Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

I need some help finding a tough dog toy. My Boston Terrier will instantly destroy anything that I give him, unless he doesn't like it. Then he just ignores it. I got him a classic Kong but unless it has peanut butter in it, he's not too keen about it. I got him a big donut (made of a tough-looking corduroy material), he tore it open. Got him a Kong ring, he tore off the covering (tennis ball kind of felt).  Tonight, I got him a Kong bone that has crackling plastic inside of it, like an empty plastic water bottle. He tore off the top of it. 

I got him a water buffalo horn once and he likes it, but the smell is so horrible, my wife can't stand it. I'm at a loss.

I need some help finding a tough dog toy. My Boston Terrier will instantly destroy anything that I give him, unless he doesn't like it. Then he just ignores it. I got him a classic Kong but unless it has peanut butter in it, he's not too keen about it. I got him a big donut (made of a tough-looking corduroy material), he tore it open. Got him a Kong ring, he tore off the covering (tennis ball kind of felt).  Tonight, I got him a Kong bone that has crackling plastic inside of it, like an empty plastic water bottle. He tore off the top of it. 
I got him a water buffalo horn once and he likes it, but the smell is so horrible, my wife can't stand it. I'm at a loss.
Kong moose has worked well for us. Body is a circle/ donut.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Kong moose has worked well for us. Body is a circle/ donut.

This thing? Hmm. 

https://www.chewy.com/kong-cozie-marvin-moose-plush-dog-toy/dp/47697

20 hours ago, Sandman said:

These are awesome.  My pups finally got through their first one after about two years.

https://www.westpaw.com/

On 5/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Sandman said:

I've given up on the "tough" toys ..... if he can't destroy it, he's simply not interested. GIve him a 3 liter Ozarka bottle with the cap tightened and he's good for an hour. He'll destroy the cap and then take all of his rage out on the fact that he can't get his jaws around the rest of the bottle. 

• Like 1

Nine years ago I posted a video on TOS of this little guy frolicking in the pool with two of the neighbor’s labs. Shoulder problem popped up overnight and we immediately took him to the vet. The Big C! The family is absolutely heartbroken. We hospice a lot of rescue dogs that are on their last leg for various reasons and sometime suffer through two or three losses in as many months. They’re all painful because we just get so close to them so quickly, but we got Colt as a puppy and the memories from puppy to now just makes it so much harder.
eb4f68a161015739cebcc84597861637.jpg
3621d5229948bf91a078000aa89abbdc.jpg

• Like 7

After 10 or so years with no pets, we’re back in the dog owners group. This little guy is smart as a whip, but damn these nights are brutal. It makes me remember why I didn’t want any more kids. Hopefully, he’ll settle in pretty soon.

becad9732563d7070e27d79f1535ac10.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Look at that fat little fluffy baby!!

What’s his name? He’s adorable!

My two girls were deadset on Tommy (they are a little obsessed with Tom Holland) and ended up agreeing with their mom on Tobey. Apparently they have a Spider-Man crush.

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

She's the one that took a plate glass window to the head right?  She's got this!

Yes, she is.  We cancelled our trip, and I am headed to the vet to pick her up.  Hoping that being near us will help her recover.  She gets so depressed when she is boarded, that I do not think that is helping.

Hello dog lovers. 

Anyone have experience with Chemo for dogs?  My 12 year old pit mix is having an amputation today due to bone cancer leading to a leg break.  I've been told that beyond the relief (most important) the amputation buys perhaps 3-6 months. 

There's debate due to her age as to whether the chemo buys more than that.  Depends on who you google, it seems.  Just wondering if anyone has (unfortunately) dealt with this.

Since there seem to be rules, this is Gracie:

LH0J4R5.jpg?1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, triplehorn said:

I've discovered my 2 y/o Eurasier has turned into my ultimate hiking buddy.  He can probably go x4 farther and higher than I can and has four feet to do it with agility.  And he loves it.

The past few weeks we've had incredibly nice weather so I've taken him on several Columbia River Gorge hikes usually around 6 miles total with up to 2500 ft elevation gain.  

Hopefully just the beginning

Top of Angel's Rest (OR side):

0E4AF247-E418-4977-A251-5E004075FCD6.jpe

Not the least bit scared of standing on the edge of major cliffs.  WA side hike :

I posted almost this same picture with Olive at this location.  Though I'm not sure if it is here or on Shaggy.  RIP Olive.

Edited by Nuge

10 hours ago, Nuge said:

I posted almost this same picture with Olive at this location.  Though I'm not sure if it is here or on Shaggy.  RIP Olive.

Sad to hear Olive is no longer with us, but glad to hear she got to go to some nice places !

today I hiked from river level up to Indian Point in the Gorge (about 5-10 mi upriver from Angel's Rest) and did a 10 mi route with 3k ft climb w Bo.

The Indian Point spire is 2240 ft above the river and basically just plunges down.  Looks like a squirrel suit base jump site.

3271EDA9-4B89-434F-AC4C-1C307B1AB441.png

B8A3CB34-AD3A-42E2-8C4C-616D0A464D01.png

• Like 5

Sad to hear Olive is no longer with us, but glad to hear she got to go to some nice places !

today I hiked from river level up to Indian Point in the Gorge (about 5-10 mi upriver from Angel's Rest) and did a 10 mi route with 3k ft climb w Bo.
The Indian Point spire is 2240 ft above the river and basically just plunges down.  Looks like a squirrel suit base jump site.

3271EDA9-4B89-434F-AC4C-1C307B1AB441.png
B8A3CB34-AD3A-42E2-8C4C-616D0A464D01.png

The gorge is...wait for it... gorgeous!
I have a bunch of buddies coming up this weekend from Austin. One the days they're here we'll go play a couple of rounds of disc golf in the gorge (N. Bonneville & Cascade Locks) and have lunch at Thunder Island Brewing.

I found the picture of Olive at Angel's Rest (appropriate name in retrospect).

80b02b7666d095de7d43e50500a4bbd3.jpg
  • Like 9

Thanks to everyone for all the positive thoughts sent Abby's way. Unfortunately, she just couldn't get over this, so I made the decision to say goodbye to my sweet baby this morning. We had 16+ years together, and for that, I am thankful. Needless to say I am heartbroken, but I'm glad I got to spend these last 3 days with her. cc619c0a88a7a56895b3480bbc8ed0d7.jpgcde2bdd4c1b53fe26131359a4e6cec00.jpg

• Like 7

Had to put my youngest dog down today.  She was only 3 years old.  So out of the blue.  Took her to vet for a limp on Monday, then 2 more follow ups due to no improvement.  Finally took her into a pet hospital last night because she wasn't eating.  After some tests they thought she had some foreign object in her intestine and went in for exploratory surgery.  Damage was so bad there was nothing they could do.   They believe a blood clot got stuck in her intestine and caused all the damage.  She was the toughest dog i've had.  She was still walking and barking at noises on Wednesday.  

daisy2.jpg
daisy.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Sandman said:

Where'd you get the water buffalo horn? My two are insanely heavy chewers and these are the only things that last, and I've never had one that smelled. We've also had luck with really thick rope toys.