Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Our Penny had two seizures last week in the middle of the night.  First time I have experienced this as a dog owner, and they were terrifying.    Liver and kidney function both showed normal, and she is only six, so we are treating it as idiopathic epilepsy which has a good prognosis.  She’s on a low-level med and it seems to be controlling it as she hasn’t had one in over a week.  She’s been getting all of the belly scritches and hugs lately.  Would do anything for this sweet face:

BD623FFD-FAFA-48B7-8CB3-EDA916D3C280.thumb.jpeg.643b956892065a246829b42782904ec8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8

That would be yellow cab, but yeah...the separator was necessary to prevent myself from causing that situation. 

The weather tech one is nice and easy to put up and take down for anyone in need of keeping dog hair out or dog out of front two seats 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

17 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Our Penny had two seizures last week in the middle of the night.  First time I have experienced this as a dog owner, and they were terrifying.    Liver and kidney function both showed normal, and she is only six, so we are treating it as idiopathic epilepsy which has a good prognosis.  She’s on a low-level med and it seems to be controlling it as she hasn’t had one in over a week.  She’s been getting all of the belly scritches and hugs lately.  Would do anything for this sweet face:

BD623FFD-FAFA-48B7-8CB3-EDA916D3C280.thumb.jpeg.643b956892065a246829b42782904ec8.jpegA

My wife said she saw a post like yours on the facebook group I Own a Wiggle Butt, 35,000 Ausie owners.  Glad your girl is doing better.  Stay strong sweet Penny!

On 10/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Paco said:

Thanks for knocking over my Webber you two dipshits56a135cc44e8ebcd4edb8b641b801a95.jpg

This is my buddy's mastiff running away after getting his head stuck in the arm of an iron chair and reigning holy holy all over the patio, trying to get it off his head, knocking over his Webber gas grill in his path. . 

It was a flurry of panic, destruction and confusion for all parties involved. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Haven't posted Kevin in a while. He's still good, still alive, pretty rickety but he's a good boy.

We just moved from Austin to Raleigh. Stopped for a few weeks at my folks place in The Woodlands, then loaded up and drove ~1250 miles, stopping near NOLA and Atlanta along the way. Quite a trip for the pups (Sully is the little shithead).

Longcat post. It's been an adventure for the pups.

Kev resting up in The Woods.

1kev1.jpg

Sully gets in the bag whenever we're packing

2sully1.jpg

Hitting the road

dogroad.jpg

hotel puppies

3sullkevhotel.jpg

Kev hasn't slept on the bed in a while but was begging up in the hotel. poor little homey (he got up)

4kevhotel.jpg

Little dog shakes before getting in and then spends the drive like this

5sullroad.jpg

again with wanting to be on the bed in Atlanta

7kevhotel.jpg

road warriors

6sullkevroad.jpg

arrived at the temporary apartment we'll be at for a few months

8kevhome.jpg

crying for their mom to come back but they aren't sure which one is the front door

9dogdoor.jpg

Just an old puppy

10goodpuppy.jpg

dogs are great. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to handle keeping their shit together in an apartment, but they seemed to get it pretty quick that this place is finally a bit permanent.

I got Kevin as a puppy in early 2009, soon after I finished school. He's been through a lot of shit. He's got arthritis in his back and I have to be careful getting him up the stairs to this apartment. I'm really glad he made it here, really looking forward to getting him into some more permanent digs. Hoping he enjoys the slightly cooler NC weather. This is a whole new chapter in our lives - I'd been with the same employer for 11.5 years, I've lived in Texas my entire life. He was next to me when I got married a couple years back, he's here for the move and the new job excitement, and I'm hoping he'll stick around to see the next little human puppy we're about to bring into the mix.

kevpuppy1.jpg

What a combo these two make!  Thanks for taking us on your adventure allowing us to share the trip vicariously through the pictures.  Hope Kev gets to give a big wet kiss to your next newborn and that your family finds peace and serenity in NC.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

He was looking, but he didn't find any. That beach isn't a normal turtle nesting area (greens and loggerheads).

So, inquiring minds want to know if you comforted him with a bowl of turtle soup?😀

On 10/25/2020 at 8:47 PM, Celery Man said:

Haven't posted Kevin in a while. He's still good, still alive, pretty rickety but he's a good boy.

We just moved from Austin to Raleigh. Stopped for a few weeks at my folks place in The Woodlands, then loaded up and drove ~1250 miles, stopping near NOLA and Atlanta along the way. Quite a trip for the pups (Sully is the little shithead).

Longcat post. It's been an adventure for the pups.

Kev resting up in The Woods.

1kev1.jpg

Sully gets in the bag whenever we're packing

2sully1.jpg

Hitting the road

dogroad.jpg

hotel puppies

3sullkevhotel.jpg

Kev hasn't slept on the bed in a while but was begging up in the hotel. poor little homey (he got up)

4kevhotel.jpg

Little dog shakes before getting in and then spends the drive like this

5sullroad.jpg

again with wanting to be on the bed in Atlanta

7kevhotel.jpg

road warriors

6sullkevroad.jpg

arrived at the temporary apartment we'll be at for a few months

8kevhome.jpg

crying for their mom to come back but they aren't sure which one is the front door

9dogdoor.jpg

Just an old puppy

10goodpuppy.jpg

dogs are great. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to handle keeping their shit together in an apartment, but they seemed to get it pretty quick that this place is finally a bit permanent.

I got Kevin as a puppy in early 2009, soon after I finished school. He's been through a lot of shit. He's got arthritis in his back and I have to be careful getting him up the stairs to this apartment. I'm really glad he made it here, really looking forward to getting him into some more permanent digs. Hoping he enjoys the slightly cooler NC weather. This is a whole new chapter in our lives - I'd been with the same employer for 11.5 years, I've lived in Texas my entire life. He was next to me when I got married a couple years back, he's here for the move and the new job excitement, and I'm hoping he'll stick around to see the next little human puppy we're about to bring into the mix.

kevpuppy1.jpg

I love the old dogs with the gray faces.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I love the old dogs with the gray faces.

Me too-probably because I resemble them.  Some of the best memories of childhood are napping on the front porch swing at my grandmother's with an old dog right beside me.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:25 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Hi, I just destroyed two plants.

tigger-plant-killer.jpg

any idea what the parents were?  We have a similar looking brindle mutt puppy and my guess is a retriever/hound mix...was thinking of doing the DNA test but saw a few out there, anyone here try a decent one?

1 hour ago, ballrific said:

any idea what the parents were?  We have a similar looking brindle mutt puppy and my guess is a retriever/hound mix...was thinking of doing the DNA test but saw a few out there, anyone here try a decent one?

I've used Wisdom Panel three times.  It's well worth it, IMO.

https://www.wisdompanel.com/en-us

1 hour ago, ballrific said:

No, I tried to find a vet that had DNA kits in Cozumel, but that's pretty much an expensive novelty that most Mexicans can't afford.

Wisdom Panel looks interesting, but seems a little steep at $100 for something you can guess by looking at him.

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

My friend and her husband adopted a special-needs baby at birth - his mom was on drugs and he has a seizure disorder caused by schizencephaly. Two years ago they were able to raise enough money to get on a list for a service dog for him, and today he and the other kids placed with dogs from this training group got to meet their dogs! The agency recorded all the kids and their families as they met their pups so if you want to tear up and/or forget about election stuff for a while, here's the video: https://fb.watch/1w0lvKLgHq/

These dogs have been training with the service dog agency since they were puppies and it takes about 2 years for them to be ready. This is Al:

298138843_image(23).thumb.png.a0a2f845299b55a77145313cc149f785.png

WOW!  It's getting very smoky in my living room after watching the video.  Thanks for posting.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, austingirl said:

My friend and her husband adopted a special-needs baby at birth - his mom was on drugs and he has a seizure disorder caused by schizencephaly. Two years ago they were able to raise enough money to get on a list for a service dog for him, and today he and the other kids placed with dogs from this training group got to meet their dogs! The agency recorded all the kids and their families as they met their pups so if you want to tear up and/or forget about election stuff for a while, here's the video: https://fb.watch/1w0lvKLgHq/

These dogs have been training with the service dog agency since they were puppies and it takes about 2 years for them to be ready. This is Al:

Beautiful pup.

Granted I don't know much about the service animal process but it's shameful that a family would have to raise money just to be put on a list for a service dog.

3 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Beautiful pup.

Granted I don't know much about the service animal process but it's shameful that a family would have to raise money just to be put on a list for a service dog.

I only know about the service they used (4 Paws for Ability) but I believe it cost them $17k. It's a lot, and certainly out of reach for many people, but the price doesn't surprise me considering that it takes two years to train them. This is a video they did about the process.

10 hours ago, austingirl said:

The fact that in 2020 dogs haven’t decided that collectively we don’t fucking deserve them shows how truly awesome they are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Went for a normal run this morning with Kora, my 3 year old border collie (picture over the last few pages). We were attacked by a loose dog about 1.5 miles in to the run. Large 80 pound chow mix is what I think it was. No owner in sight, no collar or tags.

Called animal control. Wife came and picked us up. Kora is doing ok, took her to the vet and got her shaved a bit, antibiotics and pain meds. They also cleaned out the wounds really well and we will monitor for infection. She’s got two teeth punctures (one on each hip) and she’s walking around like a 90 year old woman. She’s up to date on her rabies vaccine which is good. 

Working on tracking down the owner of the dog. I’m heading to the pound at 5 to see if it’s been picked up. I’m being checked out by an urgent care as I have a pretty bad cut on my right calf that may require stitches. If it’s from a mouth, I may have to get the rabies shot. When that dog came at my dog, I did everything in my power to protect her. She’s my buddy. No running for her for a month. That will probably hurt her feelings more than the fight she got into.

26 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Went for a normal run this morning with Kora, my 3 year old border collie (picture over the last few pages). We were attacked by a loose dog about 1.5 miles in to the run. Large 80 pound chow mix is what I think it was. No owner in sight, no collar or tags.

Called animal control. Wife came and picked us up. Kora is doing ok, took her to the vet and got her shaved a bit, antibiotics and pain meds. They also cleaned out the wounds really well and we will monitor for infection. She’s got two teeth punctures (one on each hip) and she’s walking around like a 90 year old woman. She’s up to date on her rabies vaccine which is good. 

Working on tracking down the owner of the dog. I’m heading to the pound at 5 to see if it’s been picked up. I’m being checked out by an urgent care as I have a pretty bad cut on my right calf that may require stitches. If it’s from a mouth, I may have to get the rabies shot. When that dog came at my dog, I did everything in my power to protect her. She’s my buddy. No running for her for a month. That will probably hurt her feelings more than the fight she got into.

Damn.  Something similar happened to my buddy a while back.  Hope everyone recovers.

47 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Oh my god, I'm so sorry and glad you and Kora are ok. So you were able to subdue the dog and keep it there till animal control got it? I carry pepper spray for stuff like this. :(

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Oh my god, I'm so sorry and glad you and Kora are ok. So you were able to subdue the dog and keep it there till animal control got it? I carry pepper spray for stuff like this. :(

From now on, I'm planning on it.  Sadly, no, I was unable to subdue the dog until animal control got there.  It was able to run off as I checked over my dog.  I've been driving around the area looking for it and am monitoring the intakes of the animal shelter and hopefully it turns up.  Probably won't but who knows?  I'm just glad my dog is ok.  Currently laying on the couch dozing about to eat a bacon cheeseburger pattie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Deej said:

She took a flying leap off the deck today when the others took off after a squirrel. Cleared about 10 feet. Amazing, although you could see the look of instant regret on her face when she landed

You mean the look of you'd see if it was your 105 year old grandparent-that 7 human years for 1 dog year thing is a beyotch!!

Edited by pch