Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

He's sooooo skinny though.  Any tips for weight gain?  He is vet cleared and otherwise healthy and energetic.  He loves treats and bullies, but isn't too interested in the dry kibble.  He's also a grazer, which will definitely not work with the other dog.

Edited by TexasHooch

my black lab, Sadie... was not hyper energetic when eating... she's a lab, so yeah, she chowed, but there wasnt any real urgency when she ate.... So she didnt graze, but she didnt hoover the kibble either.

I then introduced Chloe, the firecracker puppy (who had been fostered for a few weeks with lots of other dogs, so she ate fast), and suddenly Sadie turned into a hoover vacuum.   Its been 2 years.... when I put the food down she has to finish it before Chloe or she knows she wont finish it.

so long way of saying the grazers figure out pretty quick that they need to chow now.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

mid weight mutt.  45lbs

got her from the Lab Rescue group. got the DNA test done on her.  1/4 Great Pyr, 1/8 Lab, 1/8 Heeler, 50% various indecipherable asian breeds -  like the Chow.

Angle and ears made her look like our 12 lb weiner dog/dachsund/mutt did when he was younger, hence the question.  I was way off!

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

my black lab, Sadie... was not hyper energetic when eating... she's a lab, so yeah, she chowed, but there wasnt any real urgency when she ate.... So she didnt graze, but she didnt hoover the kibble either.

I then introduced Chloe, the firecracker puppy (who had been fostered for a few weeks with lots of other dogs, so she ate fast), and suddenly Sadie turned into a hoover vacuum.   Its been 2 years.... when I put the food down she has to finish it before Chloe or she knows she wont finish it.

so long way of saying the grazers figure out pretty quick that they need to chow now.

• Hook 'Em 1

He's sooooo skinny though.  Any tips for weight gain?  He is vet cleared and otherwise healthy and energetic.  He loves treats and bullies, but isn't too interested in the dry kibble.  He's also a grazer, which will definitely not work with the other dog.

Samson is the same way. He eventually gets through five cups of dry food a day but he never seems excited about it and he still looks super skinny. Imma try a different brand when this bag starts to run out (Costco brand for now).

5 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

keep his weight down and be happy about it. too many dog owners raise fat fuck dogs. it accelerates the onset of arthritis and ages them faster than anything else will.

you don’t need to feed them what the bag says to feed them. 

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Samson is the same way. He eventually gets through five cups of dry food a day but he never seems excited about it and he still looks super skinny. Imma try a different brand when this bag starts to run out (Costco brand for now).

Eli is a terrible eater and has to be coaxed to eat.  He looks fantastic and his weight is holding steady at 80 lbs so I try to avoid worrying about his picky eating.  This is now his loveseat.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, futureman said:

keep his weight down and be happy about it. too many dog owners raise fat fuck dogs. it accelerates the onset of arthritis and ages them faster than anything else will.

you don’t need to feed them what the bag says to feed them. 

I hear you, and generally agree, but nah.  He's very underweight- emaciated really. 

Given his high interest in people food and low interest in dog food, I'm beginning to believe that his original owner fed him a lot of real food.  It's been about two months since he was surrendered and, along with the stress, I think he's just having a hard time adjusting to dog food.  We're going to experiment with a few different kinds of food and see what happens but he's in the wrong family if he thinks he's getting table scraps.  That will never happen.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I hear you, and generally agree, but nah.  He's very underweight- emaciated really. 

Given his high interest in people food and low interest in dog food, I'm beginning to believe that his original owner fed him a lot of real food.  It's been about two months since he was surrendered and, along with the stress, I think he's just having a hard time adjusting to dog food.  We're going to experiment with a few different kinds of food and see what happens but he's in the wrong family if he thinks he's getting table scraps.  That will never happen.

try putting a raw egg on top of his kibble.    Both of my girls get a raw egg every other day.  Its the first thing they devour.   they get the shells as well every 3rd or 4th time.  they love the shells as well. 

If you really feel bad about the raw egg,  go ahead and cook one on a skillet with no addons, no salt, no oil or vegtable spray.   then toss it on top of the kibble.

Not if they are dominant, they don't. Bruce still grazes. Pepper knows better than to touch his food, but she'll sneak some from time to time.

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I used to pour 1/4 cup of beef or chicken broth on the dry food.  Both of mine became fans after.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, the German Shepherd we gave our daughter got killed..by her bastard ex-husband two days before Christmas.
RIP buddy, you'll be missed.

The last picture taken of him that day with my grandson.1b08f7d1cd9b3a9779e3724c99dd7c2b.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

what the fuck?  elaborate please. 

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, the German Shepherd we gave our daughter got killed..by her bastard ex-husband two days before Christmas.
RIP buddy, you'll be missed.

The last picture taken of him that day with my grandson.1b08f7d1cd9b3a9779e3724c99dd7c2b.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

He picked up the kids from my daughters house around 7 pm. A matter of seconds later she heard Lorrick crying and howling at the door.  She opened the door to let him in and he came in bleeding, laid down and died in about 2 minutes.  She texted the asshole and asked him, "did you kill my Lorrick"?  He told her "I was on a public roadway and he ran out in front of me, if you hadn't sold your house this wouldn't have happened". (WTF???). If she wouldn't have called she would have never known.  That dog didn't chase cars or act stupid.  If he had come back and told her immediately, I could believe it might have been an accident, but he wasn't going to say a word on his own... bastard.

• Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Sounds like someone needs a good ass kicking. And by ass kicking, I mean get disappeared. 

Deej, you have no idea how on the verge I've been since it happened.  Mrs Shooter has had to talk me down off the ledge more times than I can count.

Edited by SHOOTER12

My gf’s Jack Russell terrier had to be put down last week. Poor guy was 14 and had diabetes and an infection which the vet couldn’t get under control with meds.  She asked if I wanted to come in and see him one last time and I did. Had no idea I was going to be in the room when the vet put him to sleep. Fuck that was one of the saddest times of my life. 

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

Shooter, I understand. I lost my shit on the neighbors when one of their shitty kids threw a knife over the fence at my dogs. If they had killed one, no telling.

Deej, I've only felt like this a couple of times in my life, when I was much younger, and it was very ugly.  Hoping my age, and hopefully acquired wisdom gets me through this.  The thing that gets me is that we gave her the dog to help cheer her up and help her have a more positive attitude in life after all the crap he did to her, which nearly destroyed her, and Lorrick did exactly that for her, and that sob just couldn't stand her not being as miserable.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

He picked up the kids from my daughters house around 7 pm. A matter of seconds later she heard Lorrick crying and howling at the door.  She opened the door to let him in and he came in bleeding, laid down and died in about 2 minutes.  She texted the asshole and asked him, "did you kill my Lorrick"?  He told her "I was on a public roadway and he ran out in front of me, if you hadn't sold your house this wouldn't have happened". (WTF???). If she wouldn't have called she would have never known.  That dog didn't chase cars or act stupid.  If he had come back and told her immediately, I could believe it might have been an accident, but he wasn't going to say a word on his own... bastard.

[ex husband spread eagle in the road] shooter to cops: “I was on a public roadway and he ran out in front of me”

cops: what about the tire iron dents in his skull?

shooter: dunno, aliens?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, Hairy Biped said:

I guess after years of checking this thread daily, both here and at the old site, it's time I post some pics of my brats.  I must be crazy to have 3 doxies, but here I am living the dream.  The dapple one is Harlow.  He's actually my niece's dog, but he came to live with me when she went away to college.  He's 6.  The chocolate brown one with the tuxedo markings is my boy Dude.  He's 5 and is nothing but personality.  He'd be a perfect chick magnet if he didn't act like an attack dog around every stranger he meets.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and would never hurt a thing, but he sure acts tough sometimes.  The tan/red one is Daisy and she's a sweetheart if she knows you, but she lived a rough life before she got to me, so she's very skittish around most folks.  I got her from a doxie rescue and best we can tell, she was abused previously before either running away or being dumped somewhere in the Dallas area.  She has what looks like cigar or cigarette burns on her, and a huge scar on the back of her neck.  Despite all of that, she's still a very loving and well behaved pup.  If you discount the occasional trash can raid or climbing onto the table and eating an entire cherry pie at Thanksgiving.  The last picture is from a small BBQ we had this past Summer.  As is customary around here, my 88 year old dad (UT Class of 57) always gets to go first.  The dogs actually got in line behind him like they were gonna be able to get their own plates.  Daisy was actually in line too, but she ran off when I went to get my phone to take the pic.  My whole life, my dad hasn't been much of a dog guy himself, but the dogs absolutely love him and he loves them to.  When he's visiting, nobody else gets attention from them.

dude and harlow.jpg

dude 16.jpg

Daisy 2.jpg

dude 11.jpg

WaitingInLine4BBQ.jpg

I posted on here that one of our 3 year old doxies passed away a month ago and it’s still tough. He looked just like your boy and I have a picture of him in a jersey just like you posted. He was a constant barker and acted tough but a sweet heart. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fuck. Came to this thread for some doggo pics since this week has been a bit shit on many levels and then I see Shooter’s story. Rage. Any plans to press charges?

Doggo pic:

35d4a23c023ed5a45e222fe9b007d216.jpg

Can't prove anything as far as it being intentional or I would have already gone after him.

Beautiful doggo pic.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, TexasHooch said:

Thanks to all who offered advice.  We ended up mixing the kibble with just a little bit of peanut butter and it's working much better.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:14 AM, Clintonaldo said:

I posted on here that one of our 3 year old doxies passed away a month ago and it’s still tough. He looked just like your boy and I have a picture of him in a jersey just like you posted. He was a constant barker and acted tough but a sweet heart. 

It was actually your post that prompted me to post these.  I was always struck by how much Dobbs looked like my guy Dude and it broke my heart to learn of his passing.  Sadly I sometimes take for granted them being around.  Seeing your posts reminded me to always appreciate them.  They are definitely barkers.  In fact I have a joke where I say that dachshund is German for "barks at nothing".  But they really are great little dogs, and my 3 enrich my life so much more than I could ever imagine before I got them.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

well shit, here I find myself again and am quite pleased. As some know I had quite a few dogs shown on the previous site. Due to divorce, kids growing up I found myself dogless.... Well not anymore! 

This my friends is Sucre. A mutt that fell into my lap and exactly what I was looking for. Aussie dad, border collie/tree hound mom. So a good farm/camping/watch your ass dog. I am excited to share his adventures. This was, and remains, my favorite thread on the Surl. 

63191769220__0C61F99E-8EDA-4C61-A98A-D4ADCD47A254.thumb.jpeg.e706299e0ed44814e2cee7f37ed468eb.jpeg

That boy gots feet for days!  Gonna grow into 'em and bless your life.  Congratulations on your new best friend.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, I am so excited. He is asleep and all I want to do is grab him and start playing. Best thing is I got to watch the Texas win today with him in my lap. Yep, I already explained to him part of his job is watch sports with me. 

As for the feet, yeah, they are, should we say, um, interesting. Will be a damn fine river dog. 

There is nothing better than a dog. Nothing. Well... at least nothing better that lasts that long. Best part is my friend has been on my ass to get one for a few months. She is coming over for dinner and has no idea he is here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

It was actually your post that prompted me to post these.  I was always struck by how much Dobbs looked like my guy Dude and it broke my heart to learn of his passing.  Sadly I sometimes take for granted them being around.  Seeing your posts reminded me to always appreciate them.  They are definitely barkers.  In fact I have a joke where I say that dachshund is German for "barks at nothing".  But they really are great little dogs, and my 3 enrich my life so much more than I could ever imagine before I got them.

Your post brought on 2 hour talk with my 9 month pregnant wife of how much we miss him. He was such a pleasure and I will never get over his loss even though it was his time. Our other doxie and doodle didn’t miss a beat because they knew something was wrong with him. 

I’m glad you posted those pictures. 

• Like 2