Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

14 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Thanks, but that $15 will probably go to waste, since there's a good chance my girlfriend won't even look at the links. I probably should have said free links and resources.

Like I said, “Robert Cabral on YouTube. Lots of great FREE information about whatever you can imagine”

For example: Why you should crate train your dog.

Edited by JoseMedinaDeJesus
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

…and holy shit I cannot imagine an Airedale raised like that. He will run your house in no time. Terrible animal to let do whatever it wants. I put a martingale collar on Schwartz and he was either in the crate, or tied to my belt with a 10 ft leash. Instant behavior corrections and he learned very quickly who he is supposed to be with as well as the family hierarchy.

it's one of the reasons Mexico has such a massive unwanted/street dog problem. Families get a cute puppy, don't bother to learn how to raise it (or spay/neuter), then either ignore it or abuse it and suddenly their cute puppy is an out of control monster. Then it gets dropped off somewhere and has a short life as a street dog. The attitude about dogs here really pisses me off.

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

it's one of the reasons Mexico has such a massive unwanted/street dog problem. Families get a cute puppy, don't bother to learn how to raise it (or spay/neuter), then either ignore it or abuse it and suddenly their cute puppy is an out of control monster. Then it gets dropped off somewhere and has a short life as a street dog. The attitude about dogs here really pisses me off.

My kid semi-jokingly says that I helicopter dad my puppy.  I do.  Training, daycare, etc. I am always on top of him.  But I researched this breed and other for literal years before I made the choice to get something that I was unfamiliar with.  I know that’s not how everyone works.  I think Americans are terrible pet owners and have no idea what their pets need to be happy and healthy. Nor what they need to just be a good dog. It’s why we have the shelter problems here. I cannot imagine worse pet owners.  I know they are out there and it’s been so long since I’ve been to Mexico that I forgot all about their feral dog problems. 

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

where do you live in mexico?

On 7/30/2021 at 7:50 AM, Nicole44 said:

So the little gal is going to end up going with a family with more than one dog. She’s been fostered around two older dogs and that’s what she is used to. Back to the adoption drawing board…lol. At least I’ve got paperwork filled out at the local shelter and other places. I’m ready…just have to find the right one…or the right one finds me. However it works. Man I miss Little Bitty. 

Hang in there Nicole44.  It was on our sixth attempt that we were able to find our next canine kids after Zeke crossed over.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2021 at 7:50 AM, Nicole44 said:

So the little gal is going to end up going with a family with more than one dog. She’s been fostered around two older dogs and that’s what she is used to. Back to the adoption drawing board…lol. At least I’ve got paperwork filled out at the local shelter and other places. I’m ready…just have to find the right one…or the right one finds me. However it works. Man I miss Little Bitty. 

Make me an offer.

20210531_194453.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

That is a Latin America problem. But the worse I saw was in Dubai. The way dogs were treated there was just pitiful. And these were imported. Imagine a St. Bernard chained to a wall in 110+ degree heat. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is a Latin America problem. But the worse I saw was in Dubai. The way dogs were treated there was just pitiful. And these were imported. Imagine a St. Bernard chained to a wall in 110+ degree heat. 

at least they’re not eating them. though that may actually be more humane. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

My mom lived part time in the Yucatan for 10 years.  While she was there, she adopted 6 dogs.  People basically started dumping dogs outside the front gate because word got out that these people kept the local vet in business.  Anyway, they were sweet, well-fed Yucatan dogs.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My mom lived part time in the Yucatan for 10 years.  While she was there, she adopted 6 dogs.  People basically started dumping dogs outside the front gate because word got out that these people kept the local vet in business.  Anyway, they were sweet, well-fed Yucatan dogs.

My ex Mother in Law (Dominican) hated my dogs. She would smack at them every time she came over. 

We did not get along. 

C

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

My ex Mother in Law (Dominican) hated my dogs. She would smack at them every time she came over. 

We did not get along. 

C

My mom is an animal lover and an ASPCA donor.  We get along mostly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcbc said:

My mom is an animal lover and an ASPCA donor.  We get along mostly.

Real mom (Boston) grew up on farms and let me adopt any Latin American street animal. I had foxes, monkeys, a bad ass goat who would eat my joints, etc. 

She loved all the critters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:36 PM, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

Robert Cabral on YouTube lots of great free information about whatever you can imagine.  I subscribe to his website.  It’s 15 a month.   Really good information. It was recommended by my schnauzers trainer as a second source of information and good answers to issues when I don’t want to wait until our next session.  

…and holy shit I cannot imagine an Airedale raised like that. He will run your house in no time. Terrible animal to let do whatever it wants. I put a martingale collar on Schwartz and he was either in the crate, or tied to my belt with a 10 ft leash. Instant behavior corrections and he learned very quickly who he is supposed to be with as well as the family hierarchy.

This times eleventy billion. We have been much better training Monroe and it has paid off. she is much better behaved than Gretzky and Maggie were. Gretzky could be a handful at times. We still do basic obedience training with Monroe to keep her in line. 

She is also crate trained and loves her crate, she will go in there on her own to just relax.

Monroe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

This times eleventy billion. We have been much better training Monroe and it has paid off. she is much better behaved than Gretzky and Maggie were. Gretzky could be a handful at times. We still do basic obedience training with Monroe to keep her in line. 

She is also crate trained and loves her crate, she will go in there on her own to just relax.

Monroe.jpg

Cool dog!  Love Airedale’s. We already have a Vizsla so I had to get something slightly more low key, hence the giant schnauzer.  But the giant is one stubborn, dominant male monkey mother fucker.  Constantly attempting to lead the way.  Not In my house little dog. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2021 at 6:42 AM, 52-80 said:

So supposedly the aggro dog did not start getting aggro against the timid dog until a few years ago when the timid dog starting getting (occasional, mild) seizures.  Is it annoyance? confusion?  Maybe that little fucker needs a dog therapist instead of a vet.

i didn't see anybody answer this for you...but it's probably 'predatory drift'.

when the other dog starts seizing the aggressive dog may instinctually see it as prey based on a noise it makes, fear scent, if it pees on itself, etc...it can trigger their dormant predatory instinct and they suddenly see the other as prey, even if they've lived together their whole lives. 

happened to some friends with an elderly sick dog and a younger one, they had to keep them separated for months until the senior dog was ready to go.

deep down inside they're all still wolves... even this one! 😊

20210617_223734.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3