Drumm on Collins

Brandon Drumm
STAFF
Posted on 4 hrs, V I P, User Since 55 months ago, User Post Count: 0
4 hrs
VIP
55 months

Update 2:20pm

Spoke with Collins a few min ago. He said the visit was “great” with OU DL Coach Calvin Thibodeaux and head coach LIncoln Riley.

Collins says that he is still debating on a decision, despite the strong belief that he has quietly made a decision.

I can tell you Collins does make it sound like Thibbs has the strongest relationship with him, so if Collins does choose Texas it’s not for OU lack of trying. Collins has said OU has recruited him the hardest. Unfortunately, his mother playing basketball there, and him being from Austin metro, has been hard for OU to overcome. Even if the Sooners were in the lead at one point.

That said, we will see how this ends on NSD. I will try and stay on top of this as I get more information. I do think Texas is the leader with OU and Bama still in play. Bama has made a strong push, as they are known to do with their strong recruiting staff, at the end

After noticing how offensively top heavy OU's class is, I went back through the last three classes to see how top heavy their roster is overall on offense.

Jadon Haselwood WR 0.9967
Spencer Rattler QB 0.9942
Theo Wease WR 0.9903
Brey Walker OL 0.9836
Brendan Radley-Hiles DB 0.9807
Trejan Bridges WR 0.9687
Ronnie Perkins  DL 0.9666
Michael Thompson DT 0.9638
Nate Anderson OG 0.9615
Andrew Raym OG 0.9577
TJ Pledger RB 0.9543
Ron Tatum DL 0.9541
Reggie Grimes DE 0.947
Austin Stogner TE 0.9467
Jalen Redmond DE 0.9442
Seth McGowan RB 0.9382
Jeremiah Criddell S 0.9325
Stacey Wilkins OT 0.9298
Marvin Mims WR 0.9288
Anton Harrison OT 0.9272
Jaquayln Crawford WR 0.9267
Woodi Washington CB 0.9225
Aaryn Parks OG 0.9201
DaShaun White LB 0.92
Jalin Conyers TE 0.9199

4 of their top 5, 7 of their top 10, and 16/25 are on offense. The 16/25 number isn't that bad, until you consider that their third and fourth highest rated defensive prospects are already transferred/portaled, and their highest rated isn't even a lock to start because he sucks. They did hit on Perkins (although he's suspended for the first six games of next year), Redmond (stud, but has sickle cell and is in and out of the lineup accordingly), and White (stud)

It'll be interesting to see if they can pick up recruiting on that site of the ball

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

They did hit on Perkins (although he's suspended for the first six games of next year), Redmond (stud, but has sickle cell and is in and out of the lineup accordingly), and White (stud)

Once again, my first thought is fuck you, Todd Orlando. 

Seriously though, really good post. Their classes are too heavy on offense very single year and the attrition they’ve suffered with a lot of their bets defensive prospects makes it that much worse. Getting Perroni Winfrey was big for them, and I wonder what effect their new DL coach from ASU will have. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously though, really good post. Their classes are too heavy on offense very single year and the attrition they’ve suffered with a lot of their bets defensive prospects makes it that much worse. Getting Perroni Winfrey was big for them, and I wonder what effect their new DL coach from ASU will have. 

I never knew Oprah had a lovechild with an aggy recruiting analyst

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sydney? Is that you? 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Getting Perroni Winfrey was big for them, and I wonder what effect their new DL coach from ASU will have. 

Cain is going to be coaching OLB isn't he?  Perhaps he coaches the DE and OLB, but really he's a recruiter. He's an unknown in terms of teaching - his hiring is about connecting with more recruits in California. It's a smart move with the fucking USC/ULCA dumpster fires. 

HammLite Winfrey was absolutely huge for them but at the same time having to take Josh Ellison and him going directly to the depth chart is pretty fucking shitty. 

Oklahoma Sooners grad transfer wide receiver Theo Howard has torn the Achilles tendon in his foot, a source told OUI's Brandon Drumm. His participation in the 2020 season is in doubt.

Howard was a major addition to the 2020 receiving corps with wide receiver CeeDee Lamb's declaration to enter the NFL Draft. Howard joined OU just fewer than three weeks ago after starting 24 games at UCLA.

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Wow. That's awful for the kid.

I'll laugh at Sooner fan pain, but feel bad for him.

In a coldly practical sense, this sucks because they'll be back on the transfer WR market (unless they say screw it and just rely on the guys they have on campus) and have quite a bit more success to point at than we do.

Edited by texifornia

OU WR group is sneaky weak in terms of numbers and experience. They have only 9 - 10 WR next year because of graduation, injuries, portaling. Only Rambo has a lot of reps. Haselwood and Wease will be counted on a lot, and the rest of the experience is on the HB/TE spectrum. 2020 WR was surprisingly weak, unless the Sooners have some under the radar info on their three recruits. 

Norman should be an attractive landing spot for portal WR. I expected them to go after T Black from Michigan from the jump because he brings them basically what they lost in Calcaterra. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU WR group is sneaky weak in terms of numbers and experience. They have only 9 - 10 WR next year because of graduation, injuries, portaling. Only Rambo has a lot of reps. Haselwood and Wease will be counted on a lot, and the rest of the experience is on the HB/TE spectrum. 2020 WR was surprisingly weak, unless the Sooners have some under the radar info on their three recruits. 

Norman should be an attractive landing spot for portal WR. I expected them to go after T Black from Michigan from the jump because he brings them basically what they lost in Calcaterra. 

Nice 1st post.

After noticing how offensively top heavy OU's class is, I went back through the last three classes to see how top heavy their roster is overall on offense.

This has been well described on the Sooner boards.

OU's offense recruits are roughly 4 starts and their defensive recruits are 3 stars. The higher ranked defenders from the 2017 and 2018 classes seem to have a high flame out rate also, as you observed. A lot of this may be related to poor character evaluation. A relevant aside here, the Sooners highest touted DL recruit, Perrion Winfrey, apparently was out some number of games due to off the field stuff this year. This can't be a good harbinger for success in Norman. 

The exodus on the defensive side this winter, I imagine, is Grinch processing a lot of guys that he doesn't think will contribute. Grinch may also feel that getting these guys out of the program eliminates some of negativity associated with the horrid performances of the 2017 and 2018 defenses. OU's defense in 2020 and 2021 will be very thin and inexperienced in certain spots (NT, DT, CB). 

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

the Sooners highest touted DL recruit, Perrion Winfrey, apparently was out some number of games due to off the field stuff this year. This can't be a good harbinger for success in Norman. 

He’s an NFL talent who was forced to go JUCO, so yeah, he absolutely comes with baggage, but you root for a school that lets guys keep playing for the university despite breaking a girl’s jaw, shoving a woman down a flight of stairs, overlooks domestic abuse at their previous JUCO, so and so forth, so you don’t need to worry about that as a Sooner fan. 

In fact, I’d say a history of off-field issues and domestic abuse is the leading indicator for success in Norman. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s an NFL talent who was forced to go JUCO, so yeah, he absolutely comes with baggage, but you root for a school that lets guys keep playing for the university despite breaking a girl’s jaw, shoving a woman down a flight of stairs, overlooks domestic abuse at their previous JUCO, so and so forth, so you don’t need to worry about that as a Sooner fan. 

In fact, I’d say a history of off-field issues and domestic abuse is the leading indicator for success in Norman. 

Oh Burt, that hurt. 

• Haha 1

EP3-3TEWkAE-vH7?format=png&name=360x360

I wonder how this guy felt when OU fired their ineffective DC and hired Alex Grinch? Did he view that as a dysfunctional move? 

Also, the all new defensive coaches at Texas? Giles and Thibodeaux are the guys recruiting this one and are the only guys on either staff that have been there more than a single season. Cain was just hired. Grinch, Odom, and Manning have been there 1 year. HamSandwich is a decent Giles moniker. 

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Looks like OU added another grad xfer WR. I guess this is to cover Howard's injury :: 

Obi Obialo from Marshall

https://247sports.com/Player/Obi-Obialo-79525/

Getting Obialo probably takes OU out of the Tarik Black race as they're similar in size. Obialo appears more productive (I've never watched Marshall play). This is likely a Lee Morris/Grant Calcaterra replacement. Hopefully, he brings similar reliability, blocking, and fearlessness.

Theo Howard is a take for almost every college based on his experience, productivity, and skills. I don't think there are many replacements for him available. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

Getting Obialo probably takes OU out of the Tarik Black race as they're similar in size. Obialo appears more productive (I've never watched Marshall play). This is likely a Lee Morris/Grant Calcaterra replacement. Hopefully, he brings similar reliability, blocking, and fearlessness.

Theo Howard is a take for almost every college based on his experience, productivity, and skills. I don't think there are many replacements for him available. 

I gotta say, for a Sooner you're starting out very strong.

I feel like a Milkshake Duck moment must be coming in soon.

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Why do players continue to commit to Texas?  Because it's Texas you dipshits.

Agreed, but OU has to continue to recruit Texas because it's next door and it produces a disproportionate number of top college football players.

It's obvious that UT's going to win most of the battles vs OU for Texas kids, but this is less true for offensive players because of the style and success of the Sooners offense.

LSU is an example of an out-of-state team that recruits top defensive players from Texas. They've averaged one top 100 defensive player per year from Texas over the last six years. The Tigers have obviously had sustained success on that side the ball, and OU will need to starts showing that type success on defense to win recruiting contests for defensive players.

Collins was only coming to OU if UT had retained the prior defensive staff, and even then it would've been a tough pull vs Bama or others. 

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Agreed, but OU has to continue to recruit Texas because it's next door and it produces a disproportionate number of top college football players.

It's obvious that UT's going to win most of the battles vs OU for Texas kids, but this is less true for offensive players because of the style and success of the Sooners offense.

LSU is an example of an out-of-state team that recruits top defensive players from Texas. They've averaged one top 100 defensive player per year from Texas over the last six years. The Tigers have obviously had sustained success on that side the ball, and OU will need to starts showing that type success on defense to win recruiting contests for defensive players.

Collins was only coming to OU if UT had retained the prior defensive staff, and even then it would've been a tough pull vs Bama or others. 

What QB have the plucked away from state that Texas was trying to land?  The WR class they pulled in 2019 were affiliated with a trainer in the DFW, which Texas seemed to never be in. 2019 WR class was solid for UT.  The offensive ou juggernaut, hasn't hurt Texas on the recruiting trail imo.  Defensively, ou has won a few head to head recruiments.. some which Texas hurt itself by offering/pushing hard at the end rather than earlier in certain recruitments. 

1 hour ago, quigley said:

His best year was 2018, 42/505/4.