Showtime's Black Friday

billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...

did nobody keep watching this?  just saw a few episodes at a friend’s house.  I didn’t know this show existed.  

don cheadle is excellent and I’m not a cheadle fan.  the 80s setting is well done and the writing is legitimately funny.  surprised more people aren’t talking about it. 

I just watched the first 5 or 6, whatever it is now. I'm a Cheadle fan and this show seems to have all the parts to be pretty good, but it's just not. I don't hate it and I'll continue watching, but it's really lacking chemistry or writing or something. I'm not good at putting my finger on that stuff. 

Seems like every joke is so unoriginal and every part that is supposed to be serious isn't delivered well at all. Also had no idea that the lambo limo was a real thing. That's fucking dumb.

But any half decent show about some high flying coke heads gets my attention, especially in a world that's so foreign to me. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cheadle continues to fly under the radar. I feel like this show will be forgotten by the masses like the excellent House of Lies. 

Is it a Showtime thing? 

I agree he's under the radar. He's great. I doubt this lasts longer than this season or maybe 2. At least House of Lies got 5? Maybe it's a Seth Rogen thing here. Depending on how much he had to do with it, he can fuck up anything. 

This show is much better than I was expecting. Not only is Cheadle great, the whole cast is. Regina Hall is sexy and funny. They need to write in more for Horatio Sanz. “The LaGuardia Spread” cracked me up. Dude was going scorched earth.

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, RPM said:

This show is much better than I was expecting. Not only is Cheadle great, the whole cast is. Regina Hall is sexy and funny. They need to write in more for Horatio Sanz. “The LaGuardia Spread” cracked me up. Dude was going scorched earth.

I haven't watched an episode since The LaGuardia Spread. Cheadle is great, but not great enough to make me want to pay for Showtime. Throw some free trials my way and I'll gladly binge City on a Hill and Black Monday.