Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

9 hours ago, HouTex said:

Is the top one a schnauzer or schnauzer mix? Looks similar to our schnoodle but darker. Our schnoodle is one of the most agile dogs I’ve been around.

She (Gracie) is a rescue, and I've always assumed she is a Schnoodle.  She's 8 years old and still giving the business this 2 year old Golden Doodle/Lab "sister/intruder" (Maeby) we foisted on her a couple of years ago.

Edited by dcbc

Two rescues right now, similar to the two above:  one's a terrier mix and the other a doodle of some kind.  Man, really like this newest rescue.  8mo old doodle.  Seems super cool, loves to play.

Going from 2 to 3 dogs.....anyone done this?  Is it that much more painful, etc?  

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Two rescues right now, similar to the two above:  one's a terrier mix and the other a doodle of some kind.  Man, really like this newest rescue.  8mo old doodle.  Seems super cool, loves to play.

Going from 2 to 3 dogs.....anyone done this?  Is it that much more painful, etc?  

I have three. It's not any more difficult. Just remember you have the extra vet and food costs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have three. It's not any more difficult. Just remember you have the extra vet and food costs. 

I'm good with that.  Terrier getting older and the younger doodle is so smart and energetic, she needs a buddy.

I mean look at that face.  COME ON!  How do you say no to this?

Soup.thumb.JPG.e394d768897750b2c366f9c3868c2968.JPGSoup2.thumb.JPG.4445c8b28ba1fdc0b2a3636b3b0cf22e.JPG

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm good with that.  Terrier getting older and the younger doodle is so smart and energetic, she needs a buddy.

Soup.thumb.JPG.e394d768897750b2c366f9c3868c2968.JPGSoup2.thumb.JPG.4445c8b28ba1fdc0b2a3636b3b0cf22e.JPG

Vacations and time away become a bit more difficult. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Maeby isn't exactly a rescue.  A friend of ours, who has a yellow lab, was expecting a litter fathered by the neighborhood lothario Golden Doodle, Yoda.  He just ran into the garage door when they opened it and mounted their in-heat lab.  Glad he did.  Maeby's an amazing dog, and we're good friends with three other families who got dogs, including the lab's owner, who kept one.  We get them together a couple of times each year.

Three is tough.  Two is a no-brainer.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Awesome.  She looks like one of Maeby's littermates.  Some were curlier than she is, and a couple were more lab like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Nora is broken for the 523rd time.
She had had CCL tear on her back RIGHT leg and underwent TPLO surgery in December 2019 to fix it. It took about 3 months to heal but she finally got back to using her leg and was 99% normal.
She then tore her meniscus on her back RIGHT leg in February of this year and had meniscus surgery on March 29. They also removed a plate from the prior TPLO surgery that they said was no longer needed. She still hasn’t fully recovered from that surgery. She can walk on it but she limps a little bit, maybe 80% normal.
She turned a corner this past week right up until yesterday when her back LEFT leg gave out. It seems that she has now torn her left CCL, which is not totally unexpected because 60% of dogs tear the other side within 1 year, but it’s shitty timing because the right leg isn’t very good and it makes walking very difficult. The vet today agreed that it is likely torn so she is now on the schedule for left TPLO surgery in June. The previous surgeon’s office was being very unhelpful with all of this, which blows my mind as a human surgeon who goes out of my way for my own post-op patients, so we have tentatively switched to a different vet surgeon for the next time around.
If anyone has personal experience with these types of problems and surgery/recovery, I’d love to hear it.
bc3dba08f6b9efbb1a7d5999b7e1acc7.jpg

homer simpson GIF

I kid.

I spent $16k on a 16 week old pup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Pearl seeking out any sunshine she can find in London.

IMG_2295.thumb.jpeg.868a879fac64d34c42a173c84ccbc275.jpeg

What's the famous park in London?  Took the family there.  I think it's near or a part of Kensington Palace?  Pups everywhere!  Hyde Park?  Or Kensington Park?  Wife's first pup was a Cavalier King Charles named "Winston".  Saw a ton of those little guys everywhere.  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

What's the famous park in London?  Took the family there.  I think it's near or a part of Kensington Palace?  Pups everywhere!  Hyde Park?  Or Kensington Park?  Wife's first pup was a Cavalier King Charles named "Winston".  Saw a ton of those little guys everywhere.  

Kensington Palace is on the west side of Hyde Park, which is London’s largest (and most famous) park. It’s a great park, but I don’t get there often as it gets so crowded and we’re closer to Regents anyways. Plus plenty of other great places like Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath so options abound.

Tons of pandemic pups around now. I think something like 3.5 million pups were bought in England during lockdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Kensington Palace is on the west side of Hyde Park, which is London’s largest (and most famous) park. It’s a great park, but I don’t get there often as it gets so crowded and we’re closer to Regents anyways. Plus plenty of other great places like Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath so options abound.

Tons of pandemic pups around now. I think something like 3.5 million pups were bought in England during lockdown.

It was pretty cool.  The wife having watched every historical British show ever produced made it even better.  Fell in love with the city and can't wait to get back!  We were on the bridge, coming from the Tower and having just eaten when that guy got shot and the patron took a Narwhale horn and used it to keep the guy at bay (that they though was wearing a suicide vest)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

more than a little worried about this little one.

51163396982_1d461c4f44_w.jpg

Chloe's 2.5.  In Nov she weighed 43Lbs. very normal proportions.  In the last 3 weeks  she's had loose liquid stools and seems skinnier. 

very normal appedite though. and nothing new- shes had the same food since she was a pupper.

so I took her to the vet yesterday

she now weighs 32 lbs!

shes lost 25% of her body weight in 6 months!  

They drew blood and fecal samples... but no news yet.  Vet was trying to make this seem a little normal, but a healthy 2.5 year old dog shouldnt be losing that much weight that quick. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

results were very concerning.  bloodwork shows enzymes consistent with kidney and/or pancreas issues.   

no answers are "good"

she may have gotten some sort of virus that attacked her organs  ( nothing active anymore)-  there could be some relief with meds and special food.

she may have been born with a birth defect that finally is showing itself  (kidney or pancreas or both)

or  the C word..... which is really uncommon in an under 3 year old.

ultrasound scheduled tomorrow.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

unfortunately no news to report. 

The ultrasound didnt reveal anything specifically abnormal.   Vets wanted to run like 6 more tests, but i wanted to give her a break.  we are trying some anti-biotics and pro-biotic powder to see if we can help kick start her gut bacteria back into shape.   but so far her stools are the consistency of baby poop. 

she is still very active, still trying to kill squirrells in the backyard, so that at least seems like a good sign. 

But she seems really skinny at this point.  so if I dont see any improvement in the next week we are going back to the vet to see if there are any other options.  

4 tests, one ultrasound and almost $1300 later we have a diagnosis.   E.P.I.

basically she deosnt have any pancreas enzymes.    we are going to try some powdered enzymes on her food to see if she regains weight.  this supposedly works for 80% of dogs who have this.  but there is a 20% chance she doesnt gain weight again.   so we are hoping for the 80% here. 

shes still very active and exciteable, but I have noticed her play level is down a bit. 

pretty much sucks, shes going to have to take this powder for the rest of her life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

4 tests, one ultrasound and almost $1300 later we have a diagnosis.   E.P.I.

basically she deosnt have any pancreas enzymes.    we are going to try some powdered enzymes on her food to see if she regains weight.  this supposedly works for 80% of dogs who have this.  but there is a 20% chance she doesnt gain weight again.   so we are hoping for the 80% here. 

shes still very active and exciteable, but I have noticed her play level is down a bit. 

pretty much sucks, shes going to have to take this powder for the rest of her life. 

Pretty sure my buddy's doxie had this.  The powdered enzymes worked and added at least another couple of years to his life.  He was like 10 or 11 when diagnosed.