Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

So Maeby the 13 month old Golden Lab Quarter Doodle pictured ad nauseum above decided to spend more time than usual outside during our late night family Skip Bo tournament last night.  When she came back in, she was carrying a dead, baby opossum, which she laid at my wife's feet.  The scream that followed was ear shattering.  After we cleaned it up, I let her out of the kennel and told her how much my wife appreciated the gift. 

Side story, Gracie the Schnoodle had this young opossum cornered earlier in the week, but wasn't doing more than barking at it.  

I now know who the stone cold killer in our household is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So Maeby the 13 month old Golden Lab Quarter Doodle pictured ad nauseum above decided to spend more time than usual outside during our late night family Skip Bo tournament last night.  When she came back in, she was carrying a dead, baby opossum, which she laid at my wife's feet.  The scream that followed was ear shattering.  After we cleaned it up, I let her out of the kennel and told her how much my wife appreciated the gift. 

Side story, Gracie the Schnoodle had this young opossum cornered earlier in the week, but wasn't doing more than barking at it.  

Awesome story. Last Sunday my wife screamed and I ran into bathroom. A live baby possum. We figured the 1 killer we have brought it in the night before and thought it was dead and just dropped it. I took it out front and let it go. 

• Like 1

PSA. Don’t take aggressive dogs to off leash dog parks just because you think no one is around. 

fucking assholes. 
*dogs both fine. People are fucking idiots. 
That's my biggest fear at dog parks, some dogs and their clueless owners have no business being there
  • Like 1

ya'll know what causes intermittent drooling from a dog?

i dont mean big ass dog with mouth agape just slobbering..... my little couch dog occasionally has bouts of drooling where she just drips drips drips water out of 1 side of her mouth like a goddamn faucet.  its clear.  its light, not viscous.  shes not in a panic or didnt come in from a big run or nothing.  shes just... there... and drooling

20 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Rambo got his first rabbit a couple of weeks ago8957948de67c12f61e898e2ea77cef99.jpg

We used to have a GSD that was a hearing assist dog.  My wife wants another one so bad.  We just had a little dog (Capt. Velcro) go on to BadAss Dog Heaven and the other dog (a neurotic American Eskie) has actually calmed the fuck down lately, now that she is an only dog.  We took her to the vet when we took The Capt in to be put to sleep.  I joke that maybe she thinks she is next.... but actually, she has turned in to a decent dog now and I'm afraid a puppy would send her back in to neurotic, anxious hell.   

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

We used to have a GSD that was a hearing assist dog.  My wife wants another one so bad.  We just had a little dog (Capt. Velcro) go on to BadAss Dog Heaven and the other dog (a neurotic American Eskie) has actually calmed the fuck down lately, now that she is an only dog.  We took her to the vet when we took The Capt in to be put to sleep.  I joke that maybe she thinks she is next.... but actually, she has turned in to a decent dog now and I'm afraid a puppy would send her back in to neurotic, anxious hell.   

Wholly crap I love the name "Capt Velcro".  Got to remember that one.

His real name when we adopted him was Teddy, but every time he went outside, he would come back with shit stuck to him.  Pine cones, sweet gum balls, rose bushes, stickers, pine straw, leaves, grass clippings.....  He was like a ball of walking velcro.  Plus, the little fucker was deaf so it didn't matter what I called him.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

His real name when we adopted him was Teddy, but every time he went outside, he would come back with shit stuck to him.  Pine cones, sweet gum balls, rose bushes, stickers, pine straw, leaves, grass clippings.....  He was like a ball of walking velcro.  Plus, the little fucker was deaf so it didn't matter what I called him.  

In the land of the deaf , the hearing man is king. And the king repeats himself a lot. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, dcbc said:

Edgar did this to me once, except it was a freshly killed dead rat and I was in the middle of a conference call. And I was working in our guest bedroom and he dropped it on the guest bed.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, George said:

I’m curious how the dog was trained for hearing assistance. What could it do?  Daughter has bilateral cochlear implants and we just acquired a pair of pups. Might be cool to try and teach them a few thing to help her out when she isn’t wearing her processors. I know it’s probably a lot more complicated, so mainly just curious how it helped you. 

That gets me to my first contribution on this thread. I’ve got an old pal Rocky on his deathbed and we just added a pair of Dalmatians to the house. We’re fucking doomed!

Meet Doc and Ginger. Doc is 12 weeks and Ginger is just shy of 8.  Covid quarantine just got a lot more interesting at our place. 

63-CD76-E8-9-B7-B-4730-ADD2-32-EEC42-E06

Are the pups you want to train the dalmatians?   Good luck with that. ;)    My time with them is very limited, but I'm not sure they will grasp the concept.  When the dog was a pup, she was sent to an obedience school, then worked with her at home.  She spent all of her time with a newborn after that.   (I'll find a picture later).  She would wake up my wife (this was before we were married) when the baby cried.  If someone came to the front door, she would go to the door, bark, then go find my wife, bark and then go sit by the front door.    Same with the phone.  Most of this was just working with her at home.   She was also excellent at cleaning the baby's face after she ate or threw up.   Licked clean.  

When I moved in, I would let the dog out in the morning to get the paper.  About day 4, I forgot about her outside and there were 14 newspapers stacked up by the door.  She was so proud.  The next morning I watched her and she went to the farthest house in the hood and brought back the paper, then the next house....and so on.  I told the paper deliver dude to just deliver all of the papers at my house because I had to redeliver them every morning after that.  

How old is your daughter?   How long has she had the implants?  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s awesome!
We are going to ship these turds off to obedience school at 6 months. we know they require that extra attention but so far seem to be pretty smart  I figure the more we challenge them, the better.

Daughter is 16. She’s bilateral implanted since she was ~18 months. Does great, but mornings are a bitch sometimes. Her bed shaker wakes us up across the house but she sleeps through it. Would be interesting to see if we could train the dog to react to an alarm clock initially. 

she keeps her processors on all day, unless she’s in the bath or sleeping. Those are the times she could use the extra set of ears. Especially if when we boot her out of the house :)

• Like 1

This big galloot turned 11 years old today, something we didn't think would happen. Thanks to the incredible vet team at Cypress Creek Animal Hospital for keeping him alive several different times.6ad588426ac4eee2f18e51dfc077fb21.jpg
That's a badass mofo right there. The giant breeds are heart breakers for sure. Our mastiffs are not yet four and the girl has grey hair already.
  • Like 1

Fusca has been throwing up pretty much every meal for the last week. Took her to the vet for blood tests and x-rays. $700 later and not much answers. She is acting pretty normal otherwise. Might be an obstruction. We just spent $5k on her ligament surgery. Bought her for $20 from the pound. I guess that’s how it goes. But I don’t regret it. She is an incredible companion.

7XCUGT7T_o.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, MissingInAction said:

It is just me and Luna this last month of quarantine. I'd be insaner by now if it wasnt for her constant companionship. 

Here she is in a moment of repose among the ivy.   

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

Better company than most humans, I imagine.

55 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fusca has been throwing up pretty much every meal for the last week. Took her to the vet for blood tests and x-rays. $700 later and not much answers. She is acting pretty normal otherwise. Might be an obstruction. We just spent $5k on her ligament surgery. Bought her for $20 from the pound. I guess that’s how it goes. But I don’t regret it. She is an incredible companion.

7XCUGT7T_o.jpeg

I hope you get answers soon. I get it on the money. We adopted Rocket from the Austin Humane Society for ~$50 and have spent ~$5k so far on his hip dysplasia, but it's whatever. He needs surgery on his other side and I'm almost looking forward to spending the money because he's in pain and it will help. (They suspended all non-essential surgeries at the vet hospital because of the shortage of PPE and whatnot so they could give supplies to the human hospitals.)

• Like 6

23 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

ZEUS!!! 

I will never forget hearing him yak or cough or whatever it was. It was the sound of the Heavens.

That really was one of his better ones.  Now imagine sleeping peacefully in the middle of the night and being awaken by that noise.  That's my world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Better company than most humans, I imagine.

I hope you get answers soon. I get it on the money. We adopted Rocket from the Austin Humane Society for ~$50 and have spent ~$5k so far on his hip dysplasia, but it's whatever. He needs surgery on his other side and I'm almost looking forward to spending the money because he's in pain and it will help. (They suspended all non-essential surgeries at the vet hospital because of the shortage of PPE and whatnot so they could give supplies to the human hospitals.)

We have had several incidents with Zeus where I just handed them my credit card and said, "Put it on this and do not tell me how much it is."

• Like 4