OU Recruiting 2020: Everybody Hurts Sometimes

texifornia

Brandon Drumm (OU/247)

Spoiler

*** Let's start with this weekends big-time official visitor in 2020 four-star Brentwood (TN) Ravenwood defensive lineman Reggie Grimes.

Yes, the four-star is taking an official to OU this week and that could make things a bit interesting. However, most I talk with think the Sooners have a long way to go to catch up with Alabama. Roll Tide has long been where most felt Grimes was going to end up, but the Sooners are hosting him this weekend and that could help the Sooners be a player in his recruitment later on.

Am I saying that OU is going to move to the top? No. I am saying, though, that once any school gets a kid on campus, for an official visit, anything can happen. The same goes for Grimes.

An interesting note: Greg Vandagriff, father of Sooners five-star QB commit Brock Vandagriff, is originally from Tennessee. The fact they are on their unofficial to OU this weekend could work in favor of the Sooners a bit. It wasn't something that was just planned, but it worked out that way and Brock Vandagriff will be joining the official visitors on their visitation events. Vandagriff has to pay for his stuff, but he is there to help recruit, along with the other four official visitors this weekend in Jalin Conyers, Andrew Raym, Nate Anderson and Trevon West. All four of them are a part of the Sooners 2020 class.

*** Speaking of Vandagriff, the Sooners are going to have him and Ethan Downs meet for the first time this weekend. According to Downs, the OU staff thinks those two could be leaders in the 2021 class and be roommates in college. They will be recruiting their butts off this weekend, as well.

Also, Vandagriff should return to action next week, according to his dad/coach Greg Vandagriff.

*** I know the defensive recruiting gets talked about a lot, and rightfully so. The defensive line recruiting is one of the most important aspects and recruits are taking notice of the Sooners success on the defensive front.

Reggie Grimes isn't the only name to watch. How about a familiar name in Alfred Collins. I spoke to Collins a bit and he is still in constant contact with the Sooners staff. I also spoke to a source that said Collins is a guy that "OU feels very good about right now". He has taken officials to OU, Bama and A&M. The Texas legacy has taken notice of the Sooners defensive performance this season. The source added, "As long as Collins stays open to the idea of talking to OU the Sooners have a shot."

Collins doesn't have any date set for a decision, but I expect the Sooners to be in it till the end.

*** Another defensive lineman, that could become a target, is 2020 Texas Tech commit Philip Blidi. Blidi is an intriguing guy because he can play on both sides and potentially grow into a solid offensive tackle, if need be.

There hasn't been any contact from OU, yet, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility as a lot of Pac 12 schools have taken notice of the New Mexico product over the last few weeks.

*** On the Jacobe Covington front, I wouldn't expect OU to rush back into it with him. I am told it is more of an Arizona State deal than anything else. Will OU stay away completely? I am not saying that. I am saying, however, that OU has their guys they want at DB in Dontae Manning, Joshua Eaton and Jahquez Robinson. They feel they have shot at all three and like where they stand.

*** Lastly, four-star DB Joshua Eaton is still, what I would call, an OU lean at the moment. The OU win over Texas was a big deal and I am told that the communication with Texas has dwindled a bit. Does that mean he is going to decommit? No. It does, however, show that his interest in the Sooners is real.

I spoke to a source about Eaton and it seems there is some questions that need to be answered or proved by OU. No, it's not performance. The Sooners play on defense has shown that they are going to produce some players into the league. Now, the issue is the Riley to NFL deal. If Riley can subdue those rumors it will help a lot on the Eaton front. There is a strong belief that Riley would take the Cowboys job if offered. People around Norman don't think that to be the case, but it's also something that can't be really predicted.

Still, Riley and Eaton are in constant contact and he has told Eaton that he has no plans on heading to the NFL. At this point, it's up to Eaton to decide. Unfortunately for OU, other programs are using Riley's success against the Sooners and that isn't going to stop. It comes down to trust. If Eaton trusts that Riley will stay in Norman, like most around here believe, then OU has more than a punchers chance at flipping the elite 2020 DB.

When or if that flip happens is still in question. It's a wait and see deal with Eaton and OU willing to play that game as long as needed.

ALSO ADDED IN THREAD

Desoto (TX) 2021 defensive line offer Shemar Turner was at the game and said this, "Their defense played great! It was a well fought game and it turned out to be a good game. Both teams really did well."

It's not much but the fact the elite 2021 DL took notice of the Sooners defensive performance says it's making a mark on players in the DFW area.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, texifornia said:

Just because

I've always wondered about this tradition. Aren't you cheering, even for ou fans, for such a catastrophe? The whole point in this that I see is on par with nascar. Yeah, kinda cool to see cars going that fast. Even more awesome if there's a crash. All of it taken in with a musty, beer odor and the white trash around you. 

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, it's probably better she's a bit spherical. She rolled away a lot of that momentum instead of taking it all on the face.

Lulz.

Or - if it had been an agroid lineman instead - going thunk ... thunk ..... thunk ......... thunk in best human cube fashion.

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon Drumm / OU 247

Spoiler

SoonerScoop Josh McCuistion tweeted out that OU was hosting 5-star WR Demand Demas this weekend.

I was told earlier this week that was a possibility, but nothing more came of it so good get by Josh.

In the meantime, I have spoken to a person with knowledge of the situation in an exchange of messages. Here is what I know:

Demas and OU have been back in contact for just a bit and Demas and the Sooners seem to have hit it off a bit.

I’m told Demas is on campus at this moment and will be at the game tomorrow night to see OU take on ISU.

Lastly, OU did get a commitment on offensive end and being that I hinted more to that on the actual thread, I asked if OU had numbers to take Demas and the commit that has yet to go public. The source said they would, so this might be something watch. I’m just a bit skeptical because of how committed Demas has been to A&M.

I’m gonna ask around and see what I can find out, but this is gonna be intriguing to watch play out, regardless.

Wiltfong on Collins via @Longhornfrenzy

Texas is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite to land Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek Top247 defensive lineman Alfred Collins, but after talking to a couple sources on Wednesday, I wouldn't go ruling out Oklahoma just yet for the blue-chipper.

Collins is also considering Alabama and Texas A&M and took fall official visits to all four schools.

Ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 8 strong-side defensive end, Collins is a Texas legacy and the Longhorns had a lot of steam in this recruitment as the fall began. Tom Herman and his staff are working hard to secure a commitment from the coveted target.

But so is Oklahoma and at the very least Collins is very interested. Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley and assistant Calvin Thibodeaux recently went and saw Collins play and the ballyhooed recruit sees tremendous opportunity playing in Norman as well.

I think this is one that could go either way between the two Big 12 rivals.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Collins will cap his prep career playing in the All-American Bowl. He is a quick defensive lineman with terrific feet who 247Sports National Analyst compares to Curtis Dunlap.

"High-ceiling defensive lineman who could fit multiple roles in multiple schemes," Brooks wrote in his evaluation. "Still growing into tall, long frame. Owns outstanding height and frame length with through-the-roof frame potential. Long and lanky with a ton of space to add mass. Has lined up inside and on the edge in a four-man front in high school. Willing participant against the run. Doesn't quit on plays. Hustles downfield to chase when necessary. Plays with active hands and uses long arm extension to his advantage. Flashes encouraging upper-body strength at the point of attack. Has shown ability to bull rush from interior and collapse the pocket. Plays high. Must improve leverage consistency. Can improve balance and body control. Must expand pass-rushing arsenal. Needs to increase lower-body strength to help with taking on double teams and standing up against the run in college. Raw and still learning, but plays with a high motor and owns elite physical tools that project to a quality Power 5 starter with top half of the NFL draft potential."

Texas and Oklahoma have the top two recruiting classes in the Big 12 with the Longhorns sitting at No. 6 and the Sooners currently No. 12. I'm keeping my 247Sports Forecast on Texas for the time being but if Collins picked the Sooners folks shouldn't be running around saying what a shocker

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Decommitted from Stanford to go to OU. Well, life is full of choices.

OU had 8 players drafted in the NFL just from their Offense last year. Even with a run first QB like Hurts they're going to get CeeDee Lamb drafted in the 1st round. 

Its a no brainer.

28 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

OU had 8 players drafted in the NFL just from their Offense last year. Even with a run first QB like Hurts they're going to get CeeDee Lamb drafted in the 1st round. 

Its a no brainer.

lol doesn't matter how good at football I was, my parents would have laughed in my face for an hour straight if I told them I was going to do that.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

lol doesn't matter how good at football I was, my parents would have laughed in my face for an hour straight if I told them I was going to do that.

If you were really good, three years later you could've laughed right back in their faces when you get signed on in the first round because you had 1500 yards in your junior year and have a multi million dollar signing bonus from the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, Scholz said:

If you were really good, you could make it to the league from P5 Stanford and not waste your opportunity at a free college education at a juco football factory. Terrible decision. Just brain dead.

It isn't that difficult, if you want to go to school pick Stanford over any P5 school. If you want to play in the NFL, pick a school that's going to give you the best shot. On Offense it isn't even close how much better OU is for a WR over Stanford or almost any other school in the country. 

9 hours ago, hornhorn said:

It isn't that difficult, if you want to go to school pick Stanford over any P5 school. If you want to play in the NFL, pick a school that's going to give you the best shot. On Offense it isn't even close how much better OU is for a WR over Stanford or almost any other school in the country. 

Unless he’s a great college wr but clocks slow at the 40. Or unless he gets his knee destroyed playing college football. There are dozens of possible outcomes that end poorly. Unless he gets recruited over at WR and transfers. 

Blindly throwing out the “even with a run first wb Lamb will go in the first.” Lamb has great numbers and scores. The league will find you. No one had trouble finding Calvin Johnson at Georgia fucking Tech’s triple option school. Now you know Mins has that’s elite? Right now, absolutely nothing. He’s a 3 star WR under 6 feet tall. His path to the nfl seems fucking arduous at best, as does his path to even getting snaps at Oklahoma. Considering their recruiting he currently looks like depth. Not even depth at OU gets drafted, son. 

Yours is a stupid, thoughtless, borderline intellectually dishonest take. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Not every player on ous team makes the pros.  That Stanford degree lasts forever.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah - if you did it as a 4 star football player they may not have laughed so hard.  Better football education at OU.  Easy. 

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unless he’s a great college wr but clocks slow at the 40. Or unless he gets his knee destroyed playing college football. There are dozens of possible outcomes that end poorly. Unless he gets recruited over at WR and transfers. 

Blindly throwing out the “even with a run first wb Lamb will go in the first.” Lamb has great numbers and scores. The league will find you. No one had trouble finding Calvin Johnson at Georgia fucking Tech’s triple option school. Now you know Mins has that’s elite? Right now, absolutely nothing. He’s a 3 star WR under 6 feet tall. His path to the nfl seems fucking arduous at best, as does his path to even getting snaps at Oklahoma. Considering their recruiting he currently looks like depth. Not even depth at OU gets drafted, son. 

Yours is a stupid, thoughtless, borderline intellectually dishonest take. 

Unless he sounds like Vince Young or does things like Vince Young or doesn't graduate or graduates with a degree in post renaissance European history or African American studies. A degree with any of the above characteristics or majors which seems to be the case with most football athletes wouldn't matter regardless of school. You think, telling me that Stanford is a better school than OU(or Texas or Aggy) is an original or a very nuanced take? Everyone is aware of that but its unlikely that he will graduate with an engineering degree. Now he could prove me wrong and might be a savant but it seems he realizes his limitations and has chosen for himself.

Football is his best shot and he is taking it. I get that him choosing OU is difficult for some of you to swallow given the orange colored goggles, but he is making the best decision for himself. And OU's draft classes compared to Stanford or anyone really when it comes to offense has proven that over and over. 

Your's is a dumb, biased and a dishonest take. 

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah - if you did it as a 4 star football player they may not have laughed so hard.  Better football education at OU.  Easy. 

Exactly and a 4 star football player with C grades. They'd realize your limitations and let you roll the dice at football over Stanford pre med courses. 

57 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Unless he sounds like Vince Young or does things like Vince Young or doesn't graduate or graduates with a degree in post renaissance European history or African American studies. A degree with any of the above characteristics or majors which seems to be the case with most football athletes wouldn't matter regardless of school. You think, telling me that Stanford is a better school than OU(or Texas or Aggy) is an original or a very nuanced take? Everyone is aware of that but its unlikely that he will graduate with an engineering degree. Now he could prove me wrong and might be a savant but it seems he realizes his limitations and has chosen for himself.

Football is his best shot and he is taking it. I get that him choosing OU is difficult for some of you to swallow given the orange colored goggles, but he is making the best decision for himself. And OU's draft classes compared to Stanford or anyone really when it comes to offense has proven that over and over. 

Your's is a dumb, biased and a dishonest take. 

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  It doesn't matter what his Stanford major is, or his GPA.  His name on Stanford parchment  - particularly in combination with his athletic membership, however meager his contributions on the field - offer far more of a guarantee of future success and security than a football scholarship to OU.  To your implied assertion that an OU degree means the same as a UT degree for an athlete is nearly as farcical.  GTFO with your studied, cynical takes.  You're a half-wit poseur.

Exactly and a 4 star football player with C grades. They'd realize your limitations and let you roll the dice at football over Stanford pre med courses. 

It’s funny how ignorant you sound. I dunno his particular situation, but you still have to get “accepted” into Stanford to play on the team. His grades are likely better than Cs.

He’s sacrificing long term value for an opportunity to improve his chance at an NFL future.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, hornhorn said:

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just saying it doesn't make it true. 

It's also lazy and stupid. Let's just look at who was drafted, what round, and then compare to their recruiting classes. I mean, the information is out there, right? 

Dirt Burglar WR drafted in the past 10 years :: 

2019 ::
Marquise Brown - 1st rnd 

2018 :: 
None 

2017 :: 
Dede Westbrook - 4th rnd

2016 :: 
Sterling Shephard - 1st rnd

2015 ::
None

2014 :: 
Jalen Saunders - 4th rnd

2013 :: 
Kenny Stills -5th rnd
Justin Brown - 6th rnd

2012 ::
Ryan Broyles - 2nd rnd

2011 ::
None

2010 ::
None

2009 ::
Juaquin Iglesias - 3rd rnd
Manuel Johnson - 7th rnd

WR recruits in those years :: 
Juaquin Iglesias. Brandon Cabel. Adron Tennell. Malcolm Kelly. Eric Huggins. Fred Strong. Lendy Holmes. Ryan Broyles. Corey Wilson. Tyler Stradford. Jameel Owens. Dejuan Miller. Joshua Jarboe. Cameron Kenney. Jaz Reynolds. Kenny Stills. Sheldon McClain. Trey Franks. Joseph Powell. Trey Metoyer. Kameel Jackson. Lacolton Bester. Durron Neal. Sterling Shephard. Derrick Woods. Stanvon Taylor. Dannon Cavil. Jordan Smallwood. Austin Bennett. KJ Young. Dominque Alexander. Mark Andrews. Dallis Todd. Jeffrey Mead. Dede Westbrook. John Humphrey. Dahu Green. AD Miller. Jarvis Baxter. Mikel Jones. Zach Farrar. Adrian Hardy. 

there's only so many car salesman and insurance jobs in shitty ass Oklahoma. Do you think these guys would rather have had their "Better football education at OU. " or a degree from Stanford?? 

Lazy or stupid, either way you are dead ass wrong. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 2