OU Recruiting 2020: Everybody Hurts Sometimes

texifornia

12 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

All of those recruiting championships have resulted in a 7-13 record against OU since 2000. When we flip that script, feel free to call me any name you like. Until then, however, go fuck yOUrself. 

But you say that after a typing out a post concerned about Lincoln Riley's recruiting. Do you see the issue?

Edited by texifornia

15 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

All of those recruiting championships have resulted in a 7-13 record against OU since 2000. When we flip that script, feel free to call me any name you like. Until then, however, go fuck yOUrself. 

Stupid cUnT. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, golfclap said:

I could argue with it. 

Hurts will mark the 5th year in a row that the Sooners are starting a xfer QB. 

Riley didn't recruit any of those QBs out of high school, in fact he hasn't had a QB that he recruited start a single game for him at OU (as OC or HC). Hell, Holgorson is the person that identified Carden as a capable QB and talked McNeil into looking at him at ECU. It's easy AF to sell Kingsbury as the man behind identifying both Murray and Mayfield (despite how he handled them, etc). Riley taking on Hurts instead of a QB he has identified and groomed (Austin Kendall) further exacerbates the feeling that he is piggybacking off of other people's work. I'm not saying Riley isn't a good offensive coach or QB coach but I could argue with his impact on the 2 first rounders esp. with the taking of Hurts vs. Kendall (as well as Mordecai and Rattler). You could also point out that Riley was being a fucking bitch cunt trying to block Kendall's transfer to WVU until the whole world shat on him and forced his hypocrite ass to give in.  

Fuck OU. 

So he took two guys that were nothing special at their previous stops and turned them into Heisman winners and the #1 picks in the NFL, but you can make the argument about his impact on these guys?

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Buddy Hinton said:

So he took two guys that were nothing special at their previous stops and turned them into Heisman winners and the #1 picks in the NFL, but you can make the argument about his impact on these guys?

The first douchebag walked on and started several games  at Tech as a true freshman and the 2nd one was a 5 star qb despite being a midget.

32 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Just stopped in to say OU sucks.

This seems correct.  Expanding this line of inquiry to the state as a whole - other than a reserve of fossil fuel which was largely stolen from relocated Indians, the only thing which gives Oklahoma, its university, and its football team any lasting value are their proximity to Texas.  Otherwise they are Kansas or Nebraska.  

48 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This seems correct.  Expanding this line of inquiry to the state as a whole - other than a reserve of fossil fuel which was largely stolen from relocated Indians, the only thing which gives Oklahoma, its university, and its football team any lasting value are their proximity to Texas.  Otherwise they are Kansas or Nebraska.  

There's a straight line of "who gives a fuck" states from the Canadian border to the red river. Might as well incorporate them into the dakotas. 

That’s quite an insult to Kansas and Nebraska.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

The funniest thing is that I said "I'm not saying Riley isn't a good offensive coach or QB coach but I could argue with his impact on the 2 first rounders". The reality is that until Riley identifies a QB, recruits him, and then that player goes on to success at OU and in the draft there is a significant question mark to bring to recruits, WHICH WAS IN FACT THE POINT OF MY REPLY IN THE FIRST PLACE. You don't have to like it, but it's fact.

Five seasons in a row with a transfer starting QB at OU, Riley's entire Sooner career. Fact. Austin Kendal transfer. Fact. Riley was a cunty bitch about his transfer. Fact. Chris Robison dismissed from the team. Fact. Jalen Hurts brought in because Riley didn't believe in Kendall. Fact. 

For our sake, I hope that recruit isn't the Rattler Snake. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

On the Drew Sanders r/CFB thread people are saying that Sanders wants to play LB instead of TE now and that may have something to do with the flip

I'm sure OU would have taken him at LB if that's what he decided. It's not like they have an embarrassment of riches there.

Nah, they just got Sabaned.

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm sure OU would have taken him at LB if that's what he decided. It's not like they have an embarrassment of riches there.

He'd rather play TE/HB for Riley, and would rather play OLB for Saban. Makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

On the Drew Sanders r/CFB thread people are saying that Sanders wants to play LB instead of TE now and that may have something to do with the flip

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

@golfclap, myself and others have talked about this. Riley will always prioritize athletes to offense. It’s part of why fixing OU’s defense isn’t as simple as changing DCs. When your best athletes are moved to O, your practice is set up to cater to the offense, etc., it’s a cultural problem within the program, not just a DC problem.

Good luck with that, Grinch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well, that is his exact quote from the espn article. Alabama LBs > OU LBs per Sanders.

Of course, if he was really interested in TE, he would have gone to Iowa.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

@golfclap, myself and others have talked about this. Riley will always prioritize athletes to offense. It’s part of why fixing OU’s defense isn’t as simple as changing DCs. When your best athletes are moved to O, your practice is set up to cater to the offense, etc., it’s a cultural problem within the program, not just a DC problem.

I believe the official term for this is Mackovic'n, or if you're the player in question getting Mackovic'd. 

21 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

So Riley is not "pulling 5* defense players rather than competing with WVU and Tech for defense players like Bob did"? 

Sorry to puncture the land thief mythology slash excuse making but in Bob's 2016 class, the top 3 recruits and 4 of the top 5 were on the defensive side of the ball.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think Riley may have hired the wrong guy in addition to the systemic issues he creates for his defense.  The high reps vs HUNH creates a lot of bad habits.  The lack of contact in practice tends to manifest as poor tacking and less physicality.  The quick strike offense doesn't control the ball or give the defense a rest and that's true with Riley to an even greater extent than it is for Leach's short passing game. 

On top of that, the more I look at Grinch, the more I think Riley hired the wrong guy.  Even in his one good season at WSU, his unit was gashed by most of the good running teams they faced and especially by those with a true dual threat QB (they were blown out by Arizona and Michigan State).  There were 3 reasons Grinch looked good that year, relatively speaking:

1. The Pac-12 was well into their current decline by then. 

2.  His defense stuffed some real bottom dwellers, especially FCS Montana State and MWC cellar dweller Nevada from their SEC worthy non-conf schedule.  Impressive statistically but not so much if you look at what actually happened.

3. Hercules Mata'afa was able to create an interior pass rush and his quickness was often able to disrupt the blocking and compensate for a scheme whose shifts often left a front that was not gap sound.  Teams that could run the ball feasted on the lack of gap integrity.  Against Zona, Cal, Washington and MSU Grinch's defense looked a lot like Manny _iaz had moved to Pullman.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 6:18 PM, sushihorn said:

Sorry to puncture the land thief mythology slash excuse making but in Bob's 2016 class, the top 3 recruits and 4 of the top 5 were on the defensive side of the ball.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

That's just, like, their opinion, man. 

On 4/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, sushihorn said:

I think Riley may have hired the wrong guy in addition to the systemic issues he creates for his defense.  The high reps vs HUNH creates a lot of bad habits.  The lack of contact in practice tends to manifest as poor tacking and less physicality.  The quick strike offense doesn't control the ball or give the defense a rest and that's true with Riley to an even greater extent than it is for Leach's short passing game. 

On top of that, the more I look at Grinch, the more I think Riley hired the wrong guy.  Even in his one good season at WSU, his unit was gashed by most of the good running teams they faced and especially by those with a true dual threat QB (they were blown out by Arizona and Michigan State).  There were 3 reasons Grinch looked good that year, relatively speaking:

1. The Pac-12 was well into their current decline by then. 

2.  His defense stuffed some real bottom dwellers, especially FCS Montana State and MWC cellar dweller Nevada from their SEC worthy non-conf schedule.  Impressive statistically but not so much if you look at what actually happened.

3. Hercules Mata'afa was able to create an interior pass rush and his quickness was often able to disrupt the blocking and compensate for a scheme whose shifts often left a front that was not gap sound.  Teams that could run the ball feasted on the lack of gap integrity.  Against Zona, Cal, Washington and MSU Grinch's defense looked a lot like Manny _iaz had moved to Pullman.

Grinch wasn't very impressive at Ohio State last year either. And that's with as many bluechips as you are going to find anywhere in the country and against Big 10 offenses. Granted, there was some other shit going on there with his being Co-DC and the Urban Meyer circus, but I don't think there is any way to spin that OSU underachieved last season. They gave up a ton of big plays and had trouble stopping the run.

It's going to be interesting to see how Riley manages that program going forward because he had the skids greased for him when he took over that job. I'm sure, much to my chagrin, that he's going to get it figured out but he hasn't shown any willingness to go outside of his comfort zone with his hires. He's been tied to the hip with Ruffin McNeil (Mike Leach/Tech guy) since day 1. Bennie Wylie was a Mike Leach/Tech guy. Grinch is a Mike Leach/ Washington State guy. If I'm not mistaken, the other new defensive assistants were all Grinch guys from WSU, too. I've said this before, but it looks like he's building Texas Tech in Norman.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Grinch wasn't very impressive at Ohio State last year either. And that's with as many bluechips as you are going to find anywhere in the country and against Big 10 offenses. Granted, there was some other shit going on there with his being Co-DC and the Urban Meyer circus, but I don't think there is any way to spin that OSU underachieved last season. They gave up a ton of big plays and had trouble stopping the run.

It's going to be interesting to see how Riley manages that program going forward because he had the skids greased for him when he took over that job. I'm sure, much to my chagrin, that he's going to get it figured out but he hasn't shown any willingness to go outside of his comfort zone with his hires. He's been tied to the hip with Ruffin McNeil (Mike Leach/Tech guy) since day 1. Bennie Wylie was a Mike Leach/Tech guy. Grinch is a Mike Leach/ Washington State guy. If I'm not mistaken, the other new defensive assistants were all Grinch guys from WSU, too. I've said this before, but it looks like he's building Texas Tech in Norman.

To be fair, "Mike Leach with 5-star talent" is a prospect the world has wanted to see for a long time.