Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

On 5/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

more than a little worried about this little one.

51163396982_1d461c4f44_w.jpg

Chloe's 2.5.  In Nov she weighed 43Lbs. very normal proportions.  In the last 3 weeks  she's had loose liquid stools and seems skinnier. 

very normal appedite though. and nothing new- shes had the same food since she was a pupper.

so I took her to the vet yesterday

she now weighs 32 lbs!

shes lost 25% of her body weight in 6 months!  

They drew blood and fecal samples... but no news yet.  Vet was trying to make this seem a little normal, but a healthy 2.5 year old dog shouldnt be losing that much weight that quick. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

results were very concerning.  bloodwork shows enzymes consistent with kidney and/or pancreas issues.   

no answers are "good"

she may have gotten some sort of virus that attacked her organs  ( nothing active anymore)-  there could be some relief with meds and special food.

she may have been born with a birth defect that finally is showing itself  (kidney or pancreas or both)

or  the C word..... which is really uncommon in an under 3 year old.

ultrasound scheduled tomorrow.

unfortunately no news to report. 

The ultrasound didnt reveal anything specifically abnormal.   Vets wanted to run like 6 more tests, but i wanted to give her a break.  we are trying some anti-biotics and pro-biotic powder to see if we can help kick start her gut bacteria back into shape.   but so far her stools are the consistency of baby poop. 

she is still very active, still trying to kill squirrells in the backyard, so that at least seems like a good sign. 

But she seems really skinny at this point.  so if I dont see any improvement in the next week we are going back to the vet to see if there are any other options.  

• Hook 'Em 5

On 5/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, Deej said:

Her hearing had been gone for awhile, but as of Friday night, her vision has left her. I thought she was sick as she wouldn't move, but it became obvious she couldn't see and was confused. She's too old to adapt. Still has a healthy appetite, does her business if I go carry out to the yard (she can't see well enough to safely navigate the deck), but it isn't fair to her. I'll schedule something for this week and give her a few days of love and raw steak before we say goodbye.

So sorry.  She looks like a really sweet girl.  GIve her all the love this week.  You're a good friend to her.

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So sorry.  She looks like a really sweet girl.  GIve her all the love this week.  You're a good friend to her.

She is a sweetie, but she was fearless. Protected me more than once from people with bad intentions. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 5/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, Deej said:

Her hearing had been gone for awhile, but as of Friday night, her vision has left her. I thought she was sick as she wouldn't move, but it became obvious she couldn't see and was confused. She's too old to adapt. Still has a healthy appetite, does her business if I go carry out to the yard (she can't see well enough to safely navigate the deck), but it isn't fair to her. I'll schedule something for this week and give her a few days of love and raw steak before we say goodbye.

Maybe she isn't too old to adapt? Five days later and she has figured out a path to her bed, her food, and the water bowl. This is difficult. Still eats like a horse and handles her business outside, but I can't help but think at her age the next setback is right around the corner. Appointment is Saturday. I will have a discussion with the vet. I don't want her to suffer indignity, but she seems to be coping after initially freaking out. Sixteen and a half is a good run for a 50 lb dog. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Maybe she isn't too old to adapt? Five days later and she has figured out a path to her bed, her food, and the water bowl. This is difficult. Still eats like a horse and handles her business outside, but I can't help but think at her age the next setback is right around the corner. Appointment is Saturday. I will have a discussion with the vet. I don't want her to suffer indignity, but she seems to be coping after initially freaking out. Sixteen and a half is a good run for a 50 lb dog. 

when biscuit went blind (at age 6 - cataracts are a problem with his breed), he was lethargic and disinterested.  a couple days later he'd gotten over it and was eating, sniffing around the yard, leading on walks, and even going up and down the stairs (he'd start looking for the first stair short-stepping).  at 16 and a half i'd put up a gate, but if she's figuring it out and not in any pain then no need to make permanent decisions yet.

after nearly a week where i was writing his obituary in my head, at one point flagging down a mobile vet truck right outside my place which i was sure was an omen, biscuit seems to have gotten through whatever it was.  this episode lasted more than twice as long as the prior one, which can't be a good sign. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, futureman said:

how about some crime scene photos? you know, of the deceased. 

I'll dig some up. I stopped pausing for pictures because I'm usually in a hurry to dispose of them before the other dogs try to eat them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This little booger was dumped in the back of a stranger's pick-up truck in Sweeny, and the stranger dude said somebody had to come get him before midnight or he'd shoot it. So my daughter and I took it. (I trust y'all on this thread, and this thread alone, to not comment on my daughter.) Looks to me to be a German shepherd / Rott / Pit mix. Because I only have a Chihuahua mix right now, I think we need a badass in the mix. Those paws are already lethal weapons.

No name yet.

188413247_10161197365687942_438396266181

Who the fuck is that guy smax or something? Fucking horrible. 

Great looking dog. Glad you saved him. Name options?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I don't think there's pit in there. The coloring on the dog's neck and chest suggests some heeler. Actually looks quite a bit like my heeler/husky mix. 

yeah, I don't see the pit either. I see what you mean about the paws. going to be a loyal one to her and that is a great thing for a kid growing up. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I don't think there's pit in there. The coloring on the dog's neck and chest suggests some heeler. Actually looks quite a bit like my heeler/husky mix. 

He only looks pit in profile, and then it seems obvious.

Actually, he looks less pit than bull terrier, like Spuds McKenzie or that Target dog. Like everybody else I've gotten lazy about calling all bull terriers pits. 

7 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Great looking pup @MaybeACoordinator.  Definitely agree that looks like some heeler...especially markings on his chest.  A heeler, GSD would be a fantastic mix.  Can't wait to see what the hound ends up looking like.  

Walking this little beast will whip me back into shape, I reckon. 

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This little booger was dumped in the back of a stranger's pick-up truck in Sweeny, and the stranger dude said somebody had to come get him before midnight or he'd shoot it. So my daughter and I took it. (I trust y'all on this thread, and this thread alone, to not comment on my daughter.) Looks to me to be a German shepherd / Rott / Pit mix. Because I only have a Chihuahua mix right now, I think we need a badass in the mix. Those paws are already lethal weapons.

No name yet.

188413247_10161197365687942_438396266181

Traveler 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh, I love it.  Really interesting and they give you a lot of health related info too, such as what they may be sensitive to or issues to watch for, depending on the breeds that your pup is made up of.

Didn't someone on here send in a DNA kit on their dog that looked every bit of a Lab and it came back everything but Lab?

Didn't someone on here send in a DNA kit on their dog that looked every bit of a Lab and it came back everything but Lab?

I got a free kit on the dog I had with my ex. Orange cur looking thing. Black spots on tongue and hatred of water suggest some Chow and that was in there but it was like half Newfoundland of all things. She’s not a particularly large dog. I thought the test was bullshit but my ex told me the littermates were obviously half Newfoundland. And those grew to be very pretty dogs. Ex was in one of her feminist moods and chose the last bitch in the litter instead. (She cut our son and me out of the decision; I’d be lying if I said this did not bear on our divorce: I mean, who fucking does that?)

Anyway, Maggie’s been a pretty terrible dog. She’s randomly attacked and almost killed at least two dogs. I feel bad ragging on her because even 12 years after our divorce, once her eyes and nose click that it’s me coming back from her distant past, she gets so excited, she pees a little, just like she did when I’d come home from work when she was a pup. But speaking objectively, she’s mean and she’s ugly and lucky she hasn’t been put to sleep on order of the authorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appointment scheduled for Emma's last goodbye tomorrow. I think it may not happen. Get home today and her old self is confidently moving through the house and up and down the deck. I'm starting to think this was all a ploy to get that steak. 

We'll go to the vet and have a talk. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fucking hell, we had to put Zeus down yesterday.  He was a 12-yo Newfie, so we fully realize that we’ve gotten a full life and more out of him, but damn that felt awful.  
One of the reasons I decided to get a Newfie was the famous epitaph that the English poet Lord Byron wrote on the death of his Newfie Botswain:image.thumb.png.99889d2db19fe754efb0a5dac8d623e0.png

I thought that was beautiful when I read it and it is more beautiful today because those words just absolutely perfectly describe Zeus.

Beauty without vanity?  Never seen such a beautiful animal slobber so much...

Strength without insolence?  In his prime, he weighed 150 with amazing strength.  He could have done whatever he wanted in our house, but he only did what he thought we wanted.  

Courage without ferocity?  One trait that I had read about Newfies is that when they sense a threat, they won't bark or growl; they'll just put themselves between the threat and their humans.  He was less than a year old when I first saw him do that, stepping between my daughter and a neighbor's new barking dog and just staring it down.  

Thank you for being in my life for 145 months, buddy.  

17966074_1304166683012099_7850376735399187495_o.thumb.jpg.4bc6f6a5dfb03c4329a3168760678e4e.jpg

30167320_1649100195185411_7699683429685384439_o.jpg

Best song about a man and his dog ever.

• Hook 'Em 2