Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Sorry for your loss.

RIP Bridgette - say hi to my Murphy boy and tell him I miss him.

And on a less heavy note, do any of y’all follow Blair Braverman on Twitter? She’s a dogsled racer/musher who competed in the Iditarod a couple of years ago.

Anyway she runs - and lives in - adog kennel for sled dogs. She posts amazingly cute, funny, and pretty interesting and educational stuff about her brood of pups and the sport.

Seriously worth a follow.

She’s very cute too.

51e5482f122289f1ff2b9bc96edf63b2.jpg

And they just got a new puppy! Her name is Leap, short for Lambeau Leap. (They’re in Wisconsin.)

47ef991b21bf8fe6f3b72938bfa1da46.jpgc1189330bee5093ae57f544ac72f9b91.jpg

Some guy running from the cops hopped my back fence 45 minutes ago while we were out enjoying beer and rain. As soon as he hit the ground, Penny and Emma were on top of him. Climbed back up the fence and stood up there for a few minutes while dogs jumped after him and I held a light on him. He finally made it over to the neighbor's yard, made it to the front, and cops found him hiding behind my garbage cans. He had some extra holes in his legs. 

Good fucking dogs. Emma, the 16 year old, was showing no mercy. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Some guy running from the cops hopped my back fence 45 minutes ago while we were out enjoying beer and rain. As soon as he hit the ground, Penny and Emma were in top of him. Climbed back up the fence and stood up there for a few minutes while dogs jumped after him and I held a light on him. He finally made it over to the neighbor's yard, made it to the front, and cops found him hiding behind my garbage cans. He had some extra holes in his legs. 

Whoa

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Whoa

Yeah. Apparently, he shot at his girlfriend during a domestic argument. Cops came back through several times looking for his gun and backpack, which they were unable to locate. The last time they cam back through, one of the cops was laughing, "He said he stayed hidden behind your garbage cans because some big, bald, white guy kept walking by. I guess that was you."

lulz. 

My wife has a 16 year old (2 months from 17 yrs old) teddy terrier that is basically a shell of a dog that has little to no control over bowels and very little senses left to guide himself through the world. He is losing his hips and frequently gets stuck spread eagle on the tile floor or any slippery surface. Couple all that with a raging case of sundowner it has progressed to the point where I cant stand to watch him suffer. She will not let this dog go. I offered to take him myself to the vet to send him to doggie heaven, but she will not agree. I am very worried he will die in our home and my young kids will find him. I dont think they should have to try and process that at their age.

This is one of the best dogs I have ever had the blessing of being around. But he is a shell of himself and short of just taking him in one day and forcing this to happen, I cant think of any good ways to make her agree to let him go. It is just a terrible deal but I know he is suffering and it is well past time.

Any suggestions on ways to approach this are appreciated. 

12 hours ago, Deej said:

Some guy running from the cops hopped my back fence 45 minutes ago while we were out enjoying beer and rain. As soon as he hit the ground, Penny and Emma were on top of him. Climbed back up the fence and stood up there for a few minutes while dogs jumped after him and I held a light on him. He finally made it over to the neighbor's yard, made it to the front, and cops found him hiding behind my garbage cans. He had some extra holes in his legs. 

Gonna need pics of Emma and Penny. Good girls that they are. 

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My wife has a 16 year old (2 months from 17 yrs old) teddy terrier that is basically a shell of a dog that has little to no control over bowels and very little senses left to guide himself through the world. He is losing his hips and frequently gets stuck spread eagle on the tile floor or any slippery surface. Couple all that with a raging case of sundowner it has progressed to the point where I cant stand to watch him suffer. She will not let this dog go. I offered to take him myself to the vet to send him to doggie heaven, but she will not agree. I am very worried he will die in our home and my young kids will find him. I dont think they should have to try and process that at their age.

This is one of the best dogs I have ever had the blessing of being around. But he is a shell of himself and short of just taking him in one day and forcing this to happen, I cant think of any good ways to make her agree to let him go. It is just a terrible deal but I know he is suffering and it is well past time.

Give the vet a heads up. Get GF to take dog to vet for some reason or other. Maybe she would listen to the vet's rec to put the dog down.

This is exactly what I did for a dog my wife had for many years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Wow, that's ruff. (badum tshhh)  If it wasn't a horrible breach of confidence/trust, I'd just sneak him away to Dr. Vet Kvorkian.

If I've learned anything from being married it's that you can't use logic and reasoning to win a woman over to your side.  Appeal to her emotions.  Show her how sad the dog is in its current state of diminished health.  Comment on how it's an act of compassion to humanely let him end his suffering.  Mention how devastating it would be to have the kids come upon a dead dog.

• Like 1

Stupid assholes with aggressive dogs that dont keep them on a leash should be summarily executed in the streets.

Loki got attacked at our private park by someone's dog that wasnt from our neighborhood. Somehow they got through the locked gate and let their dog run free. Out of nowhere it ran up and attacked Loki as I was throwing the float into the lake for him. 

At vet now for stitches and whatever else. It took everything I had not to beaat the shit out of the old drunk fuck owner that allowed it to happen. Thankfully my wife was there to be the reasonable one.

So pissed.

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Outstanding. Good girls.

I sometimes wonder what Luna would do if someone were to break in or otherwise threaten my safety in her presence. 

Hope to never have to find out.

They aren't going to stand for someone endangering their perfect life.

Stupid assholes with aggressive dogs that dont keep them on a leash should be summarily executed in the streets.
Loki got attacked at our private park by someone's dog that wasnt from our neighborhood. Somehow they got through the locked gate and let their dog run free. Out of nowhere it ran up and attacked Loki as I was throwing the float into the lake for him. 
At vet now for stitches and whatever else. It took everything I had not to beaat the shit out of the old drunk fuck owner that allowed it to happen. Thankfully my wife was there to be the reasonable one.
So pissed.

Wait, is Loki the 16 year old dog you are ready to put down?

21 minutes ago, Player said:

I hate this thread sometimes. My condolences to you Tailgate... hang in there. Toby looks like a good boy. 

Thanks Player...it helps knowing he is going to be in a much better place.

And for a previous poster who asked about advice for dogs who become a shell of themselves...seriously think if you are keeping it around for you...or would it be best to let it Rest In Peace. And that’s tough to know but hopefully you’ll find the answer.

Goddamn. Rough week. RIP to all those pups. The best years and the single worst day. I feel for all of you alI having gone through it twice last year.  Ruffas will be gone a year on November 1.  Eli is fantastic.  I love him to death and wouldn’t change a thing about him but damn do I still miss Ruffas. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 3

5f177d0ec2cad6e037808b4cd17c1bc4.jpg
She’s an aggressive chewer. Thankfully (ignore what’s in her mouth in the picture) she only chews what she’s supposed to. I can’t find anything that will last. Yesterday will go down as the day of destruction. Cotton was all over our house as she destroyed her 3 favorite soft toys. She goes through large raw hides in an hour. What can I get that will last? I’ve never had a dog that chews like this.

I have a nylabone (rubber bone) that she liked for about 10 minutes when she was younger. Doesn’t touch it now.

She will mess with a rope for a while, but not would rather have someone else on the other end.

She loves the soft squeaky toys to play fetch with, but those get sacrificed when the other chew stickers and bones are gone.

10 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

She’s an aggressive chewer. Thankfully (ignore what’s in her mouth in the picture) she only chews what she’s supposed to. I can’t find anything that will last. Yesterday will go down as the day of destruction. Cotton was all over our house as she destroyed her 3 favorite soft toys. She goes through large raw hides in an hour. What can I get that will last? I’ve never had a dog that chews like this.

I have a nylabone (rubber bone) that she liked for about 10 minutes when she was younger. Doesn’t touch it now.

She will mess with a rope for a while, but not would rather have someone else on the other end.

She loves the soft squeaky toys to play fetch with, but those get sacrificed when the other chew stickers and bones are gone.

This is the best I've found.  Finn still eventually rips them into at least two pieces, but it takes a few months and they actually have a one time replacement guarantee, but I've never gone through that process.

https://www.westpaw.com/dog-toys

My stepmom's nickname is Ellie Mae Clampett.  She collects animals, and for the last 5 years or so she and my Dad had Hagrid 90% of the time.  Last night when I called she reported that not only is Hagrid being cremated, but she ordered a granite headstone with his picture on it.  She's got a regular pet cemetery out at her/dad's place.  I didn't even know pet cremation was a thing until Hagrid passed.

beverlyhillbilliesellysanimals01.jpg

Edited by BearSchlong

5 hours ago, kmac30 said:

509685_3.jpg

Once she goes black...

• Like 1

The one on the right is my dog Luna. She's about 65 pounds. The one on the left was a few inches taller than her.

I had the dna test done on her and it came back mutt with nothing more than 10%. They didn't have black mouth curr in their database, which is what I'm pretty sure she is.

11 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Have you tried a deer antler? Bon Bon will chew a deer antler for hours.

anybody dealt with vestibular disease?

Cass was diagnosed about 6 months ago (we thought she'd had a stroke). it's progressive but generally she's done okay. she spins a lot, and is prone to falling if she tries to move too fast.

hard determining when is the right time to end it :( she still eats heartily, isn't incontinent, and enjoys being loved on...but some days she's so off kilter we just carry her outside/inside. we've put throw rugs throughout the house so she doesn't slip around so much.

my other 2 dogs were very sudden, traumatic illnesses. Cass has had several near misses, including aforementioned spleen removal. every time we've thought 'it's time' she's bounced back. 

anybody ever dealt with this?

The one on the right is my dog Luna. She's about 65 pounds. The one on the left was a few inches taller than her.
I had the dna test done on her and it came back mutt with nothing more than 10%. They didn't have black mouth curr in their database, which is what I'm pretty sure she is.

Penny is about 7 months old and currently weighs around 33 lbs. Did the DNA thing and it came back with Rottweiler (25%), Chow, Boxer, other.

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My stepmom's nickname is Ellie Mae Clampett.  She collects animals, and for the last 5 years or so she and my Dad had Hagrid 90% of the time.  Last night when I called she reported that not only is Hagrid being cremated, but she ordered a granite headstone with his picture on it.  She's got a regular pet cemetery out at her/dad's place.  I didn't even know pet cremation was a thing until Hagrid passed.

beverlyhillbilliesellysanimals01.jpg

My dad moved in with his current wife in east Texas about 15 years ago. House near Kilgore on the top of a ridge overlooking a creek. On that ridge along their fence line is a row of graves. Dog graves. Memorials, makeshift headstones, etc. She's a dog lover, and takes in every stray that comes her way. And buries them all with full honors. I mean I don't hate it, but what happens when they decide to move or something? Fuckin Pet Sematary out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Penny is about 7 months old and currently weighs around 33 lbs. Did the DNA thing and it came back with Rottweiler (25%), Chow, Boxer, other.

My Penny came back 50% basset hound, 50% Australian Cattle Dog. She herds very short livestock.

• Haha 1