Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

How old is Fu now? Is Jaca (sp?) still around? 
Almost feels like I've known those dogs forever.

Fu is 8 and Jaca is 10. He is still very active and healthy all things considered. But he is entering the last years of typical boxer lifespan. My oldest daughter is starting to ask about if he is going to die. It will be rough for everyone, even Fu. They are thick as thieves.

I started posting in 2011 and had adopted Jaca that year...so it has been almost a decade.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks. The dogs are getting old and my girls are getting big.

Yes they are getting big and both are cute as buttons. Gabi sure loves her some Fu. What is your younger daughter's name, if you don't mind me asking? 

So Allie is a little over a year and a half now.  Her mom is a yellow lab who belongs to a guy I coach with.  She got out of his backyard when she went into heat so he isn't certain who the dad is.  She looks mostly like a Lab, but she has a slightly larger head, is broader in the shoulders and is taller than others we've had. She's mostly black, but the undercoat behind her ears is blond, and she looks deep brown/red when the sunlight hits her right. She also weighs over 90 lbs whereas most female labs typically weigh between 60 to 75 lbs.  Any ideas?

20191005-175625.jpg

20191005-181043-001.jpg

20191005-175951.jpg

20191005-175947.jpg

• Like 8

Started with positive reinforcement training last week and Luna has been responding to it very well. She is fucking smart and eager to please, so it doesn't take but a few repetitions before she learns a command.

So happy about this because I was getting concerned about her increasingly aggressive behavior. Dog just needs shit to do, and me to tell her what that is. 

20 hours ago, Burt said:

So Allie is a little over a year and a half now.  Her mom is a yellow lab who belongs to a guy I coach with.  She got out of his backyard when she went into heat so he isn't certain who the dad is.  She looks mostly like a Lab, but she has a slightly larger head, is broader in the shoulders and is taller than others we've had. She's mostly black, but the undercoat behind her ears is blond, and she looks deep brown/red when the sunlight hits her right. She also weighs over 90 lbs whereas most female labs typically weigh between 60 to 75 lbs.  Any ideas?

20191005-175625.jpg

20191005-181043-001.jpg

20191005-175951.jpg

20191005-175947.jpg

that’s a fine bitch. 

Shelby has become pretty sick almost overnight. She’s 11 years old but she has always been very strong and energetic. Everything seemed normal and then she suddenly stopped eating on Wednesday morning.

We took her to the vet yesterday and they did labs that showed very low platelets and anemia. They are unsure the cause so far but she gets an abdominal ultrasound today to check for internal bleeding. We put her on doxycycline for possible tick-borne infections (although no history of ticks and the blood tests didn’t turn anything up) and vitamin K for possible rat poison toxicity (we’ve never used rat poison at our house so that also seems highly unlikely). These are just shots in the dark for now until the vet knows more.

Five years ago our 8 year old apparently healthy golden retriever suddenly stopped eating and he turned out to have leukemia. He was gone within a month and the parallels are definitely there with Shelby’s sudden change, so needless to say we’re freaking out a bit. We were scheduled to leave on Sunday for a weeklong trip to California and I’m heavily considering canceling that trip so we can make sure we’re around for whatever vet appointments she needs.

Sorry for the downer post. Wish her luck.

d7ac485cb039e94333830bcc3eed47f0.jpg

• Like 9

Shelby has a mass in her spleen that is bleeding internally. 60% chance it’s malignant, 40% chance it’s benign. Only way to know is surgery and without surgery she would probably not make it past the weekend, so she’s having surgery this afternoon. As a physician (the human kind) I’m nervous as hell about her having surgery with a platelet count of 22k but we don’t have a choice.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. This came out of nowhere.

• Like 4

Surgery went relatively well, so that’s a minor victory. He removed the spleen and a large mass attached to it and drained the fluid from her abdomen. He said he saw some small spots throughout her abdomen that could be metastases but maybe not. Only way to know is to wait on pathology in 5-7 days.

The next obstacle for her is short term recovery to see if she regains strength and starts making blood cells. If that goes well we may get to bring her home in 2-3 days, then long term prognosis depends on the pathology.

• Like 7

we thought our 13 yoa golden mix was done last year. in the space of 2 days Cass stopped eating, wouldnt get up and was vomiting. took her in prepared for the end...

fantastic vet poked, prodded and listened and decided she had a mass on her spleen. surgery removed it, the size of two fists.

the past year and a half has been awesome. for the first time since we've had her she is able to eat anything she wants without puking - we had her on sensitive stomach prescription food for years. we definitely spoil her now with meat, cheese, eggs and such. 

anyway, my point is i had no idea a spleen was an optional organ.

hoping Shelby recovers as well as Cass! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I used to have that exact same rug.

Really tied the room together.

That rug is machine washable. I'll never have another type of rug in a common area while I have dogs and kids. This brand.

On a related note, I've found the best plush dog toy for heavy chewers - I know some of y'all also have dogs who destroy any toy within a few minutes.The brand is Fluff & Tuff. They had a booth at the AHS Puppy Bowl in February and we got a stuffed hippo, fully expecting it to get shredded quickly. That thing lasted for months. Subsequent toys haven't lasted that long now that Rocket is huge, but any toy that can make it more than a couple of days is a winner. I tried every "tough" brand I could find and nothing has worked as well as Fluff & Tuff. Everything at Petsmart had the stuffing pulled out within half an hour.

In Austin, I buy Fluff & Tuff at Kriser's on Great Hills, but they're also on Amazon.

Of these, the best one is the beach ball because it doesn't have any head, tail, or limbs for them to chew off.

spacer.png

Second best is the caterpillar.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Shelby’s surgery went well on Friday and the vet said she is recovering about as well as can be expected. Blood counts are improving, vitals are good, she is eating some and walking around. We won’t get to see her until we pick her up, which is hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Still have to wait on pathology and odds are 75% that it’s malignant, but we are trying to stay positive that she’ll be in the lucky minority.

We were supposed to leave for a week in California starting today. I had a conference but it was mostly just vacation for my wife and myself. We canceled the vacation part completely, I’m headed to SF and back just for today, wife is staying home in case anything happens. It’s a bummer missing the trip but that disappointment pales in comparison to the anguish on Friday, and any fun we would’ve had will not match the happiness of getting our dog back.

• Like 3

My parents had to put down our family dog, Bridgette, today.  She was about 14 and her health was failing.  She was adopted by our family after my little sister brought her home from her Vet Tech school.  She was the animal that my sister practiced all of her nursing procedures on that semester, and we were only to keep her until we found her a good home.  After a brief re-housing with neighbors, Bridgette returned to us as she had already made home in our hearts.  Just another in a long line of good pets for our family.  Here's a video of a much younger Bridgette with our old Aussie Zack who passed on several years back.  Their house is going to be hauntingly quiet.  I wish I could be there to comfort them.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
added some context
  • Like 4