OU Recruiting 2020: Everybody Hurts Sometimes

texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t expect them to be what they’ve been the past few years. They are barren on the defensive side of the ball when it comes to talent. Hurts isn’t either of the past two QBs and the OL is going to need time to gel. If the offense is only 75% of what they were last year, that’s good enough for 2-3 extra lossses. They haven’t recruited well on defense and they’re not developing it. Grinch is living off of one good season at Wazzou. Riley is an offensive genius, but that isn’t good enough when there’s a lot of inexperience and the defense sucks. 

A Mumme/Leach disciple forgetting you have to play defense?  Stunned.  Absolutely stunned I am.

19 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

They're gonna be really disappointed when Grinch isn't their savior. One good year at Wazzou.

Sorry to quibble with you.  But I'm questioning the idea (repeated by you and many others) that Grinch had even one good year at WSU.

Grinch's tenure in Pullman (S&P+ defensive ranking):

• 2015: 77
  • 2016: 60
  • 2017: 30

OU's defensive stats those same years under Mike Stoops

• 2015: 17
  • 2016: 31
  • 2017: 43

That's right, Grinch was significantly worse at WSU (against much worse offenses) than OU was with Stoops.  Only in one year did Grinch outperform Stoops (and only by 13 spots).  That was the year that put Mike Stoops on the hot seat at OU sufficiently so that he was fired mid-season 2018.

Go ahead and crown his ass.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Sorry to quibble with you.  But I'm questioning the idea (repeated by you and many others) that Grinch had even one good year at WSU.

That's right, Grinch was significantly worse at WSU (against much worse offenses) than OU was with Stoops.  Only in one year did Grinch outperform Stoops (and only by 13 spots).  That was the year that put Mike Stoops on the hot seat at OU sufficiently so that he was fired mid-season 2018.

Hey, if I screw up its cool to call me out. I was just going on memory and watching his defense, and I could only remember just that one season. 

Regardless, I just don't think he's gonna make a difference at ou. He's already showing he can't recruit. Maybe next year, but they're screwed this year. The fact he even told another recruit they h have no nfl talent on the roster tells me he's not a smart man. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Hey, if I screw up its cool to call me out. I was just going on memory and watching his defense, and I could only remember just that one season. 

This wasn't a call out of you.  Frankly, my post was consistent with yours.  I was just using your post as a platform to rebut the conventional wisdom, repeated by many, that Grinch was good at WSU.  He really wasn't.

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Eh, look at the trend lines. Grinch is better than Mike Stoops and it's not even close.

Now I happen to agree that he's not some sort of defensive savant like people are trying to make him out to be, but let's not go overboard.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

This wasn't a call out of you.  Frankly, my post was consistent with yours.  I was just using your post as a platform to rebut the conventional wisdom, repeated by many, that Grinch was good at WSU.  He really wasn't.

Ah, I got you. I guess it skewed my memory due to being in a God awful PAC. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Eh, look at the trend lines. Grinch is better than Mike Stoops and it's not even close.

I can see someone making that point.

The trend lines are also consistent with someone who started Juniors and Seniors almost entirely across the board in 2017:

msu_depth_chart.JPG

The trend lines are also consistent with a rapidly decaying Pac 12--a down Oregon, down USC, and down Stanford.  Because when you dig in, the results aren't that impressive.  In 2017, WSU gave up:

• 44 to Boise State (albeit in 3 OT)
  • 23 to Oregon State (who was ranked 59 in S&P+ for offense that year)
  • 37! to Cal (who was ranked 62 in S&P+)
  • 58! to Arizona (one of the Kalil Tate games)
  • 41 to Washington
  • 42! to Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl (ranked 72 in S&P+)

17 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Grinch's 2017 was built almost entirely on the beatings his defense put on some truly putrid offenses: Montana St from the FCS and Nevada (4-8 IIRC) in the G5 MWC.   Factor out those games and the pass D goes from #7 to #51.  I feel dirty agreeing with katfid. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Looks like Noah Arinze will announce for OU this afternoon.

Unless he has some serious unreported offers, that offer list is straight up bread. 

And yes, I realize he has a UT offer, but it’s pretty obvious that one’s not committable.

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Last year, OU was ranked as the 124th best university and the 58th best public university in the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings, prior to being stripped of its ranking due to false reporting of alumni donations the university said it had been supplying since 1999.”

Well, at least the lying/cheating isn’t limited to only the football program.

• Like 2