as a cheap medication or it may tell you that this dog is suffering and the humane thing needs to happen.  It’s a tough call that I have had to make twice in the last 2 years. A 14 year old Vizsla with a brain tumor and my 13 year old hound with a ruptured spleen.  In both cases we had to do the selfless thing and it hurts to this day.  But neither of my boys suffered. They went out with hearts full of love. 

In this small town there's 2 vets and they're both kinda shitty/lazy but that's another story.  We went yesterday and they just issued some more antiseizure meds. 

So supposedly the aggro dog did not start getting aggro against the timid dog until a few years ago when the timid dog starting getting (occasional, mild) seizures.  Is it annoyance? confusion?  Maybe that little fucker needs a dog therapist instead of a vet.

Seizure dog is 10, and otherwise physical health is still not at EOL, so nobody here has the heart to stare down that other street.  Papa in law is gonna erect a new fence splitting up his yard so the dogs can be separated and I guess that's gonna be my weekend labor.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, futureman said:

Try famotidine shortly before bed. It’s probably acid. I had to do this with my hound for years. You will need to look up the dog dose. I cannot recall it off the top of my head. 

Edited by JoseMedinaDeJesus
Dog dose
  • Hook 'Em 1

So the little gal is going to end up going with a family with more than one dog. She’s been fostered around two older dogs and that’s what she is used to. Back to the adoption drawing board…lol. At least I’ve got paperwork filled out at the local shelter and other places. I’m ready…just have to find the right one…or the right one finds me. However it works. Man I miss Little Bitty. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

Took this dude out for a haircut yesterday and to the St. John’s river  this morning hoping he could see the manatees.  But, no luck today.  6 months and 1 week old, up to 66 lbs  A1D43E07-39CC-43C7-A516-09D8C8CECC83.thumb.jpeg.d52c7411cf8b99eb6d26010b1d615e01.jpeg

Beautiful puppeh!

• Hook 'Em 2

.....and I need some puppy raising links and resources. My girlfriend is young, stubborn and insane. She has no idea how to raise a puppy, but thinks she does. She refuses to take my advice about anything because she can't stand being wrong about anything if I'm right.

Example 1 - she thinks you just let puppies run around all the time day and night and do whatever they want. Sleep in bed with you, pee/poop in the bed with you, fall off the bed, walk on your head while you sleep, destroy sheets and pillows, etc. Putting a puppy in a crate is terrible because the puppy cries, so she takes him back out. All her stupid naive young friends agrees this is how you raise a puppy.

I've tried to stress the importance of crate training, but she is ignoring me and actually sleeping on the sofa with the puppy because I don't want him pissing/pooping/destroying the bed. Help me out before I tell her to move home.

11 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

.....and I need some puppy raising links and resources. My girlfriend is young, stubborn and insane. She has no idea how to raise a puppy, but thinks she does. She refuses to take my advice about anything because she can't stand being wrong about anything if I'm right.

Example 1 - she thinks you just let puppies run around all the time day and night and do whatever they want. Sleep in bed with you, pee/poop in the bed with you, fall off the bed, walk on your head while you sleep, destroy sheets and pillows, etc. Putting a puppy in a crate is terrible because the puppy cries, so she takes him back out. All her stupid naive young friends agrees this is how you raise a puppy.

I've tried to stress the importance of crate training, but she is ignoring me and actually sleeping on the sofa with the puppy because I don't want him pissing/pooping/destroying the bed. Help me out before I tell her to move home.

Robert Cabral on YouTube lots of great free information about whatever you can imagine.  I subscribe to his website.  It’s 15 a month.   Really good information. It was recommended by my schnauzers trainer as a second source of information and good answers to issues when I don’t want to wait until our next session.  

…and holy shit I cannot imagine an Airedale raised like that. He will run your house in no time. Terrible animal to let do whatever it wants. I put a martingale collar on Schwartz and he was either in the crate, or tied to my belt with a 10 ft leash. Instant behavior corrections and he learned very quickly who he is supposed to be with as well as the family hierarchy.

Edited by JoseMedinaDeJesus
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

Robert Cabral on YouTube lots of great free information about whatever you can imagine.  I subscribe to his website.  It’s 15 a month.   Really good information. It was recommended by my schnauzers trainer as a second source of information and good answers to issues when I don’t want to wait until our next session.  

Thanks, but that $15 will probably go to waste, since there's a good chance my girlfriend won't even look at the links. I probably should have said free links and resources.