OU Recruiting 2020: Everybody Hurts Sometimes

texifornia

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Just saying it doesn't make it true. 

It's also lazy and stupid. Let's just look at who was drafted, what round, and then compare to their recruiting classes. I mean, the information is out there, right? 

Dirt Burglar WR drafted in the past 10 years :: 

2019 ::
Marquise Brown - 1st rnd 

2018 :: 
None 

2017 :: 
Dede Westbrook - 4th rnd

2016 :: 
Sterling Shephard - 1st rnd

2015 ::
None

2014 :: 
Jalen Saunders - 4th rnd

2013 :: 
Kenny Stills -5th rnd
Justin Brown - 6th rnd

2012 ::
Ryan Broyles - 2nd rnd

2011 ::
None

2010 ::
None

2009 ::
Juaquin Iglesias - 3rd rnd
Manuel Johnson - 7th rnd

WR recruits in those years :: 
Juaquin Iglesias. Brandon Cabel. Adron Tennell. Malcolm Kelly. Eric Huggins. Fred Strong. Lendy Holmes. Ryan Broyles. Corey Wilson. Tyler Stradford. Jameel Owens. Dejuan Miller. Joshua Jarboe. Cameron Kenney. Jaz Reynolds. Kenny Stills. Sheldon McClain. Trey Franks. Joseph Powell. Trey Metoyer. Kameel Jackson. Lacolton Bester. Durron Neal. Sterling Shephard. Derrick Woods. Stanvon Taylor. Dannon Cavil. Jordan Smallwood. Austin Bennett. KJ Young. Dominque Alexander. Mark Andrews. Dallis Todd. Jeffrey Mead. Dede Westbrook. John Humphrey. Dahu Green. AD Miller. Jarvis Baxter. Mikel Jones. Zach Farrar. Adrian Hardy. 

there's only so many car salesman and insurance jobs in shitty ass Oklahoma. Do you think these guys would rather have had their "Better football education at OU. " or a degree from Stanford?? 

Lazy or stupid, either way you are dead ass wrong. 

Yeah.  I made that dumbass decision.  Turned out ok.  Sorry it’s not always that cut and dry.  But the internet so...

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Just saying it doesn't make it true. 

It's also lazy and stupid. Let's just look at who was drafted, what round, and then compare to their recruiting classes. I mean, the information is out there, right? 

Dirt Burglar WR drafted in the past 10 years :: 

2019 ::
Marquise Brown - 1st rnd 

2018 :: 
None 

2017 :: 
Dede Westbrook - 4th rnd

2016 :: 
Sterling Shephard - 1st rnd

2015 ::
None

2014 :: 
Jalen Saunders - 4th rnd

2013 :: 
Kenny Stills -5th rnd
Justin Brown - 6th rnd

2012 ::
Ryan Broyles - 2nd rnd

2011 ::
None

2010 ::
None

2009 ::
Juaquin Iglesias - 3rd rnd
Manuel Johnson - 7th rnd

WR recruits in those years :: 
Juaquin Iglesias. Brandon Cabel. Adron Tennell. Malcolm Kelly. Eric Huggins. Fred Strong. Lendy Holmes. Ryan Broyles. Corey Wilson. Tyler Stradford. Jameel Owens. Dejuan Miller. Joshua Jarboe. Cameron Kenney. Jaz Reynolds. Kenny Stills. Sheldon McClain. Trey Franks. Joseph Powell. Trey Metoyer. Kameel Jackson. Lacolton Bester. Durron Neal. Sterling Shephard. Derrick Woods. Stanvon Taylor. Dannon Cavil. Jordan Smallwood. Austin Bennett. KJ Young. Dominque Alexander. Mark Andrews. Dallis Todd. Jeffrey Mead. Dede Westbrook. John Humphrey. Dahu Green. AD Miller. Jarvis Baxter. Mikel Jones. Zach Farrar. Adrian Hardy. 

there's only so many car salesman and insurance jobs in shitty ass Oklahoma. Do you think these guys would rather have had their "Better football education at OU. " or a degree from Stanford?? 

Lazy or stupid, either way you are dead ass wrong. 

Now do that same analysis for Stanford or Texas and then get back to me. Truth is majority of them aren't going to pan out in the NFL and almost ALL of them aren't going to get a degree that's going to matter. That's if they get one. 

Here's what Jordan Shipley is doing with a very very valid degree in Kinesiology. Yes its totally helping him be a Corporate Relationship Manager at Agamerica.  https://agamerica.com/our-company/our-team/jordan-shipley/

A Kinesiology degree from Stanford is not that much better than the same degree from Texas or Oklahoma or UNT. But a WR at Oklahoma is about ten times more exposure than Stanford in a system that is geared for them to succeed. When was the last time Stanford had a WR drafted in the first round? I don't know, honestly asking.

You live in the world of US News college rankings and I'll live in the real world. K? K!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cafe society said:

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  It doesn't matter what his Stanford major is, or his GPA.  His name on Stanford parchment  - particularly in combination with his athletic membership, however meager his contributions on the field - offer far more of a guarantee of future success and security than a football scholarship to OU.  To your implied assertion that an OU degree means the same as a UT degree for an athlete is nearly as farcical.  GTFO with your studied, cynical takes.  You're a half-wit poseur.

You have absolutely no proof for any of the claims that you're making especially the one about how a UT degree for an athlete means more than one from OU for an athlete. If you can back it up, I'll listen. Until then stop spouting stupid shit that you cannot prove. You're a dumbass that doesn't understand the difference between college rankings and the real world. After top ten schools in majors that matter, every other school is who gives a shit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Unless he sounds like Vince Young or does things like Vince Young or doesn't graduate or graduates with a degree in post renaissance European history or African American studies. A degree with any of the above characteristics or majors which seems to be the case with most football athletes wouldn't matter regardless of school. You think, telling me that Stanford is a better school than OU(or Texas or Aggy) is an original or a very nuanced take? Everyone is aware of that but its unlikely that he will graduate with an engineering degree. Now he could prove me wrong and might be a savant but it seems he realizes his limitations and has chosen for himself.

Football is his best shot and he is taking it. I get that him choosing OU is difficult for some of you to swallow given the orange colored goggles, but he is making the best decision for himself. And OU's draft classes compared to Stanford or anyone really when it comes to offense has proven that over and over. 

Your's is a dumb, biased and a dishonest take. 

You’re so fucking ignorant you can’t even throw someone’s own words back at their face effectively. 

hey dipshit, Stanford football players have to be admitted under much, much more rigorous requirements then the standard public school, and they get way less breaks. Go look at their roster, there isn’t a single liberal arts English major on there. The go to football player degree tract is this one, Science, technogy, and Society:

https://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofhumanitiesandsciences/sciencetechnologyandsociety/

I’ll save you the suspense, it’s not a program in Poultry Science, General Studies, or Golf Course Management. What your stupid ass doesn’t understand is that when Your “one” chance is a Stanford education and access to their alumni network in Silicon Valley, versus being a 3 star, undersized WR fighting for snaps against 5 star WRs at OU and the nfl combine, your best shot isn’t even remotely the NFL, it’s a Stanford education. And it’s not even close because a Stanford education gives your opportunities for the rest of your life, not one statistically microscopic shot at the nfl. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Now do that same analysis for Stanford or Texas and then get back to me. Truth is majority of them aren't going to pan out in the NFL and almost ALL of them aren't going to get a degree that's going to matter. That's if they get one. 

Here's what Jordan Shipley is doing with a very very valid degree in Kinesiology. Yes its totally helping him be a Corporate Relationship Manager at Agamerica.  https://agamerica.com/our-company/our-team/jordan-shipley/

A Kinesiology degree from Stanford is not that much better than the same degree from Texas or Oklahoma or UNT. But a WR at Oklahoma is about ten times more exposure than Stanford in a system that is geared for them to succeed. When was the last time Stanford had a WR drafted in the first round? I don't know, honestly asking.

You live in the world of US News college rankings and I'll live in the real world. K? K!

You think the UT network didn’t help Shipley get his myriad of jobs? You don’t think a Stanford degree helps their players get jobs? What I can tell you is that an OU degree will get you Heisman winner Billy Simms living under a fucking bridge and coming out once a year for his free dinner and drinks at the downtown athletic club. 
Living under a bridge is pretty Real World for a school’s heisman winner, right? Meanwhile Texas superstars miraculously keep getting hired by our alums, and often by UT itself to do LHN work. Hmm. Ricky, Vince, Shipley, Emmanuel Acho, Cedric Griffin, Fozzy Whitaker. Despite living in Tenn for chunks of their careers Orakpo and Griffin chose to start a cupcake franchise in Austin. Hmm, I wonder why that is? 

JJ Whiteside was drafted last year in the 2nd round. Ty Montgomery drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Not a traditional WR but that Christian Mccaffery kid was drafted really high and has had a pretty nice career to date. He lines up at WR quite a bit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hornhorn said:

You have absolutely no proof for any of the claims that you're making especially the one about how a UT degree for an athlete means more than one from OU for an athlete. If you can back it up, I'll listen. Until then stop spouting stupid shit that you cannot prove. You're a dumbass that doesn't understand the difference between college rankings and the real world. After top ten schools in majors that matter, every other school is who gives a shit. 

Can we turn hornhorn’s name upside-down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NCAA senior players drafted by an NFL team: About one in 50, or 2.0 percent. -- High school senior playerseventually drafted by an NFL team: About nine in 10,000, or 0.09 percent. That's about the chance you have an IQ above 150, as measured by the Stanford-Binet test.

IN 2019 there are just under 16 million HS students, public and private. Well cut that down for to 4 million and call it HS seniors. 
In 2018 Stanford admitted 1700 freshman. 

That’s a .000425% chance of getting into Stanford if you are a HS senior. A HS senior  football player is 211x more likely to get drafted by the nfl than a HS senior will be admitted to Stanford. But keep telling us about kids “1 shot” and the value of a Stanford degree versus anywhere else, even for athletes. Especially for undersized 3 star WRs that have the odds stacked agains three to even get snaps at OU. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think the UT network didn’t help Shipley get his myriad of jobs? You don’t think a Stanford degree helps their players get jobs? What I can tell you is that an OU degree will get you Heisman winner Billy Simms living under a fucking bridge and coming out once a year for his free dinner and drinks at the downtown athletic club. 
Living under a bridge is pretty Real World for a school’s heisman winner, right? Meanwhile Texas superstars miraculously keep getting hired by our alums, and often by UT itself to do LHN work. Hmm. Ricky, Vince, Shipley, Emmanuel Acho, Cedric Griffin, Fozzy Whitaker. Despite living in Tenn for chunks of their careers Orakpo and Griffin chose to start a cupcake franchise in Austin. Hmm, I wonder why that is? 

If you don't think they don't take care of their own, you're trying really hard to not see it. You think they'd continue their recruiting if they didn't? You think other schools wouldn't capitalize on it if they didn't? You have a frog of the well syndrome.

Some people are clueless and helpless, see Vince. Despite many many many opportunities they seem to fuck up and then not want help even when offered.

JJ Whiteside was drafted last year in the 2nd round. Ty Montgomery drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Not a traditional WR but that Christian Mccaffery kid was drafted really high and has had a pretty nice career to date. He lines up at WR quite a bit. 

OU had 8 players drafted from last year's offense alone. Its like comparing Stanford and OU academics when you compare OU and Stanford football. The disparity might be wider in football. 

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re so fucking ignorant you can’t even throw someone’s own words back at their face effectively. 

hey dipshit, Stanford football players have to be admitted under much, much more rigorous requirements then the standard public school, and they get way less breaks. Go look at their roster, there isn’t a single liberal arts English major on there. The go to football player degree tract is this one, Science, technogy, and Society:

https://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofhumanitiesandsciences/sciencetechnologyandsociety/

I’ll save you the suspense, it’s not a program in Poultry Science, General Studies, or Golf Course Management. What your stupid ass doesn’t understand is that when Your “one” chance is a Stanford education and access to their alumni network in Silicon Valley, versus being a 3 star, undersized WR fighting for snaps against 5 star WRs at OU and the nfl combine, your best shot isn’t even remotely the NFL, it’s a Stanford education. And it’s not even close because a Stanford education gives your opportunities for the rest of your life, not one statistically microscopic shot at the nfl. 

Here's the list for Stanford football players and their majors: https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?roster=1714&path=football

The most popular degree on there is Undeclared(53 of them identify with that major), followed by Political Science, History etc. Let me spell it out for you again you piece of shit dumbfuck who never went to UT, you don't understand how this game works and you pretend like you do. 

You're such a dumbass you do not even understand the difference between then and than. You cannot even understand when to use the word "tract" vs. "track". So GTFO with your critical thinking skills. You should sit this one out. 

Edited by hornhorn

2 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Here's the list for Stanford football players and their majors: https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?roster=1714&path=football

The most popular degree on there is Undeclared(53 of them identify with that major), followed by Political Science, History etc. Let me spell it out for you again you piece of shit dumbfuck who never went to UT, you don't understand how this game works and pretend like you do. 

You're such a dumbass you do not even understand the difference between then and than. You cannot even understand when to use the word "tract" vs. "track". So GTFO with your critical thinking skills.

Underclassmen stay undeclared for a while at most schools.

And you're acting like people will consider a Stanford history/poli sci degree some kind of jock joke diploma.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Underclassmen stay undeclared for a while at most schools.

And you're acting like people will consider a Stanford history/poli sci degree some kind of jock joke diploma.

Show me a Poli Sci major from Stanford and I'll show you a student that's complaining about his student loans being too high. As in they do not get paid nearly enough for their time and money at Stanford.

It is a joke.

3 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Show me a Poli Sci major from Stanford and I'll show you a student that's complaining about his student loans being too high. As in they do not get paid nearly enough for their time and money at Stanford.

It is a joke.

We're talking about guys with football scholarships. You're saying a Stanford poli sci degree is pretty similar for your career prospects to an OU kinesiology degree for the same (free) price?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

It is a joke.

Actually most of them are probably attorneys making solid 6 figures a year who couldn’t care less about their undergrad student loans but keep trying to fuck this chicken. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Actually most of them are probably attorneys making solid 6 figures a year who couldn’t care less about their undergrad student loans but keep trying to fuck this chicken. 

So these football players would have to go take the LSATs, score high then get into law school, get through it, take the BAR and then that Stanford degree is just money! Dude...

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're talking about guys with football scholarships. You're saying a Stanford poli sci degree is pretty similar for your career prospects to an OU kinesiology degree for the same (free) price?

No I'm saying Stanford Poli Sci degree is exactly the same as UT Poli Sci or OU Poli Sci or UNT Poli Sci degree. Worthless, unless you went to grad school. 

The five players drafted from Stanford and their majors last year:

Whiteside: International relations. Haha

Bobby Okereke: Media Studies LOL

Bryce Love: Human Biology Lulz

Jake Bailey: Science, Tech and Society WTF???

Kaden Smith: Poli Sci again!

Yeah, real geniuses here with degrees that sets them up for success. If any of them get cut by their respective teams, they aren't going to get jobs in International Relations or Media Studies after that. Despite it being a degree from Stanford. 

Just now, texifornia said:

This is astonishing

Surprising, quite baffling really! 

Alright, it might be too late but let's not ruin this FOOTBALL recruiting thread with academic smack and discussion. My apologies to the recruiting fans, especially you Texifornia, your updates are money.

1 minute ago, hornhorn said:

Surprising, quite baffling really! 

Alright, it might be too late but let's not ruin this FOOTBALL recruiting thread with academic smack and discussion. My apologies to the recruiting fans, especially you Texifornia, your updates are money.

It’s the OU thread. It sucked the day it started.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

NCAA senior players drafted by an NFL team: About one in 50, or 2.0 percent. -- High school senior playerseventually drafted by an NFL team: About nine in 10,000, or 0.09 percent. That's about the chance you have an IQ above 150, as measured by the Stanford-Binet test.

IN 2019 there are just under 16 million HS students, public and private. Well cut that down for to 4 million and call it HS seniors. 
In 2018 Stanford admitted 1700 freshman

That’s a .000425% chance of getting into Stanford if you are a HS senior. A HS senior  football player is 211x more likely to get drafted by the nfl than a HS senior will be admitted to Stanford. But keep telling us about kids “1 shot” and the value of a Stanford degree versus anywhere else, even for athletes. Especially for undersized 3 star WRs that have the odds stacked agains three to even get snaps at OU. 

I don't really care about this argument, but your numbers are way off.

If Stanford admits 1700 freshman (actually .0425%), that's a bit more than the NFL draft of total of 254 (per wiki) 0.00635%. The % being 0.09% is way off for 4 million high school seniors (3600). 

12 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

I don't really care about this argument, but your numbers are way off.

If Stanford admits 1700 freshman (actually .0425%), that's a bit more than the NFL draft of total of 254 (per wiki) 0.00635%. The % being 0.09% is way off for 4 million high school seniors (3600). 

And that’s also assuming every senior applied to Stanford.  Better argument is acceptance rate vs %of college players that make the nfl

21 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

JJ Whiteside was drafted last year in the 2nd round. Ty Montgomery drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Not a traditional WR but that Christian Mccaffery kid was drafted really high and has had a pretty nice career to date. He lines up at WR quite a bit. 

Billy sims is the co-owner of 50+ restaurants in multiple states so not sure thats the best name to choose. Jason white may be a better example. 

8 hours ago, Okcard58 said:

Billy sims is the co-owner of 50+ restaurants in multiple states so not sure thats the best name to choose. Jason white may be a better example. 

If you did a quick google search then you didn’t dig deep enough to learn that Sims literally was homeless for a substantial period of his post football life. You can be damn sure he’s a majority owner in those restaurants, hoo boy. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:29 AM, SydneyCarton said:

LOL comparing Billy Sims to Jordan Shipley has nothing to do with which school they went to.  WTF is anyone gonna hire Sims for?  Look at VY.  If he had Shipley's brains he would have great opportunities too.  The best opportunity VY had was with the damn athletic dept and he fucked that up.  OU has enough alums that would like to give great jobs to ex-athletes if they have even a decent mind for that type of work.  Shipley with and OU degree would still have plenty of opportunity to make money.  I'm not saying UT doesn't have more opportunity - I'm telling you placing it all on where you graduate is bullshit.  I'm living proof.  And VY is living proof.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL comparing Billy Sims to Jordan Shipley has nothing to do with which school they went to.  WTF is anyone gonna hire Sims for?  Look at VY.  If he had Shipley's brains he would have great opportunities too.  The best opportunity VY had was with the damn athletic dept and he fucked that up.  OU has enough alums that would like to give great jobs to ex-athletes if they have even a decent mind for that type of work.  Shipley with and OU degree would still have plenty of opportunity to make money.  I'm not saying UT doesn't have more opportunity - I'm telling you placing it all on where you graduate is bullshit.  I'm living proof.  And VY is living proof.  

I don't know, he seems pretty good at yelling "Boomer". I'm sure there are plenty of millennials who'd find that sort of talent attractive especially if he can add the word "OK" to his repertoire. 

Chicago Doc is right. Any education is worthwhile. It’s mostly on the individual. Yes, OU has a worthless “make up your own degree” many athletes choose for ease of eligibility that does absolutely nothing to prepare them for the future. Other schools (even UT) have fluff degrees as well “community studies “.

That said, my kid would be playing football at one of: Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, Stanford or even Columbia. Given the choice.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, SydneyCarton said:

If you did a quick google search then you didn’t dig deep enough to learn that Sims literally was homeless for a substantial period of his post football life. You can be damn sure he’s a majority owner in those restaurants, hoo boy. 

Did I tell you about the time i saw Billy washing out a fridge at a rent to own place owned by the guy who had his heisman. classy.

bout 96 or so.

22 hours ago, Scholz said:

Chicago Doc is right. Any education is worthwhile. It’s mostly on the individual. Yes, OU has a worthless “make up your own degree” many athletes choose for ease of eligibility that does absolutely nothing to prepare them for the future. Other schools (even UT) have fluff degrees as well “community studies “.

That said, my kid would be playing football at one of: Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, Stanford or even Columbia. Given the choice.

Hell yes.  All other things being equal, go UT.  All my younger cousins and nieces/nephews are XII bound or already graduated.  75% UT.  I promise I didn’t try to convince any of them to go to OU.  I was born in Texas and grew up in OK.  I was admitted UT but couldn’t get enough of the tuition covered as an out of stater.  And that was with $6500 annually in a national scholarship that would have flown at UT too.  I grew up a poor.  

There wasn’t a day I thought my OU education had me on the same planet at UT.  I also knew there were ways to rally in other ways plus later in life.  

Opportunity is what you make of it.  And lots of athletes aren’t gonna make shit of that UT or Stanford degree.  Fuck around and just skate with a total BS degree won’t get the value even a motivated avg student would at these glorified community colleges.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Constant said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Reggie-Grimes-46043136/

Looking like OU are in the lead for Grimes. He announces soon. 

I think what you mean is ... 

Alabama isn't going to take Reggie Grimes, despite his ranking and being a Tide legacy,  so OU has a puncher's chance because South Carolina is terribad. 

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think what you mean is ... 

Alabama isn't going to take Reggie Grimes, despite his ranking and being a Tide legacy,  so OU has a puncher's chance because South Carolina is terribad. 

I’m just glad he’s considering being systematically less physical than Texas.