Deer Processing near Austin

Bevo

• 1 year later...

I like Hudson’s meats in South Congress. Always get a kick out of the line of pickup trucks with dead animals lined up with hipsters strolling by on the sidewalk. 

For real though, the venison bratwurst they put out is unique, and delicious. 

I've taken my deer to Granzin's for 20 years.  However, they changed their casing about three years ago.  Both the dried smoked sausage (which was my favorite) and the regular smoked sausage now have very firm casings that almost taste synthetic, IMO.  My wife shot her first deer this past winter and requested that we take it to Hudson's because she's a big fan of their jalapeno cheddar sausage.  I was impressed with everything we got from there.  If we don't make our own sausage this winter, we'll be going to Hudson's.  

A buddy takes his to The Buck Stops Here in Oak HIll.  Supposed to be the former head dude at Hudson's that now has his own place.  I never thought of trying Johnny G's, but their other stuff is pretty good, so we may have to give that one a shot eventually.  

Been using Hunters Creek (Cole is good peple). Used brizemdines in Bertram (great buck sticks) but they like the skin on (so his guys skin and keep the hair outta the meat). Hard for me since I hunt the panhandle and mexico. Brizendines told me outside of deer season hed take wuartered animals.