Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Fusca has been throwing up pretty much every meal for the last week. Took her to the vet for blood tests and x-rays. $700 later and not much answers. She is acting pretty normal otherwise. Might be an obstruction. We just spent $5k on her ligament surgery. Bought her for $20 from the pound. I guess that’s how it goes. But I don’t regret it. She is an incredible companion.

I had an issue with my lab after we took away his manhood. He threw up every meal for a couple days before I took him back to the vet. Similar situation where they didn’t find anything concrete. Little research when I got home and found that it’s common for their esophageal sphincter to relax when put under for surgery, so stomach acids are able to come back up and cause vomiting after eating. We put him on a low fat soft food diet and gave sulcrafate tablets 3x daily and he was back to normal in a few days.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Deej said:

My three all are medium sized dogs, but Penny, being part Basset, weighs 68 pounds, and it is the heaviest 68 pounds ever when she insists upon sitting on me.

We have a deal where I let him spread out on me to distribute his weight and get comfy, and in return he lets me use his body as a surface on which I can put my book or laptop.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 10:33 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Fusca has been throwing up pretty much every meal for the last week. Took her to the vet for blood tests and x-rays. $700 later and not much answers. She is acting pretty normal otherwise. Might be an obstruction. We just spent $5k on her ligament surgery. Bought her for $20 from the pound. I guess that’s how it goes. But I don’t regret it. She is an incredible companion.

7XCUGT7T_o.jpeg

My dog puked for 10 days starting Good Friday. No lethargy or any other symptoms.  Went to vet and got no answers.  Quit feeding her dog bologna and she hasn't puked since. You get any answers? 

Well, looks like we may have let Rupp overdo it the last couple days.  He's been acting uncomfortable and holding his tail weird.  I"m going to crown myself Vet and diagnose him with Limber Tail Syndrome (links here and here), as he looks pretty much exactly like the pictures/video:

limber-tail.gif

Anybody else had this happen?  Sounds like rest/conservative treatment will clear it up in a few days, but I feel awful for the guy.  Extra treats incoming.

Edited by Damor
That's not him in the video. I would have photoshopped out the red collar.

46 minutes ago, Damor said:

Well, looks like we may have let Rupp overdo it the last couple days.  He's been acting uncomfortable and holding his tail weird.  I"m going to crown myself Vet and diagnose him with Limber Tail Syndrome (links here and here), as he looks pretty much exactly like the pictures/video:

limber-tail.gif

Anybody else had this happen?  Sounds like rest/conservative treatment will clear it up in a few days, but I feel awful for the guy.  Extra treats incoming.

My lab had it about 15 years ago.  It resolved itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damor said:

limber-tail.gif

Maybe needs his anal glands expressed? Those symptoms also occur. $20 to have the vet check them and you really don't want them to rupture. 

15 hours ago, Damor said:

limber-tail.gif

We had a yellow lab mix that got a few years ago, a couple of days of rest and she was back to normal. She was a super dramatic dog so she thought it was the end of the world for a day.

15 hours ago, Damor said:

limber-tail.gif

We had a yellow lab mix that got a few years ago, a couple of days of rest and she was back to normal. She was a super dramatic dog so she thought it was the end of the world for a day.

My dog puked for 10 days starting Good Friday. No lethargy or any other symptoms.  Went to vet and got no answers.  Quit feeding her dog bologna and she hasn't puked since. You get any answers? 

No answers but right when I thought I would need to take her back, she has stopped puking. She has also started to eat some kibble and not just the fat free food. The vet told us to give her heartburn medicine once a day. I think that helped as all that vomiting probably made her esophagus hurt. Anyways, it’s been a few days now and all seems well.

Do we have any trainers in the mix? We’ve noticed the younger pup display some signs of aggression when playing. Things will be going along fine, then she’ll kind of lose her mind and start growling/biting and has a hard time stopping. She latched on to my wife pretty good and noise/scruff grabbing didn’t really seem to reset her or snap her out of it.  The other pup biting down on her doesn’t seem to inhibit it either. 

like I said, 95% of the time she is fine, and we’re not sure if this is just normal behavior or something to be worried about. Never had a pup lose its mind. I can start a new thread if this isn’t the place for it. 

Appreciate the advice, Deej.  Sent Rupp to the vet even though he was getting better (he was due for his yearly anyway), and they did express some inspissated anal sac material on one side that was likely contributing (I'm very disappointed in South Austin's mom, she's supposed to be taking better care of that).

He also had doggeh swimmer's ear, so glad to get that addressed as well.

He's back to 100% loveable dumbass.

derp.thumb.jpg.cb216edfefb1c4ae58235980fc00376f.jpg

• Like 8

Glad it worked out. When the tail starts getting a weird droop and/or they are doing the butt scoot, it's a pretty good indication. Put a couple of spoonfuls of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) in his food a few times a week for the extra fiber. It should help keep them drained naturally.

• Like 1