Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

WTF? 

A Williamson County veterinarian has been arrested and charged with animal cruelty in connection with the death of a five-year-old English bulldog.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/wilco-vet-arrested-after-bulldog-dies-due-to-unsanitary-conditions

Not her first rodeo.

Interim director of WilCo animal shelter charged with theft

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2007-08-24/527025/

Pretty tough question but when do you know it’s time?

Our 13.5 year old lab is mentally there and still eating but she has a giant tumor on her paw and can’t go on walks anymore. She has also lost control of her bowels. She is pretty much pooping in her sleep every night or every other night even though she goes right before bed. It’s really hard to think of her gone but I don’t want to keep her around for our sake. She still waits by the door every time we come home excited as can be and by my side of the bed every morning even though one of us is up in the middle of the night tending to her. She is super happy it seems.

Wife feels like it’s time and it’s causing her major sleep issues:

9 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Our 13.5 year old lab is mentally there and still eating but she has a giant tumor on her paw and can’t go on walks anymore. She has also lost control of her bowels. She is pretty much pooping in her sleep every night or every other night even though she goes right before bed. It’s really hard to think of her gone but I don’t want to keep her around for our sake. She still waits by the door every time we come home excited as can be and by my side of the bed every morning even though one of us is up in the middle of the night tending to her. She is super happy it seems.

It always sounded weird when people said it to me in regard to Murphy but you will just know. The good moments allow you to hold on to them but if she's in pain and her quality of life just isn't there then it might be time. It's the hardest position in the world to be in but you'll do right by her because you love her.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I'm sorry you are facing this.  A couple of vet friends have put it into words that helped us when we had to make a decision for our older dog who was in similar shape last year.  One told us that it's time to seriously consider it when your dog is having more bad days than good ones.  And another told us something that always has rung true with me.  That is, "I'd rather make the call to do it a week too early than a minute too late."

It's so hard and I know from recent experience what you're going through.  But you are being a good friend to your pooch to relieve her from pain when it gets to that point, which only you and your family get to determine.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, Deej said:

What I expect to see after I die...

istockphoto-516631999-612x612.jpg

If you don't see this, turn around, you're in the wrong place.😎

And Big D, she is depending on you as she has here entire life to take care of her.  I have taken comfort in knowing that the last face those wonderful canine kids I have had the joy of sharing life with would be mine.  You and your family will be in my prayers tomorrow as you say until we meet again sweet Hanna.  Good girl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

As mentioned, it's better to take care of them before it's too late. I'm putting down my 13.5 year old aussie today. Mostly blind and deaf, digestion issues, hip and leg issues, can barely walk, and when he does, it's dangerous, like accelerating off stairs and patios. I know he's in pain too and this is just better for him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

As mentioned, it's better to take care of them before it's too late. I'm putting down my 13.5 year old aussie today. Mostly blind and deaf, digestion issues, hip and leg issues, can barely walk, and when he does, it's dangerous, like accelerating off stairs and patios. I know he's in pain too and this is just better for him.

Sorry to hear Rage. She obviously had a great life.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Hope you can take comfort in the wonderful times you shared for those 13.5 years together.  I know that each of the four dogs I have had to euthanize had the best life they could have ever had just as yours.  Prayers in the days ahead for your.

1 hour ago, sdm said:

No joke. You might remember his airedale Maggie which he lost 3 or 4 years ago and he now has Monroe. Both beautiful dogs.

1st pic is Monroe (bought from a breeder in Georgia)our current dog, second one is Jack parent old airedale (rescue) 3rd is Gretzky lost her about 6 years ago( bought from a breeder in Canada where I got my first airedale Pandora in 1990) last is Maggie (rescue) lost her 4-5 years ago.

Monroe has the best temperament of all of them and we got her from Kynas kennel in Covington Georgia 

let me know if you have any questions.  Great breed but they can be a handful  

242A634B-8855-418F-9560-E5A6D7204B73.jpeg

36416519-F982-4E32-8453-A4F9D3073220.jpeg

32F30119-5A71-462B-A8C2-90D97F8911C6.jpeg

EEC6AFE8-855E-4E2B-9478-BC9A829347B1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

Also if you find a breeder make sure they are a member of the national airedale club and local clubs. There are a lot of shitty breeders out there and that is a good starting point to get an idea if they are good or not. 

every breeder I have dealt with has been a pain in the ass, as they want to make sure their dogs go to a good home, if is too easy you probably are not working with a good breeder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Also if you find a breeder make sure they are a member of the national airedale club and local clubs. There are a lot of shitty breeders out there and that is a good starting point to get an idea if they are good or not. 

every breeder I have dealt with has been a pain in the ass, as they want to make sure their dogs go to a good home, if is too easy you probably are not working with a good breeder. 

Got it. I don't want one, but my girlfriend grew up with them and loves them. I just like GSPs. I emailed a few breeders I found listed on the Lone Star Airedale Club, but nothing yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

That’s how the breeder we bought our cavalier from was like. She interviewed us.  Made sure someone would be at home most of the time.  Asked us all sorts of questions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Major looks likes hes tired of you posting bad lol pics in the lol thread.

The various "LoL", "Like" & "Hookem" reacts say that you are not a Doberman & Major is not copacetic with your opinions.

Also, it is presumed that you still have balls that you could like (if you had the bendable ability) whereas Major does not, & that is yet another reason you are not like him.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

She's kind of a nightmare though.  Bites/nibbles constantly (playfully, but still), and barks a piercing bark.  She's great, but a lot of work.

The piercing bark is just the heeler voice. It can be annoying. 

Work on discouraging the biting/nipping. It can develop into an issue with a full grown dog. It's in their nature, but it can be curtailed. 

Anyway, once they are grown, they are fantastic animals, smart and very loyal. Don't be surprised if she ends up having just one human in your household. 

Major isn't the smartest I have ever owned* but he's in the 80th percentile, IMO.  Smartest I've ever had was a mutt my Mom found wandering the streets in Lauderdale.  I came out of class to find her with this sorta "Sheltie / Poodle" mix sitting in the front seat of our 74-ish VW bus & she's feeding it Dorito's.

*see pics / discussion / W-L record re: Porcupine, Possum, Skunk.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

She's kind of a nightmare though.  Bites/nibbles constantly (playfully, but still), and barks a piercing bark.  She's great, but a lot of work.

When she bites give a slight nose bop with a sharp "hey". Its what her momma would have done in the litter but she would have nipped the little bitch to correct her.5