Jalen Hurts seems a poor fit for the Air Raid

sushihorn

12 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s more like 450. Still nice, but not Herculean. Those aren’t solid plates. Not that I’d expect Bennie Wylie to know the difference.  

Those are definitely 45’s.  Looks like 495 at the very least.  Only Aggy would stack non 45’s on a squat to show off a big number.  

On 2/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, Eggo said:

Pretty easy to get 5 yards separation when Hollywood Brown is on the field  I really don't think Ceedee will have as much success without Brown on the field. 

too bad those cocksuckers didn't get three of the top wrs in the country in their recruiting class including two five stars and the top wr in the country...

wait...

we said the same thing about andre woolfolk, mark clayton, brandon jones, mark bradley, malcolm kelly, manuel johnson, ryan broyles, kenny stills, jalen saunders, sterling shepard, and dede westbrook.

fucking bitches find another one every single god damned year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

too bad those cocksuckers didn't get three of the top wrs in the country in their recruiting class including two five stars and the top wr in the country...

wait...

we said the same thing about andre woolfolk, mark clayton, brandon jones, mark bradley, malcolm kelly, manuel johnson, ryan broyles, kenny stills, jalen saunders, sterling shepard, and dede westbrook.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I think it's obvious they posted that video in response to the one we posted of Ossai squatting 405 for reps. If it were up to me, we'd post a video of Sam squatting more than Hurts within the next week. 

The contrast between videos incidentally highlights the difference between the 2 programs.  The Texas workout videos are of players going about the business of getting stronger while their teammates around them do the same.  It's a about effort, hard work and repetitive, slow and painful building of a program through the efforts of many players - few of which are household names and some of them never will be.

OU produced a look at me hype video.  It focuses on their highest profile guy doing a single rep, max lift to impress people with his strength - which was actually acquired elsewhere.  That comports perfectly with OU's long history of bringing in mercenaries to man their team.  The rest of the squad isn't lifting or working; they're standing around watching and cheering for the guy getting the hype.  It's flash and bragging vs grit and hard work.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, sushihorn said:

Seeing the news that Jalen Hurts transferred to OU for a single year struck me as really odd.  For starters, the Air Raid is a system that depends on extremely high numbers of reps so reads and throws are almost muscle memory rather than conscious decisions.  Hurts is a one and done situation and will have little time to learn the system and a fraction of the reps that even a RS freshman would get.

That would probably be OK if Hurts was coming from another team that ran Air Raid or passing spread but that obviously is not the case here.  Hurts is coming from a very run-heavy offense where the QB is mostly asked to make simple reads.  I don’t see any real background in spread passing concepts like the multiple quick reads required to run OU’s offense.  Many of Riley’s plays also require timing to hit a window which is another reason why reps are so important.

Hurts is a good runner and Riley seems to feel he needs that at the QB position but he seems like quite the project and a real risk in the passing department.  Watch some tape.  He locks in on his first read and rarely comes off and throws to a secondary except under 2 conditions: 1) checkdowns or 2) when resurveying the field after flushing from the pocket.  I don’t see the quick 1-2-3 read progressions from the pocket needed to take advantage of matchups in the spread.  That’s not entirely his fault since he’s had 3 different OCs in his time in Tuscaloosa – 4 if you count Sarkisian but he’s not a developed passer.  If Hurts is successful at OU it will be the first time I’m aware of that has happened with a 1st year QB coming from outside the Air Raid system.

If you look at the history of Mike Leach at Texas Tech, he NEVER started a first year player at QB.  Every one of his starting QBs redshirted and most did not play until their 3rd or 4th year in the program.  After Kliff Kingsbury, Leach had 5th year seniors as first time starters for 3 years in a row: Symons, Cumbie and Hodge.  In the case of transfers to OU, Mayfield got a good foundation at Lake Travis.  He polished that under Kingsbury at Tech.  He redshirted a year in Norman before starting.  Murray played under Sumlin and Jake Spavital.  He transferred, redshirted and then played backup for a year.  He had 3 ½ years of exposure to the Air Raid before his first start.  Hurts will get 7 months of practice from a much lower starting point.

This is all quite a contrast to the mature period of the Air Raid offense in Lubbock under Leach.  The Pirate was able to take 3-star whodats, run them through the program and those guys would break records once they got to start.  Lincoln Riley has had multiple QBs recruited under his supervision as first OC, then HC.  Are they not developing into starters?  It seems odd that even a gifted passer could come in and displace a 3rd year player in a system that requires so much repetition, much less someone as raw as Hurts.

I suspect Jalen Hurts may do well at OU.  He will definitely do damage with his feet.  He has a strong and accurate arm so he will make a lot of plays where the first read is there.  He will also miss a lot of reads and make mistakes If he continues to lock in and stare down his primary receiver.  He definitely looks sub-optimal for the OU passing attack.  But Lincoln Riley has made the judgement that Hurts is clearly better than anything he has on campus right now.  Maybe Riley can perform a total makeover in a small window.

Is this just the logical end result of the free agency / transfer portal era?    It makes me wonder what exactly is going on.

Jalen Hurts made great progress under Dan Enos last year and when was called on last year he didn't resemble his previous two years.  He was much improved as a passer, made his reads, and was a  tremendous field general.  He doesn't have the arm talent of Tua, but he will surprise with his passing prowess and still has the footwork to be successful.  I think he will have a great year and we, the Alabama fan base wish him great success.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, probama said:

Jalen Hurts made great progress under Dan Enos last year and when was called on last year he didn't resemble his previous two years.  He was much improved as a passer, made his reads, and was a  tremendous field general.  He doesn't have the arm talent of Tua, but he will surprise with his passing prowess and still has the footwork to be successful.  I think he will have a great year and we, the Alabama fan base wish him great success.

Chill out Mrs. Hurts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

The contrast between videos incidentally highlights the difference between the 2 programs.  The Texas workout videos are of players going about the business of getting stronger while their teammates around them do the same.  It's a about effort, hard work and repetitive, slow and painful building of a program through the efforts of many players - few of which are household names and some of them never will be.

OU produced a look at me hype video.  It focuses on their highest profile guy doing a single rep, max lift to impress people with his strength - which was actually acquired elsewhere.  That comports perfectly with OU's long history of bringing in mercenaries to man their team.  The rest of the squad isn't lifting or working; they're standing around watching and cheering for the guy getting the hype.  It's flash and bragging vs grit and hard work.

It was max squat day.

1 hour ago, probama said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

You might be overthinking it a little bit.  These are college kids.  I can assure you Texas has moments like this during the offseason too.  Pretty much every program does.  Also this is exactly what sells to recruits these days.  Take it for what it is...

11 hours ago, sidis said:

wait...

That's actually a pretty impressive memory if you came up with that off the top of your head.  

On 1/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, Vic Mackey said:

This isn't very surprising that Hurts is leading 70-30%. Hurts is associated with Bama and a national title. Naturally people are going to gravitate towards that.

And the idea that you can just pick your starting QB from another team. 

16 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Much as I'd like to join the "fuck OU" train, Hurts was a powerlifter in high school, he loves this kind of stuff on top of his regularly scheduled football activities. It's not that weird to highlight it.

19 hours ago, sidis said:

ah, horseshit, there was never a chance to dog on half those guys unless it was "you run like a fag" while chasing them into the end zone

• Haha 1

On February 13, 2019 at 9:58 AM, Magus Ossis said:

They have Mordecai and Rattler. Riley will likely be fearless in running Hurts against us, with their schedule otherwise quite winnable; he is a one-year rental, and they have a 5* sitting behind the #11 "dual" QB from the class of 2017.

Well, fuck ousux and their qb's.

23 hours ago, sidis said:

wait...

Well, fuck ousux and wr's... and lr.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Much as I'd like to join the "fuck OU" train, Hurts was a powerlifter in high school, he loves this kind of stuff on top of his regularly scheduled football activities. It's not that weird to highlight it.

Don't take much to join the "fuck ousux train". Try it.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, texifornia said:

And how is it surprising that a dude who has been at Bama for 3 years is strong as shit?

In other breaking news, water is wet. 

Probably the best squat of any OU player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

And how is it surprising that a dude who has been at Bama for 3 years is strong as shit?

In other breaking news, water is wet. 

Probably the best squat of any OU player. 

It’s basically them touting Bama’s S&C program which was already a known commodity. Come on Bennie, show us how much the guys you’ve been developing for 4 years can lift.

3 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Jalen Hurts has good enough skills to get by.

If I'm OU (much like I am at Texas), I'm wondering what my 4 new starters on my OL are going to look like. Anyone remember what an offense featuring a powerfully strong running QB, a fantastic RB, and a "not quite on the same page most of the time" OL looked like?

I hope you're not referring to who I think you're referring to when you say "powerfully strong running QB" 

2 minutes ago, Nope said:

So 2020 RB recruit Zach Evans is already squatting more weight than Hurts for multiple reps. Would post the tweet if I knew how.

Well, to be fair, I would certainly hope that a RB could squat more than a QB. Of course, there is also the matter of difference in their ages, so yes, that is impressive.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, to be fair, I would certainly hope that a RB could squat more than a QB. Of course, there is also the matter of difference in their ages, so yes, that is impressive.

From a physical standpoint, Hurts is a RB

Looking at Lincoln Riley's offensive system and the requirements to run it I'm surprised he'd let Austin Kendall go and take Hurts instead.  The QB in this system must be reasonably mobile to make the keeper a threat as a constraint on the backside of running plays.  He's got to be accurate to hit the small windows created in the passing game.  But most important, the QB has to make quick reads and correct decisions on the fly to make this offense go.

Arm strength beyond a reasonable median and speed beyond that required to be a running threat are not required.  They are less valuable than accuracy (especially on the move), good decision making and familiarity with the system.  Those are nice things to have but lower priorities.  Frankly Colt McCoy would have been terrifying in this offense.

38 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Looking at Lincoln Riley's offensive system and the requirements to run it I'm surprised he'd let Austin Kendall go and take Hurts instead.  The QB in this system must be reasonably mobile to make the keeper a threat as a constraint on the backside of running plays.  He's got to be accurate to hit the small windows created in the passing game.  But most important, the QB has to make quick reads and correct decisions on the fly to make this offense go.

Arm strength beyond a reasonable median and speed beyond that required to be a running threat are not required.  They are less valuable than accuracy (especially on the move), good decision making and familiarity with the system.  Those are nice things to have but lower priorities.  Frankly Colt McCoy would have been terrifying in this offense.

I don't think Riley orchestrated the swap.  Kendall transferred out and Riley took the best option out there in Hurts.  He let Kendall go in the same sense Herman let Rising go.

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't think Riley orchestrated the swap.  Kendall transferred out and Riley took the best option out there in Hurts.  He let Kendall go in the same sense Herman let Rising go.

When Riley let know Kendall that he was going to pursue Hurts, Kendall saw the writing on the wall

5 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Doesn't matter, Hurts is gonna look like Aaron Montana at OU.